Sign in to follow this  
ShovelnTC

2083 movement info needed

ShovelnTC

Well once I establish a method to actualy see what I am doing I have been given an old watch to tinker on.

Although it is in bad external shape and the donor has been told to expect total or at least total destruction I would if possible like to have at least a glimmer of hope of getting this fella to run again.

Problem is that I can find little info on the movenet and as such is unlikely to have parts available.

I did find info on an "AS" version but this was fitted with a digital module for some pretty strange digital dials.

From initial inspection it actualy looks pretty good as far as no visible signs of wear on teeth etc and it will run for a short time upon winding but only for seconds before stopping.

I suspect (Hope) it just needs servicing but can't find any breakdown diagrams such as the great ones from ETA that show all of the parts and the grade of oil to use at each point.

Anyone with any knowledge of this 2083 movement?

Cheers,

GenTLe

This one? http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&AS_2083

Use the "separate boxes and pictures" method: unassemble it by functional parts (take as reference the ETA charts), like the main wheel train and its bridge and screws in a little plastic box; the balance, balance bridge, antishock jewels and its screws in another; the autowind bridge and all its parts in another etc.

While disassembly take a LOT of pictures with your phone or such, to use them later as a reference if you get lost at some point.

About the oils: 9010 for the antishock jewels, the escapement wheel and 4th wheel pinions jewels (and second hand wheel if the second hand is not on the 4th wheel, like on the Miyota 8215), HP1300 for the 2nd (centre) wheel and 3rd wheel jewels, as like as for all the other jewels, the posts of the hour train wheels on the upper part of the main plate, the keyless. You may want to use also some Moebius 9415 on the pallet fork stones, some Moebius 8200 for the mainspring and some breaking grease Moebius 8217 on the barrel walls. Basically you can use the ETA manual for any day date movement as reference point for lubrification, it will be fine.

Cheers, GenTLe

Not Quite Dead

What a nice post, I do like this forum

ShovelnTC

This one? http://www.ranfft.de...0&2uswk&AS_2083

Use the "separate boxes and pictures" method: unassemble it by functional parts (take as reference the ETA charts), like the main wheel train and its bridge and screws in a little plastic box; the balance, balance bridge, antishock jewels and its screws in another; the autowind bridge and all its parts in another etc.

While disassembly take a LOT of pictures with your phone or such, to use them later as a reference if you get lost at some point.

About the oils: 9010 for the antishock jewels, the escapement wheel and 4th wheel pinions jewels (and second hand wheel if the second hand is not on the 4th wheel, like on the Miyota 8215), HP1300 for the 2nd (centre) wheel and 3rd wheel jewels, as like as for all the other jewels, the posts of the hour train wheels on the upper part of the main plate, the keyless. You may want to use also some Moebius 9415 on the pallet fork stones, some Moebius 8200 for the mainspring and some breaking grease Moebius 8217 on the barrel walls. Basically you can use the ETA manual for any day date movement as reference point for lubrification, it will be fine.

Cheers, GenTLe

Wow that's great advise and help mate, I'd almost given up on having a go but you've inspired me now.

I'll get some bits and the oild ordered and see how I go.

Cheers mate. :)

What a nice post, I do like this forum

Yes the quality of guys in here who are prepared to contribute are fantastic.

GenTLe

Welcome. If you don't have good tweezers, look in the "Ali express mess" area, there is a post I did time ago with a great offer for a complete set. :)

JSJ

Great posts GenTLe.

If I may add that picking the tiny things up with tweezers needs some practice. Screws disappear at supersonic speeds to all corners of the room.

Good luck with it.

ShovelnTC

Welcome. If you don't have good tweezers, look in the "Ali express mess" area, there is a post I did time ago with a great offer for a complete set. :)

Great posts GenTLe.

If I may add that picking the tiny things up with tweezers needs some practice. Screws disappear at supersonic speeds to all corners of the room.

Good luck with it.

Thanks Guys,

I have one of the RWG/Offshore kits from way back which has decent enough tweezers and have already learned the evaporating/flying parts lesson some time ago.

I've worked out that if I cover my entire room with white adhesive paper and fit movent and weight sensors all over I won't ever lose anything again, but it may be hard to walk around. :giggle:

GenTLe

:rofl: For the anti-loss way :D

tonyh7

I'm a tinkerer. I have two pieces of advice. When you start you will break a watch. Live with it and move on. Secondly buy a big lump of Rodico. How were watches made before Rodico was invented?