Sign in to follow this  
Stormcrow

Final descision between DJII and Explorer I

Stormcrow

I have almost made my descision. I have spent all weekend (literally!) browsing watching and asking for opinions of RWG users.

Below are my two options. I would like the watch that is closest to gen and best value for money. I am 50/50 between the two so would love some to see other users personal prefrences.

Questions:

1) Does the Explorer have a lot more prestige than the DJII? Is it worth the $40 more?

2) The DJII has Asian Clone 2836-2 MVT and the Explorer has Asian Clone ETA 2836 Automatic 25j 28800bph MVT. Is there a difference? If so, which is better?

Option 1: Rolex Datejust Stick Mark Black Dial Upgraded 41mm - Asian Clone 2836-2: $158

REP: 5yvh1.jpg GEN: 7IfCX.png

Option 2: Asian Clone ETA 2836 Automatic 25j 28800bph 39mm: $198

REP: FkJhH.jpg GEN: QKjSi.png

Edited by Stormcrow

Del

Tbh, they're both great so it's personal preference. I'd go for the Datejust :lmao2:.

GC

DJ all day long!

The explorer is a bit too bland for my taste

nunu78
DJ all day long!

+1

nunu78
DJ all day long!

He GC,how u doin mate,have u upgraded to V2 ploprof?

wizawuza
DJ all day long!

haha the DJ is too "bright" for mine..

I feel like you can only wear a watch with that flute bezel (or whatever it's called) on certain occasions.. so if you really want that type of watch, get the DJ.. if you wanted something you can wear with more stuff, get the explorer..

I almost feel like I need to be at a black tie event to wear that particular datejust

Fiddo

I would go with the DJII

Those moevements are pretty much the same. One has a datewheel(DJII) the other one does not.

mspangl

DJII !

Member X

If your concern is accuracy, get the DJII. The Explorer dial is gloss finish whereas it should be really matte, and the lume isn't great (or the right colour, I believe... lol) The rehaut engraving is also a bit big font-wise, and not as well aligned as the DJII (but still pretty damn good).

If your concern is 'wearability', get the Explorer. The DJII is kind of a dress watch as it's quite flash (but quite discreet in the black dial), but the Explorer can be dressed up for a Black Tie evening, dressed down for kicking about, smart casual for an evening at the pub, or discreet and understated for weddings and funerals.

Check Robert's listing (PrestigeWatchCo) for the Explorer. He's cheaper than the rest, I believe, and you can get it serviced before it's sent for about $35.

Stormcrow
If your concern is accuracy, get the DJII. The Explorer dial is gloss finish whereas it should be really matte, and the lume isn't great (or the right colour, I believe... lol) The rehaut engraving is also a bit big font-wise, and not as well aligned as the DJII (but still pretty damn good).

If your concern is 'wearability', get the Explorer. The DJII is kind of a dress watch as it's quite flash (but quite discreet in the black dial), but the Explorer can be dressed up for a Black Tie evening, dressed down for kicking about, smart casual for an evening at the pub, or discreet and understated for weddings and funerals.

Check Robert's listing (PrestigeWatchCo) for the Explorer. He's cheaper than the rest, I believe, and you can get it serviced before it's sent for about $35.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I'm going to go with the DJII.

X - Reading your review of the Explorer has made me want that too!

p.s. Do you know anyone who is happy to service reps in the UK?

Member X

My Explorer has been a pain in the arse (PITA) as the rotor was loose, a screw was floating around, and when I got it serviced the poor guy couldn't get it to regulate so ended up having to get a new movement, and then the postmen appear to have played football with it on its way back, so now a dial marker is slightly out of place :rolleyes:

I do still love it though, It's possibly the only Rolex I'd buy the gen of because it's so versatile and is discreet and understated yet classy and noticed by those who look for these things. It's also not the 'my first rolex' black Sub lol :thumbsup2:

I'll look forward to seeing the pics of the DJII, I've not seen many posted so it will be good to get some more pics :notworthy:

re: servicing, unless you can find a watchsmith locally who is willing to service a 'watch with sentimental value that was a gift but you think it has an ETA movement' ;) you may have to send it overseas. The only guy in the UK on the boards is on here but unable to do much at the moment due to work. There's a couple of people in the EU, though - Domi or Bricciola are good, and I think Torobravo sevices too?? ;)

Stormcrow

Order placed! (08/03/11)!

I do hope I don't have long to wait before I can get the camera out and take some pictures!

Thanks all for advice!

MikeyMouseWatch

My first Rolex I got as a gift (Fake) was a Date Just. And every day that goes by, I feel it is uglier and uglier to other models.

Tristan123
Order placed! (08/03/11)!

I do hope I don't have long to wait before I can get the camera out and take some pictures!

Thanks all for advice!

that is the worst part,, the wait..!!!!!!!

Member X
My first Rolex I got as a gift (Fake) was a Date Just. And every day that goes by, I feel it is uglier and uglier to other models.

Pics and comparisons? :)