Sign in to follow this  
wat44

secret signature

wat44

We are constantly bombarded by fake items: from leather bags, to clothing, to jewellery, to watches, “knockoff†versions are everywhere.

For some reason, most people seem to think this is a relatively recent occurrence due to the sheer volume of fake stock currently available, when in reality, counterfeiting is as old as humankind itself!

There is a small pocket of the consumer market that is fine with the phony version of larger brand products, but ultimately production of these goods harm the original manufacturers and those willing to pay for brand name and the quality that comes with it.

The problem with fake goods is that the quality of them is now almost as good as the quality of the originals, and in some cases, even authorised service centres are unable to distinguish between genuine and fakes!

To combat this, it is common practice in the watch industry that the manufacturer would use a “secret signature†to mark his product.

Here is an example of Cartier’s signature: a flower (rose?) symbol stamped on the middle case, just above 12 o’clock and underneath the bezel.

cartier1.jpg

This symbol is not there for the end user. It is well hidden and tucked away from the eyes of counterfeiters as well. It is there for the service centres as assurance that they are assessing and dealing with the genuine article.

cartier2.jpg

Of course the “secret signature†does change from time to time, which makes our own investigative more interesting!

Aren

Good to know.

This watch signature must change all the time to keep ahead of the reps.

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing! :lol:

Member X

I guess this practice makes sense really. And it doesn't really affect us as we're not idiots trying to get our reps serviced by ADs! :)

nunu78

+1 to Member X, believe me who needs the expert to get its watch serviced when we have in house magician like Brightlight.

Ska

Precisely X, but good post Wat very interesting. I'd be fascinated to see more from other brands.

These are the kind of posts I missed from you Wat! Keep them coming! :)

pinkyw

Hi

This was really interesting to read, does anybody know where or what the mark is on a Rolex and any more pics would be nice.

Thanks

Wiz

That's the first time I ever hear about something like that. Any other example?

amanuel777

Isn't the tiny "B" on Breitling's bezels serving the same purpose? It's barely visible for the naked eye.

MikeMcNair

and the laser etched crown at 6 on roll's?

wat44

they have to be SECRET!!!

so authorized repairers would know...

Drhulee

Hardly secret, or unique.

It is called a security measure, some etch crowns on their crystal, others "happy feet", just more security features added to hamper replica manufacturers. However, it doesn't take time for the rep factories to catch on and add them to our reps :D

Member X

Isn't the tiny "B" on Breitling's bezels serving the same purpose? It's barely visible for the naked eye.

I've not heard of this... Got any pics? :unsure:

Welcome to the forum btw :)

mad dawg

I got this same article emailed to me via Nick Hacko. Who is quoting who here?

Tristan

I've not heard of this... Got any pics? ;)

Welcome to the forum btw :yoda:

I have a gen Breitling that have the engraved "B" and I have a Super Avenger from Mary that has the "B" as well. So this doesn't tell you anything if you have the real thing or not. The "B" is at the 11 position. Unfortunately I have only a smart phone at hand. The pictures it produces are too bad to show you the engraving clearly. However here is a picture form the internet that gives you an idea what to look for.

bez.jpg

Tristan :thumbsup2:

amanuel777

I've not heard of this... Got any pics? :toilet:

Welcome to the forum btw :rofl:

Thank you! Here's a very poor picture of the "B" on my gen Chrono Evolution. But as somebody already pointed out, the reps have it as well, so...

img0724q.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Member X

I've never noticed that... I will have to check my SOHs later! :rofl: