Sign in to follow this  
GMTmasterypastery

Please Check it Out Before I Buy

anfalas

Air King is spot on. Besides no one knows what it is.

Yeah I'd have picked out the Air King from those Rich, does look good :)

I buy 95% of my stuff from Marvellous Replica. But every once in a while I'll roll the dice with Ali/DhGate. Best of the lot were the Air King, the Tudor BB, and the fifty fathoms. Worse comes to worse you can always sell them for what you paid. Fifty fathoms was DOA but I just replaced the movement.

Fifty fathoms are worth a punt just because they're rare as hens teeth to get a decent rep and yeah I noticed their BB's looked half decent. I'm a Toro man but agree DHgate definitely have their place for a bit of trial and error, if they go in the bin no harm done :)

GMTmasterypastery

It's ok if you can do that^. So these things are repairable by a competent watchmaker? They can just drop a replacement similar inexpensive movt in and reuse the dial+hands datewheel ? How's the lume? On these cheapies I mean :]

Edited by GMTmasterypastery

anfalas

It's ok if you can do that^. So these things are repairable by a competent watchmaker? They can just drop a replacement similar inexpensive movt in and reuse the dial+hands datewheel ?

If you want to pay a watchmaker to repair a $75 rep go for it (if you can find one) but for me the only 2 options are DIY or bin it.

GMTmasterypastery

I'd love to be able to DIY. Just wondering if I can order a seagull movt (or whatever?) for a £10 online and have the watchmaker I use mend one should I get a 'doa' :]

anfalas
I'd love to be able to DIY. Just wondering if I can order a seagull movt (or whatever?) for a £10 online and have the watchmaker I use mend one should I get a 'doa' :]

Chances of a DOA are pretty slim tbh. 2813 low beat movements are generally very reliable.

NCRich

Chances of a DOA are pretty slim tbh. 2813 low beat movements are generally very reliable.

Yeah, that is the 2nd dead movement in probably 40 watches. Those watches I bought really didn't cost any more than I'd pay for a 2813 movement shipped. (that's why I had extras laying around)

GMTmasterypastery

That's reassuring. How's the lume on em?? I'm liking that EXPI, new version with 369 surround lume. :D Hollow endlinks are the only thing but who cares.

NCRich

Lume is poor. Generally on most reps the lume is an afterthought.

GMTmasterypastery

I'm learning. Thanks. It's getting late here. I'm gonna get organised for tomorrow. Nice chatting to you guys, I'll be back. :wave: Enjoy your evenings.

GMTmasterypastery

Air King is spot on. Besides no one knows what it is.

Yeah I'd have picked out the Air King from those Rich, does look good :)

I buy 95% of my stuff from Marvellous Replica. But every once in a while I'll roll the dice with Ali/DhGate. Best of the lot were the Air King, the Tudor BB, and the fifty fathoms. Worse comes to worse you can always sell them for what you paid. Fifty fathoms was DOA but I just replaced the movement.

Fifty fathoms are worth a punt just because they're rare as hens teeth to get a decent rep and yeah I noticed their BB's looked half decent. I'm a Toro man but agree DHgate definitely have their place for a bit of trial and error, if they go in the bin no harm done :)

I have to say the Black Bay is very tempting! I know someone who bought one bnib from an AD who it would piss off no end that I got one 95% similar for a tiny fraction of what he paid. All I can see is some subtle clasp differences (probably no ceramic bearings?) and the hour hand is less snowflakey. Lume doesn't have the fake patina, which I hate anyway! Pretend vintage pah.

Ok, if you don't mind chaps some more questions.

Is there any water resistance with these? I see a gasket on the BB user review pic where they removed the caseback.

Crystal material, is it actually sapphire crystal? It would surprise me at this pricepoint, but it would be cool.

Accuracy, I'm not expecting COSC superlative chronometer grade but is it ok?

How do they hold up to abuse, can you expect them to keep going after rough activity?

Sorry to bore you guys with questions about cheapies but I don't really have access to anything better yet, nor the confidence to throw 100s into the unknown. Thanks.

James.

You should post a pic of this awesome gen collection you have.

SS beater. Why don't you just buy a gen sub? That's what they're made for. Trash the thing, a $100 polish later, good as new

GMTmasterypastery

How do I post a pic? I've checked everywhere for an upload button. I have a 16710 and trashing that would be sacrilege the prices minty ones go for.

greg_r

How do I post a pic? I've checked everywhere for an upload button. I have a 16710 and trashing that would be sacrilege the prices minty ones go for.

You'll need to host the pic somewhere. You'll find instructions for Flickr & Photobucket pinned at the top of the New Members section - other photo hosts work in a similar way.

GMTmasterypastery

Okydoky. I'll have some eyecandy up in a min. I understand ;)

bear with me,flik r's asking me some bs I'm not a botQs

What the hell does 'select all squares with street signs' bloody mean? It's showing me one pic with a sign in it but wtf to do?

the_frenchman

Sorry buddy , but i was expecting other kind of advicing here.....

Your post: Please Check it Out Before I Buy

Do you really need some advice for 65£.....?

Come on.

Spend the money and let us know if it was worth it :lol:

GMTmasterypastery

I was hoping to get some advice/learn about reps in general. Totally new to it plus can't abide Patek AP prices,delicacy servicing cost /intervals. Plus to communicate with other UK members. But I'll let you know where my journey takes me. Oh, I'm also an Archieluxury fan of several years. :D

dalboy

Archie luxury fan.

He will be happy to learn he had at least one fan here !!

Dal.

GMTmasterypastery

His older stuff had me giggling more. I worry about his mental wellbeing lately.

dalboy

Mental ....

Nail and head Ole son !!

Dal.

RUSH2112
I was hoping to get some advice/learn about reps in general. Totally new to it plus can't abide Patek AP prices,delicacy servicing cost /intervals. Plus to communicate with other UK members. But I'll let you know where my journey takes me. Oh, I'm also an Archieluxury fan of several years. :D

Take the time to read the threads on the forum and slow down a bit. All the info you need is here already.

GMTmasterypastery

Couple of pics in my intro post. Between this post and that I've made it pretty clear what I'm really after, and I'll pay good money for one if it's exactly what I want and I trust the seller to guide me through the transaction process (preferably in the uk). Except for once I have never bought anything online let alone from an actual person unknown to me. On the rare occasion I absolutely have to a friend does it for me. The one time I did it was through a damn duplicate website, I was scammed and I lost a sum worth it for the lesson.

GMTmasterypastery

Take the time to read the threads on the forum and slow down a bit. All the info you need is here already.

Cheers. I've been at it an hour or two. No rush. ;)

Thelittleprince

I had this one way back when i was first learning about reps! Its a very decent cheapie! Get it and you will like it for lets say..... a month then decide you want to take your rep game to the next level and sell it to another noob with the same question down the road :)

Cheers

Oh and if you check the reviews on your link! You will see pictures

Left Coast Guy

Couple of pics in my intro post. Between this post and that I've made it pretty clear what I'm really after, and I'll pay good money for one if it's exactly what I want and I trust the seller to guide me through the transaction process (preferably in the uk). Except for once I have never bought anything online let alone from an actual person unknown to me. On the rare occasion I absolutely have to a friend does it for me. The one time I did it was through a damn duplicate website, I was scammed and I lost a sum worth it for the lesson.

Whoa whoa whoa.....back the truck up --- you're fucking 30 years old and you've never bought anything online before??????? WTF?????