Sign in to follow this  
ShovelnTC

Well I finaly managed to fuck up a keyless.

ShovelnTC

So after having had a few watches apart for basic work (hand changes) I have managed to fuck up the keyless.

I always felt good that I hadn't done what appears to be a common fuckup for nooby tinkerers.

Anyway of course it was my BK V1 sub that I have done it to after a successful hand change and got everything to clear nicely and put the movement back into the case when re-fitting the stem it didn't want to lock in so I guess I applied a touch too much pressure to the release button and hey presto the button seems to have disapeared and the stem won't lock in.

I'm going to have a sook now and say that I probably won't try to repair this thing as I have enough trouble with the simple jobs let alone having to again pull the handset (my hand remover broke during the job) and remove the dial and all of the other key-less parts so I'll likely list it for sale for repair.

It's times like these I wish I hadn't given up the grog.

Oh well I'm going to sit in the corner now and cry like the stupid bitch that I am. :cry:

NCRich

Stupid bitch. :lol:

There is a method of repairing ETAs where you go through the back. There are videos. I'd try that first.

Its already broke, as long as you don't lose anything it is still "for sale by repair" if you can't fix it.

BadPickle

Welcome to the gang mate, it's frustrating but get some half decent tools and it's a fairly simple fix. There tutorials all over the forums, it just takes patience :D

ShovelnTC

Thanks for the response guys.

I think I'm going to list it FS as is as due to my fucked up back, carpel tunnel, tennis elbow and failing eyesight I have come to the conclusion that watch tinkering just isn't practical for me not to mention a complete lack of patience. :giggle:

MetalMickey

...I think I'm going to list it FS as is as due to my fucked up back, carpel tunnel, tennis elbow and failing eyesight I have come to the conclusion that watch tinkering just isn't practical for me not to mention a complete lack of patience. :giggle:

I've seen tinkerers with worse issues than that set up shop in the forums ;)

Good luck with it, whatever you choose.

GenTLe

Quite simple mate: Remove again the hands, remove the dial, remove the DW unscrewing the little plate that keeps it in place and its spring, remove (1 screw) the plate that keeps the hour wheel (where you install the hour hand) in place, and there you have the keyless.

Inviato da mTalk

BadPickle
Thanks for the response guys.

I think I'm going to list it FS as is as due to my fucked up back, carpel tunnel, tennis elbow and failing eyesight I have come to the conclusion that watch tinkering just isn't practical for me not to mention a complete lack of patience. :giggle:

Seems a tad extreme, find yourself a local fixer who is prepared to work on it.

Good luck :)

splke

send it to someone before its too late

I speak from ham-fisted experience :)

ShovelnTC

Perhaps I should have used a smaller screwdriver for the stem release button :unsure:

IMG_3799.jpg

ShovelnTC

Extra disappointing being as it looks so nice with the new hand set. :(

IMG_3795.jpg

RUSH2112

The only time I'm happy about my failing eyesight is when threads like this pop up. I need glasses to set the date, no way I could work on a movement.

ShovelnTC

The only time I'm happy about my failing eyesight is when threads like this pop up. I need glasses to set the date, no way I could work on a movement.

Mate I need glasses to read the time so how stupid could I be to think I can do this stuff :giggle:

Moondustesp

Oh mate that a shitter. You gotta try and fix it dont let it beat you :)

ShovelnTC

Well thanks to all of the guys that encouraged me to try to get this done myself and a special thanks to those that PM'd me, at first I took this advise on board and had another go this afternoon but after getting to the point of removing the datewheel the sheer tinyness of the components as well as the amount of magnification required just overwhelmed me and I know that I would end up with a destroyed movement if I went any further.

I've spent a lifetime tinkering with mechanical stuff but these things are just too small for me to handle, I was always wanting to grab a hold of things and having to use tiny tools for every move just frustrated me to the point of fury so it was going to end up with a smashed movement for sure.

I don't have any local watchmakers that I could call upon and to ne honest that would defeat the whole reason for me being into the hobby so better I move this on to someone who has the skills or at least is more interested than me to learn.

Thanks again to all who assisted but I have now realized that it's best for me to stick to the more basic tinkering and leave the finer stuff to those with steadier hands, better eyesight and at least some patience.

Watch now listed FS.

Cheers, Mark.

g3ngs

Very, very sound advice.

I also managed to upset the keyless on my Pelagos, which above all other including gen anything is the one I like the most. I was about to embark on some ham fistedness and read this.

(Don't get me wrong... history has shown that it always starts out in my head that I have the hands, precision and skill of a surgeon..... it just ends up like I'm trying to wipe my arse with boxing gloves on.... messy)

Any one able to recommend someone in the UK with form for being able to do the surgeon version of the repair?

ShovelnTC

Very, very sound advice.

I also managed to upset the keyless on my Pelagos, which above all other including gen anything is the one I like the most. I was about to embark on some ham fistedness and read this.

(Don't get me wrong... history has shown that it always starts out in my head that I have the hands, precision and skill of a surgeon..... it just ends up like I'm trying to wipe my arse with boxing gloves on.... messy)

Any one able to recommend someone in the UK with form for being able to do the surgeon version of the repair?

Check the TD list, there is at least one UK listed with sound feedback.