NCRich

Want to mod that Cartel JKF factory vintage sub - the basics Complete tutorial

dizzy
On 23/06/2018 at 16:49, J!m said:

Nice tutorial. 

The aftermarket bezels leave a lot to be desired. Even the “expensive “ ones. 

The insert should snap into a significant groove in the bezel ring. And once in, the bezel edge should be “proud” of the insert. 

99% of the ones I see, the insert is flush with the bezel ring. These have to be glued, especially if you have a gen insert you don’t want to loose. One of my first reps was a 5517 long before I joined any forum. I lost a couple WO990 inserts and they are not free...

i use a big press for crystal retainer rings (those should be seriously tight) and my old crystal press I only use for popping out inserts from gen bezels. ITT gets them out (and in) without damage. That press would break with a gen watch trying to press a retainer ring on. 

I actually have a small bench vice that I use with my press dies to press retainer rings on Gen submariners. They are def not easy to get on. My little cheap blue one hand press won’t do it. 

Oris

Phenomenal thread, @NCRich :bugeyes:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this - top notch. 

Mbari

Have you modded a JKF 6538 yet? If so, what's the dial size? Thinking about getting a Viet dial for the 6538, wanna make sure it fits. I don't have a lathe so.... Might be tricky to trim. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

NCRich
9 minutes ago, Mbari said:

Have you modded a JKF 6538 yet? If so, what's the dial size? Thinking about getting a Viet dial for the 6538, wanna make sure it fits. I don't have a lathe so.... Might be tricky to trim. Thanks in advance.

I don't believe that JKF has a 6538.  I am frequently wrong though.  The only ones I am aware of are from Helenarou and ones called 1950's models that use the same case you can buy from Silix.

• Like 1

J!m

And, if you are man enough, the dial can be mounted in a Dremel and spun while lightly pressing the edge on a Swiss pattern file to reduce diameter.

Note it is VERY EASY to completely destroy the dial, as well as take an eye out. But, since you have another eye, I say go for it!

• Like 1

Mbari
And, if you are man enough, the dial can be mounted in a Dremel and spun while lightly pressing the edge on a Swiss pattern file to reduce diameter.
Note it is VERY EASY to completely destroy the dial, as well as take an eye out. But, since you have another eye, I say go for it!
Haha agreed. Did destroy a dial yesterday. Doing as such for another project. In this case I have the opposite problem. Dial is 27mm and cases have a 29mm opening, leaving a gap.

Mbari
I don't believe that JKF has a 6538.  I am frequently wrong though.  The only ones I am aware of are from Helenarou and ones called 1950's models that use the same case you can buy from Silix.
You're correct jkf doesn't have one upon further digging. With marvellous on WhatsApp now and he's showing me 6538s from other factories. Guess I need a 38mm case anyway for three gen spec dials. Aka Phong or buy cartel 6542s and gut them out. Either way more money than 200 bucks for 2 dials. On the plus side, buying 2 6542s will leave me with some additional parts.

J!m

Dial a bit too small can sometimes be worked around with an 0-ring in the dial recess, if there is enough dial recess...

mattyd

Phenomenal thread! But I promise you, most guys on this site would as soon eat that watch with barbecue sauce rather than give it a go...

Rower

I'm so glad this post was revived. I missed it when it was originally  posted.

#NCRich I wish I had your talents. Unfortunately I was born with zero mechanical talent.

tamomota

Impressive and knowledgeable tutorial. Thanks. 

anj4de

Absolutely great! This is exactly the type of watch I want.m The tutorial will help a lot once I have parts together.

thanks a million

Uwe

JimN1564

Thanks this has been very helpful!   So quick question,  How do you get the crown to seal?   

NCRich
34 minutes ago, JimN1564 said:

Thanks this has been very helpful!   So quick question,  How do you get the crown to seal?   

If you remove the tube then you use blue locktite when replacing.  Then use silicon grease on the rubber seals on the crown and tube.  Also caseback gasket.

JimN1564

First attempt ... lost a clamp and stem hold down button stuck down.

sooooo there is that,  lol 

NCRich
18 hours ago, JimN1564 said:

First attempt ... lost a clamp and stem hold down button stuck down.

sooooo there is that,  lol 

You have not lost it, you haven't crawled around on the floor long enough.  No one here can say that hasn't happened to them.

tirillo.mau

Anybody knows where can I buy a case for my 26mm dial JKF sub? I need a new one but I dont know where can I find it... Help!

AlexFelix
On 01/04/2022 at 11:50, tirillo.mau said:

Anybody knows where can I buy a case for my 26mm dial JKF sub? I need a new one but I dont know where can I find it... Help!

RaffleDials

texaswatchguy

You make it look so easy!

wozurd

thankyou, extremely useful! I always age my stuff without dissassembly, never a good idea but i didnt know how to properly take it apart lol