Sign in to follow this  
RepGuy

[HELP NEEDED] Broken Seconds Hand

RepGuy

Hey all, I've got a bit of a problem on my hands with a new purchase from a TD. I have used the watch once in the past few days, and wanted to wear it today. Upon trying to wind then watch and set the date, the seconds band went dead. You can shake the watch, and the seconds band will just flop around the dial. I have attached a video below.

Is this something that would require repair with the original dealer, or something I could try fixing myself? Any suggestions are appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6JkLgQ0WQK6WWlkTzZOOUFXVmc/view?usp=drivesdk

jdog

Looks like the minute hand came off the pinion. A simple fix for the most part. Assuming you can decase the movement and dial etc.

RepGuy

So most likely the minute hand needs reseated on the pinion holding the hands in place? I am asking because it looks like the seconds hand is catching. Would that be a symptom of this?

jdog

Hard to tell from the glare, but likely the hands just need to be reset on the pinion. If the seconds was hanging up on the minute, the minute hand would force it around as well.

RepGuy

I'll look into doing that. I might have to get the help of my local watchsmith, as I am unsure if I have the tools to reseat the minute hand... I don't want to mess up the dial

RepGuy

I just thought of something. Since this has a screw down bezel, could I just unscrew that and reset the minute hand without needing to get in the back?

GenTLe
I just thought of something. Since this has a screw down bezel, could I just unscrew that and reset the minute hand without needing to get in the back?

Yes and no: to remove the bezel you need to take away the case back and unscrew the 8 hidden nuts that keep the bezel screws in place.

RepGuy

I see, I was hoping it would be easier than that. I've got a decent set of watch tweezers I could use to adjust the hands. I'm not sure how to tell if they are seated properly, but I'm sure trial and error will get me to a solution eventually

EDIT: It looks like the hidden screws holding the bezel in place will require a special type of screwdriver based on a guide I found on RWG.cc

Any idea where to find this type? Home depot or Lowe's comes to mind, but I won't be able to check until tomorrow

6fcb4daf_zpsucws9uoj.jpg

jdog

If you do attempt it, just be very careful. The holes can warp and change size pretty easily if you're not careful.

fatarms

I see, I was hoping it would be easier than that. I've got a decent set of watch tweezers I could use to adjust the hands. I'm not sure how to tell if they are seated properly, but I'm sure trial and error will get me to a solution eventually

EDIT: It looks like the hidden screws holding the bezel in place will require a special type of screwdriver based on a guide I found on RWG.cc

Any idea where to find this type? Home depot or Lowe's comes to mind, but I won't be able to check until tomorrow

6fcb4daf_zpsucws9uoj.jpg

You can make one from a flathead screwdriver or if you have a tube that goes in the end of a strap, you can make one from that as well by filing off at an angle on both sides.

RepGuy

I might have to try that tonight. After looking at the guides, it seems easy enough to remove the bezel but I'm worried about adjusting the hand on the pinion. I'm not sure how to tell if it's adjusted correctly, and I definitely don't want to warp them.