Sign in to follow this  
dv8

What makes a leather strap great

dv8

To my untrained eye, most leather straps look the same.

I have read many here mention that standard straps that come with the reps are poor quality.

What makes a good leather strap like Fournet better than the standard strap?

Are they just different in their feel on the wrist or even visually very different?

Thanks

dalboy

Good quality leather and Age ...

A skilled Artisan is also essential to the mix .

Dal.

dv8

Dal.

What are the visual differences in a cheap leather strap and an expensive one? For instance, is the cheap one shinier or lacking texture?

Kleen™

Charlize Theron at the end of the strap...;)

TheSav

First and foremost the quality of the leather used and how it has been treated. The finishing on the edges, the stitching and the quality of the lining on the underside. The thickness and suppleness. Lastly, how it stand up to extended wear over time....... and of course, Charlize Theron!!

elp

Dal.

What are the visual differences in a cheap leather strap and an expensive one? For instance, is the cheap one shinier or lacking texture?

Visually difficult to differentiate IMO, touch and feel (and sometimes smell) are more relevant. By the way I am not talking about cost, but quality which is of course subjective. Have a look at Nero Straps' subforum for some really nice straps for example, top notch quality. Some of the rep leather straps are nothing more than cardboard in disguise.

+1

dalboy

Dal.

Depends upon how the leather is worked , dye used if any , several other factors ..

Hell yeah ..

MDK

From my prospective, the leather quality makes a huge difference, also the construction and other materials used.

A lot of straps seem to be padded out with Cardboard, Foam etc. a high quality piece will be all leather; Outer Shell, Padding and Liner.

The threads used and type of stitching will also make a difference, most straps you will buy are machine stitched using two thin threads; handmade will always likely be constructed with a Saddle Stitch using high quality thread, Saddle stitch is one continuous piece of thread binding the strap together, it also gives you a unique finish.

I recently bought a Hirsch Leonardo expecting a nice strap; I was horrified by the quality, the leather was no better than the cheap rep straps hard plastic feel and no character.

Needless to say i have since torn it apart and i am rebuilding it.

The only advice i would say is stick to the TD's on here you will be guaranteed a nice handmade product and likely a lot cheaper than Hirsch etc.

Mr_B
From my prospective, the leather quality makes a huge difference, also the construction and other materials used.

A lot of straps seem to be padded out with Cardboard, Foam etc. a high quality piece will be all leather; Outer Shell, Padding and Liner.

The threads used and type of stitching will also make a difference, most straps you will buy are machine stitched using two thin threads; handmade will always likely be constructed with a Saddle Stitch using high quality thread, Saddle stitch is one continuous piece of thread binding the strap together, it also gives you a unique finish.

I recently bought a Hirsch Leonardo expecting a nice strap; I was horrified by the quality, the leather was no better than the cheap rep straps hard plastic feel and no character.

Needless to say i have since torn it apart and i am rebuilding it.

The only advice i would say is stick to the TD's on here you will be guaranteed a nice handmade product and likely a lot cheaper than Hirsch etc.

This

dv8

Thanks for the replies.

I like changing my straps often and since its visually not too dissimilar to the expensive ones, I think I will stick to the rep ones for now.

MDK

Thanks for the replies.

I like changing my straps often and since its visually not too dissimilar to the expensive ones, I think I will stick to the rep ones for now.

Honestly, it makes no sense. You can buy a handmade strap on here for the same money or maybe a little bit more than a rep strap from a TD, look around the M2M or contact the TD's

GenTLe

Thanks for the replies.

Honestly, it makes no sense. You can buy a handmade strap on here for the same money or maybe a little bit more than a rep strap from a TD, look around the M2M or contact the TD's

Agree.

And even for the croc ones there are good options, for example here:

http://stores.ebay.it/vnhandcraftart

and here:

http://stores.ebay.it/Sobek-Alligator

edwinowl

I have made a few straps, not too many. The strap artisans as del says will be along but there is much to consider

Choice of leather, shape, length, stitch, wax, finish and the individual touch that each maker brings

If you have a favourite maker you will understand.

An old hand on here (grb) when I first started taught me that some of the reps are nice but with the right strap you are on another level.

Take time and consider, straps can be the difference.

RandomGuy

"I like changing my straps often and since its visually not too dissimilar to the expensive ones, I think I will stick to the rep ones for now."

Whaaat?!?

You need to compare your standard rep straps with others out there my friend. The ones that come with the reps are typically of such poor quality that it is THE most obvious "tell" that the watch on your wrist is a rep. I've had a Lange and an IWC 5001 in my watch box for a year because the rep straps are so henious anyone who saw them would call me out. I'm convinced they're vinyl with a shallow stamped crock texture. Trash!

If you buy quartz reps of gen watches that are 28800, then by all means, keep the rep leather strap.

That combo is a stellar match.

But if you buy a quality rep, then its stock "leather" strap has gotta go

I agree with the other comments: quality leather, age, thickness, lining, stitching - artisan quality is noticeable.

I'd add that some models also look better with custom quality straps that remove/lessen "strap gap."

Look at these, and tell me they are not too dissimilar from your rep "leather" strap. If you agree they differ, let MDK help you out.

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=117917

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=123181

Retina

I have too many straps for my own good. NATO, exotic, leather you name it. It allows me to suit the watch for that day. Far easier and cheaper than buying a new watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aliveandwell

I agree... The quality of the leather and the stitches

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

JSJ

So many variables.

I like soft leather but my Nero fake ammo is one of my favourites. Only after lots of wearing is it becoming soft. It started as stiff but has become supple and sumptuous.

I have some gen IWC straps and they are very well made but not the softest. Not worth the €250 to €450.

A few rep straps are good, mostly they crack easily and become useless if worn for long.

There are plenty of good strap suppliers including our TDs (strap TDs, not to be confused with watch TDs who supply standards rep straps which I would not normally buy).

Non-TDs I have used include Wherealien who made me a superb elephant hide for my 508.

Like everything, it's a matter of what you like and what you are prepared to pay to satisfy your cravings...

splke

You will find one of the best I have had a strap from is on this thread. Mdk makes really good quality gear at a very reasonable price

dv8

Thanks for the info. Thats what i wanted to know.

So there is a visual difference between the cheaper leather straps and the more expensive ones!

I have never had anything but a rep strap strap before so couldn't tell from the pics on the internet.

I personally don't care much about the hardness and feel on the wrist but at the same time dont want it to shout out cheap.

deju

Everything you say is almost in conflict of your previous sentence.

I tell you what with out a shadow of a doubt that your reps straps call out cheap. Hell screw the visual difference, they will smell cheap.

I'd never wear a rep watch on a rep leather strap.

The strap makes the watch.

This whole topic is the equivalent of telling us you've just built a Ferrari replica but you're going to use the cheap car wheels because they are round like Ferrari ones and you won't buy Pirelli tyres because you like to change your wheels a lot.

Good luck in your quest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dv8

Everything you say is almost in conflict of your previous sentence.

I tell you what with out a shadow of a doubt that your reps straps call out cheap. Hell screw the visual difference, they will smell cheap.

I'd never wear a rep watch on a rep leather strap.

The strap makes the watch.

This whole topic is the equivalent of telling us you've just built a Ferrari replica but you're going to use the cheap car wheels because they are round like Ferrari ones and you won't buy Pirelli tyres because you like to change your wheels a lot.

Good luck in your quest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ummm.... Having a bad day? Nothing I said contradicts.

First I asked if there was any visual difference. Some seem to think there was'nt much of a visual difference. To which I concluded that may be rep straps are ok for now.

Then some said there is a remarkable difference which i acknowledged.

Ferrari? I am talking about reps here not genuine Patek!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

mysterio

He was talking about reps (well a Ferrari replica anyway) although the analogy was slightly flawed. It's like buying cheap tires because they look like the genuine tires (not merely round, that's too broad a characteristic) instead of buying the nice Pirelli tires.

However, even if the strap looks very similar to the nice aftermarket/OEM straps, the feel of the strap on your wrist will be different. Rep straps have the reputation for being stiff like cardboard. Not to mention some of them may wear out soon and split. But you get what you pay for I guess.

dv8

He was talking about reps (well a Ferrari replica anyway) although the analogy was slightly flawed. It's like buying cheap tires because they look like the genuine tires (not merely round, that's too broad a characteristic) instead of buying the nice Pirelli tires.

However, even if the strap looks very similar to the nice aftermarket/OEM straps, the feel of the strap on your wrist will be different. Rep straps have the reputation for being stiff like cardboard. Not to mention some of them may wear out soon and split. But you get what you pay for I guess.

I get it now that there is a big difference in feel and sometimes look too. Just wanted to know since I have never owned one. :)