Sign in to follow this  
ShovelnTC

Watch running VERY fast.

ShovelnTC

sloosh in a bit of lighter fluid

:daffy:

Maybe get the back off and movement out and sloosh in a bit of lighter fluid, wait for it to dry

Err, no. I would not do that.

Well at least that suggestion ties in with my 4 pound lump hammer method to free the hairspring :D .

black263

Sloosh in some lighter fluid, and apply a match. That usually dries it out quite nicely. And you can have great fun looking for the bits in the carpet. Whiles away a good hour or two.

greg_r

Update!

OK so I tried Gregs suggestion, first timidly and no result so I then used a little more thump power and it seems to have done the trick.

Good. I suppose we have to give you a watch tinkering... err... thumping certificate now, yes? :D

CertificateMagic_00_19_34.jpg

gavmeister

Sloosh in some lighter fluid, and apply a match. That usually dries it out quite nicely. And you can have great fun looking for the bits in the carpet. Whiles away a good hour or two.

You have far better eyes than I do even with my 10x magnification. I'm still looking for a rotor screw that escaped my tweezers some 4 months ago!

Update!

OK so I tried Gregs suggestion, first timidly and no result so I then used a little more thump power and it seems to have done the trick.

Good. I suppose we have to give you a watch tinkering... err... thumping certificate now, yes? :D

LWell done ShoveInTc - you earned that, the last Finnish certificate I learned about was not earned but bought. :picturepoacher:

TRANSPORTER

Follow this list and you can't go wrong, mind you if you slosh in some lighter fluid then I wouldn't bother with this list, a lot of this will most probably be not your thing from what I'm gathering in your earlier posts but someone might be able to use it mate

WATCH GAINING TIME

Watch not properly cleaned and oiled.

Oil on hairspring.

Watch is magnetized.

Hairspring coils rubbing or sticking together.

Hairspring rubbing on balance arms.

Hairspring rubbing on balance cock.

Hairspring bent out of true.

More than one coil of hairspring between regulator pins.

Hairspring pressing against one of the regulator pins.

Regulator pins bent to close and gripping hairspring.

Regulator pushed all the way to fast.

Balance timing screws loose or missing.

Balance arms bent in.

ShovelnTC

Update!

You have far better eyes than I do even with my 10x magnification. I'm still looking for a rotor screw that escaped my tweezers some 4 months ago!

Update!

LWell done ShoveInTc - you earned that, the last Finnish certificate I learned about was not earned but bought. :picturepoacher:

Follow this list and you can't go wrong, mind you if you slosh in some lighter fluid then I wouldn't bother with this list, a lot of this will most probably be not your thing from what I'm gathering in your earlier posts but someone might be able to use it mate

WATCH GAINING TIME

Watch not properly cleaned and oiled.

Oil on hairspring.

Watch is magnetized.

Hairspring coils rubbing or sticking together.

Hairspring rubbing on balance arms.

Hairspring rubbing on balance cock.

Hairspring bent out of true.

More than one coil of hairspring between regulator pins.

Hairspring pressing against one of the regulator pins.

Regulator pins bent to close and gripping hairspring.

Regulator pushed all the way to fast.

Balance timing screws loose or missing.

Balance arms bent in.

Well this is great, now I can start advertising my services on RWG for an unreasonable fee of course, although after reading Transporters list of possibilities I will have to keep my services limited to Thumping only, although I could also offer stuffing up the keyless as a specialty but not sure if there will be sufficient damand to give up my day job. :rolleyes:

ShovelnTC

Before you swap the movement, if you have an iphone you could try this:

http://www.watch-ins...seful-and-cool/

Well before I start working through Transporters list (read bugger it up more than it is due to my heavy-handedness and inability) I will have to look at de-magnetising as the results show as Magnetised.

S0gYpUR.png

gavmeister

I stole the advice and downloaded this too. It will come in handy one day no doubt when my TD send out my watch which arrives simultaneously along with my of Rare-earth Magnets!!

NCRich

I"m going with dump the whole watch in lighter fluid and ignite.

Hold my beer.

the_frenchman
Demagnetize if you can. Maybe get the back off and movement out and sloosh in a bit of lighter fluid, wait for it to dry (do NOT blow on it with your mouth but use a puffer if you have one). See if that helps.

......I've just tried this on mine actually

The all watch is on fire now.....

7C8E3595-534A-4883-8D58-2645479C7337_zpsyhekuz5n.gif

NCRich

I love the smell of lighter fluid in the morning.

markeym3

A bitch slap always works for me ...

Bobbylah

Are you sure? It might just be perception. As Ferris Beuller stated, 'Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it'

elp

It can be useful ....

MjAxMi05OTE1YjdlMmMzZmM3YjNl.png

10:10 Watch Repair

Before you swap the movement, if you have an iphone you could try this:

http://www.watch-ins...seful-and-cool/

Well before I start working through Transporters list (read bugger it up more than it is due to my heavy-handedness and inability) I will have to look at de-magnetising as the results show as Magnetised.

I doubt it's actually detecting magnetism. I would guess it's detecting symptoms of magnetism which, if you go over that list, could be many other things as well.

ShovelnTC

OK I thought I'd update the thread.

I bought a cheapo De-magetiser for shits and giggles to try anyway and the Spectre did improve from +200 sec a day waaaaay down to 75 but the graph is all over the place so I suspect there is one or more of Transporters noted issues and being as it's a 2813 and so many other threads recommend replacement rather than repair I'm going to give it a go tonight (when I won't be disturbed).

I also tried it on my 2824 which was also showing magnetism (or indication) on my phone ap and it has now changed from +70 Secs a day to around -20 which I'm more than happy with considering it's age and abused life.

So I'll have a go at a movement swap (on the Spectre) and if I stuff it then that's one more step in my amateur watch tinkerer journey.

If one of our "proper" watchmakers or even accomplished tinkerers lived in Aus I'd sent it to them but it's not really economical for a cheapo watch so I haven't got too much to lose by giving it a go.

Fingers crossed!