Sign in to follow this  
Lizard 1

Want to fix my hands on PAM MiniFiddy...

Lizard 1

'i think you'll need a thinner dial or different 6497' - like I said, the hands falling off is a bit of a red flag!

I think you may be right on this. When you look at the original sales thread, you see that the post (Not sure technical term) is not even flush with the top of the hand. I don't think it will work once a washer is placed on there.

But, in looking at the side of the movement, you see a lot of what appears to be lume material. The dial is thin, but a strong gap between the dial and the top surface of the movement.

If that makes sense? Not sure I am describing things well...

Lizard 1

who built it? i see that the previous owner says he got it in m2m deal also.

plus the movement tabs may not fit, these 6498's are designed for pocket watches without moment tabs, theres not enough room to get the tab in without filing part of the bridge away.

I've asked a few times now. I should have asked for a link, but he stated that it was never published as a sale. I understood that as all but this one I have bought were M2M deals outside the forums. I have sent the guy PMs off RWI to no avail. Figures...

His username here is shown in the sales ad, but when I looked him up under members, it isn't there...

elp

Kudos for diving straight in. Many of us have done the same, and have a drawer full of spares to prove it :lol:

BadPickle

any developments here Lizard1??

would be nice to know who mashed/bodged/cobbled this monstrosity together, just so we know who to avoid in the future.

Lizard 1

would be nice to know who mashed/bodged/cobbled this monstrosity together, just so we know who to avoid in the future.

I am working with an Admin over at RWI first. He is asking for the seller to respond and he seems to have dropped off the planet. Amazing...

That being said, I will post in short time. So far, his username as you saw in the selling post I bought it from shows an RWI username that doesn't exist.

I am also working with a watch builder from the RWI forum as he said he would work on the movement and make it more whole as opposed to being a mish mash of movement parts. He also would help if the cannon needed done to accept the hands, etc.

I also tried to put in the new clamps. Guess what? Won't work!!!! So, sending him everything and hoping he can get it to all work. If not, I may part it out and then buy something else.

My issue is simple. I essentially spent $600 ($400 value of my watch and $200 cash) plus all these parts and the service that will be needed to make it right. I will NEVER recover the loss. So, I go and keep it for parts, it is a pretty expensive pile to keep. Then to go and spend another $400-$800 depending on what PAM I go with and I have even more invested.

I went from three really cool and custom pieces to this one "custom" pile of metal and plastic and don't even have another one to wear until this is fixed...

No crying over spilled milk, but this guy should comp me for at least the bill to make it whole. I really feel he needs to pay me the $200 cash back. GRRRRRR...

BadPickle

I am working with an Admin over at RWI first. He is asking for the seller to respond and he seems to have dropped off the planet. Amazing...

That being said, I will post in short time. So far, his username as you saw in the selling post I bought it from shows an RWI username that doesn't exist.

I am also working with a watch builder from the RWI forum as he said he would work on the movement and make it more whole as opposed to being a mish mash of movement parts. He also would help if the cannon needed done to accept the hands, etc.

I also tried to put in the new clamps. Guess what? Won't work!!!! So, sending him everything and hoping he can get it to all work. If not, I may part it out and then buy something else.

My issue is simple. I essentially spent $600 ($400 value of my watch and $200 cash) plus all these parts and the service that will be needed to make it right. I will NEVER recover the loss. So, I go and keep it for parts, it is a pretty expensive pile to keep. Then to go and spend another $400-$800 depending on what PAM I go with and I have even more invested.

I went from three really cool and custom pieces to this one "custom" pile of metal and plastic and don't even have another one to wear until this is fixed...

No crying over spilled milk, but this guy should comp me for at least the bill to make it whole. I really feel he needs to pay me the $200 cash back. GRRRRRR...

hope it works out for you mate :thumbsup2: they're a good bunch them mods next door, if they can sort it they will.

Lizard 1

Ok, guys... So the mod that has been helping me over at RWI told me to post in the original sales thread and warn people and call the guy out. I did that. However, he suggested that I use his user name for now vs real name. So I will abide by that request.

If you go to RWI, his user name is WWJBD. Shows as a user name here, but in the sales thread, you can see he has a RWG user name listed as well. But I looked and it doesn't exist...

Lizard 1

Guys-

Serious question here...

I think I am going to sell this as a project piece for someone. I will sell the watch with the hands pressed back on (Not the way it should be, but works), the movement loose as opposed to freakin putty, include the new hands, a set of generic hands, a low end 6497 movement, new plexi, new clamps, new washer and POSSIBLY both custom straps.

What is this worth? I know the movement isn't 100% 6497 as originally sold, but it is a desired movement. I think these are about $200 new. The case is really nice and the CG is done well. New plexi and drop in a new dial and use the new hands and you'd have a nice piece for next to nothing.

I need to sell to buy something I want vs this thing. It makes me mad every time I look at it and think about this deal.

I was thinking it was fair with ALL of that for $350. One strap of choice for $275 and no straps for $200. Thoughts?

BadPickle

Seems like a decent deal to me, especially without the straps. Sadly your not eligible to list a sale here yet, unless you become a VIP/supporter member, I don't know what the RWI sales rules are :)

Lizard 1

I've been over there a good while. I might become a support at both places since it seems really full of good people that help when needed.

Lizard 1

Just an update... I got the clamps sanded down to work in this case with this movement. I also got the dial removed and saw the damn foam tape they used for the dial to stay on the movement. Once I replaced with thinner double sided adhesive and used a dial washer, I could get the hands to be more flat.

Issue is the hands have a ton of lume somewhat globbed and they barely clear when flat. Plus, they just are not wanting to be as tight as they should be on the cannon. But, I got it to be MUCH better. Now the movement doesn't float and rattle around in the case. I cleaned everything as it was filthy. I'm not a watch smith so, I didn't oil anything...

But, she works now. Winds, hands can be rotated around and round and not drag or seem to become loose. I wouldn't trust them at all, but they look the part.

Interesting thing is that when you look at the seller's original sales thread, the top hand shows how recessed it is before you get to the top of the cannon. Now, it is much better...

I would paste in a link of the sales thread to show the pics and even videos, but not sure if that is a good idea per rules and number of posts here. I don't want to paste in a for sale thread in another forum that I do not have enough posts for. But, if you want to see what I am doing, I can if approved by a Mod/Admin here.

Oh, and a little justice. They put the original seller on a sale lock until he resolves with me. That's pretty cool.