Sign in to follow this  
MikeyMouseWatch

I need a cheap tool for....

MikeyMouseWatch

I ordered some tools in order to open the backs of some of my watches with the square etches in them.

However, I noticed this doesn't look like it will help me with my Rolex over here, since the back doesn't have any decent grooves, but just a round flat dial-plate with very minute etchings around outside.

Trying to do this by hand isn't going to work. And after research, I've seen a very cheap & dangerous way of doing this by using scissors, or the more expensive way using some sort of bench press and then doing a rotation, though I'd have to spend around 300$ for that kind of set-up.

I was looking for something a little more cheaper, but still safe to both my watch and my own person.

Thanks.

powderfreak

How about that:

sticky ball

amuthon

I use double faced adhesive tape for almost all casebacks, works in 90%.

Need something round in nearly same diameter to stick it on...

KBH

A Ball of duct tape will open most Rolex reps. Obviously sticky side out.

I don't know where you're at but if that doesn't work you can get cheap case back openers from Harbor Freight stores in the US for $5 or on eBay.

http://www.harborfreight.com/watch-case-opener-91550.html

pollux1

I recall reading that most watchmakers regard the Rolex caseback as the best, all those grooves when meshed with the correct tool never left a scratch.

Del

The good old "sticky" plastic ball has worked for me every time so far :lol:.

KBH
I recall reading that most watchmakers regard the Rolex caseback as the best, all those grooves when meshed with the correct tool never left a scratch.

The only problem with them is the cost, also that Rolex has several different size case backs so you really need a set.

MikeyMouseWatch

@ Ska, that Rollex set I haven't seen before. I may pick up that box, though some of the seller's feed-back isn't too positive. Though much of that appears to have been from watches he sold.

@ KBH, I think I've seen that tool used before, though it is quite strange to image how three cylinders can open a back by sliding around a very thin cylinder with very minute etches on it.

AllergyDoc

I was going to suggest you PM Baldrick as he is a cheap tool, but I see I misread the title of your thread. :thumbsup2:

Ska
@ Ska, that Rollex set I haven't seen before. I may pick up that box, though some of the seller's feed-back isn't too positive. Though much of that appears to have been from watches he sold.

@ KBH, I think I've seen that tool used before, though it is quite strange to image how three cylinders can open a back by sliding around a very thin cylinder with very minute etches on it.

There are hundreds of those sets on Ebay mate, I just searched for the cheapest one for the purposes of the link. Just choose a seller you like the look of and you're away. They come with a number of dies to fit all 6 standard Rolex case-backs.

Thats's the style of tool that Rolex use themselves.

tesmith2112

Just take the bracelet off and use duct tape. Take a 3-4 inch piece of duct tape and wad it into a ball, then press and turn on the case back. It will take a few tries, but it will work.

offshore

Or maybe this from the RWG shop.

https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index...mp;productId=42

You do need to use this in conjunction with a case clamp, but there is no better or more positive tool with Rolex "teeth"

If you want the best this is what you need.

https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index...mp;productId=43

Beware that there are a lot of these made with faulty "teeth"/flutes, which don't bind with Rolex case backs. This one does!

O/S

trailboss99

Like OS says, a lot of the cheap sets on da bay do not mesh correctly with the case back resulting in slippage and an ugly scar.

Tape and sticky balls may open a case back (assuming it was not correctly tight in the first place) but you will never get one done up properly using these tricks. If you want any chance of your watch being water tight you need to use the correct tools!

Col

KBH

Maybe this will help you visualize. Of course, when removing the case back you would actually take off the bracelet first.

DSCN4684.jpg

DSCN4685.jpg

DSCN4686.jpg

The pictures aren't great but you should be able to see how it works. Also the set comes with several different sets of teeth for different case backs.

Aren
The only problem with them is the cost, also that Rolex has several different size case backs so you really need a set.

KB are you suggesting he needs a set of balls?

I was going to suggest you PM Baldrick as he is a cheap tool, but I see I misread the title of your thread. :)

Baldrick is MIA, and I would say he is many things, but cheap is not among them.

:unsure:

This may be a bit off-topic but can sticky balls open PAM casebacks? And if so,

as KB says...Do I need a set?

I only have the $8 tool kit from Ebay.