Sign in to follow this  
doodoowah57

What have I learned in 55 days here ... and 17 reps later ...

doodoowah57

Hi everyone,

Figured it's time to summarized my first two months here. Boy, have I learned a lot, and there is still so much more to learn, appreciate & enjoy.

What have I learned ?

1. Read, read, and read - the information I'm looking for is here somewhere; just gotta type in the key words.

2. Only buy from TDs - if you ask and be specific, they'll find it for you if it exists.

3. Don't be afraid of sending WU to TDs

4. Never use credit card as payment (more on that later)

5. Take everything with a grain of salt; in stride; with much humour; and be able to laugh at myself .. and be PATIENT

6. Never read any of the "wrist checks" or "reviews" ... this will cause your wallet some heavy heavy pain, FFF.

6. Always post pics or it didn't happen .. hehe ... even a lousy single pic is better than none

My first 2 reps came from Perfect Clones. A pair of introductory-level SKY factory subs. Had a situation regarding QCs indicating movements running @ 28800 when in fact it was 21600 ... this pair arrived on Dec. 27th via registered airmail. The postman just left it in my community mailbox instead of knocking on my door and requesting a signature. Reason I chose PC for my first order was they took Paypal.

rolex_sub_116610_black_no_2.jpg

rolex_sub_116610_green.jpg

The next order came from ToroBravos due to recommendations to try him out (this also arrived on Dec. 27th) ... All four watches were heavily discounted from his "specials" (I understand that it is not recommended to order more than two watches at a time, but dollar-wise it was on the low end .. And I have not ordered more than two watches at a time ever since.) Only complaint is that one was described as 43mm while in fact it was 46mm ... my daughter's boyfriend benefited from this oversight as his wrist is 8" while mine is a skinny 6.25" (albeit flat so I could and do wear sizes up to 42.) He was totally delighted with the surprise gift and I couldn't be happier. Unfortunately I no longer have a pic of that UN watch. As the the Pro Hunter Daytona - the moment my daughter set eyes on it, it was a goner before I had a chance to adjust it ... she loves it. I had doubts buying a chrono with seconds @ 6 mated with the often-troublesome A7750, but the asking price was low enough to test the waters. So far no problems with the Daytona or the UN chrono that also has A7750 movement but the seconds are at 9. This was my first experience with WU...all painless and good, and I did this in person at my bank which luckily for me is associated with WU.

UN_chrono.jpg

UN_diver_no_2.jpg

rolex_daytona_PVD.jpg

My birthday is on January 3rd ... and lo and behold, a pair of vintage Daytonas with ST19 hand-wind movements arrived from Marvelous Replicas on that day. The funny thing about this order was that the customs form had "birthday gift" denoted on it ... "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME; HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME ... " hehe ... I'm in the process of getting some fatstraps for these smallish Daytonas ... Yeah, gotta love that Newman look. Love having QC pics of the movement - it shows exactly what I'm getting and how clean or not so clean it is. My first WU payment to MR was not cashable to M for some security reason as per WU head office - had to wait a week before being refunded - and a second WU was sent and this time all went well.

rolex_daytona_gold_no_2.jpg

rolex_daytona_white_no_2.jpg

A few days later, my first order from Mary arrived. Two very colourful and beautiful watches. Very nice person to deal with. I had read about her history here before deciding to give her a try. She has great warranty & shipping policies - could be the best for the time being. Both watches with hand-wind ST19

rolex_daytona_red.jpg

patek_blue.jpg

I can't complain at all about MR's pricing on his vintage Rolex offerings; as such I ordered two subs with the Asian ETA clones: the red and the double red. Love the smaller size and the vintage look. This was my second order from MR.

rolex_sub_red.jpg

rolex_sub_double_red_no_2.jpg

I sought out Mary for the next two watches. The quartz Cellini was for my wife. Unfortunately, the ordered size was 31mm, but I got the 36mm instead. I wrote Mary and she has promised to send the proper sized one after CNY. I also indicated to her that EMS to China/HK from Canada is about $70 (probably more than the cost of the watch ???) As for the Asian ETA clone Sub, there was a polishing flaw by the crown, but that can be easily rectified with my Dremel toolkit ... I did mention this to Mary.

rolex_sub_3_6_9.jpg

rolex_cellini.jpg

Soon after my first rep order (Perfect Clones), I made my second rep order with TSWatches. It was for a black two-tone; and a BLNR GMT-II, both with ETA clones. I chose TSW for these two watches as they had a Christmas discount of 15% AND they took credit card payment. I made my credit card payment in USD but ended up being charged by TSW's gateway in Yuan which added an unexpected and additional 10% - translated: it worked out to $1.47 CDN (I'm in Canada) to the USD when credit card rates were running $1.33 CDN to each USD. OUCH & FFF ... painful lesson. Never will I use credit card as payment. The QCs from Christina was very quick, but unfortunately soon after my okaying them, she said one had slight scratches that were not evident in the pics - no big deal, I can wait or LEARN TO BE PATIENT. A week or so goes by without any word and I emailed Christina, and she said replacement was not good either ... okay, now I'm a little leery, but I wait some more, another week plus before I contact Christina and she said the warehouse has promised to get it to her the next day ... updated QCs sent and I got my two beautiful GMT-IIs within 3 days via DHL. Great communication and professionalism. But can't get over the overcharge issue with the credit card ... never again, will use Paypal or WU.

rolex_GMT_2tone_black_no_2.jpg

rolex_GMT_BLNR.jpg

My most recent purchase (arrived late last week) was from Reg. I have read so much about his Regmariners ... so I had to find out whether it was myth or for real. Since I already purchased the black & the Hulk, I was left with the Smurf or the Bamford Blue - like both but chose the Bamford (I actually wanted to Bamford Stormtrooper - currently out-of-stock.) Because the watch was coming from Thailand via registered airmail, the wait was excruciatingly long in comparison to the quick-quick EMS or DHL. It took five weeks from time it left Thailand (not date of mailing) to reach me. No matter, the watch is beautiful and worth the wait (Murphy's Law came into play: the watch arrived the day after I contacted Reg regarding delivery times) ... Regmariners are no myth. I have since place my second order with Reg (pics in due course.) My only negative observation: the Thai 2813 in this watch (could very well be from China) is louder than my other 2813s from China (SKY subs x2 from PC; and UN diver)

rolex_sub_bamford_blue.jpg

Unfortunately, I could not get the details of the honeycomb-pattern dial with my phone/camera ... it is a beauty. AND I still want the stormtrooper.

There would have been a 18th and 19th rep from Amanda at Kuvarsit (Daytonas), but due to a delay in picking up the WU payment (her accountant was sick), WU cancelled payment (reason not given to me by WU), and took another month to return the money to my account which just happened last week ... sheeeeesh

After almost two months collecting and enjoying the reps, I'm still as passionate if not more so than when I first joined last December. I can say I'm hooked. Yes, many of you will say or at least think, "what the f**k, he could have bought a really good gen. or two." and my response would be that I have had much more pleasure from the above reps than any gen or gens that I could have bought with the same money ... AND, I have also learned to make my own light-box for picture taking; learned to cracked open the watches to ensure I'm getting the movement I paid for (my sticky ball is coming but in the meantime I have a big wad of duct-tape.); learned to use dental floss for loose bezels (especially on the vintage subs) ... much thanks to Onze for his pictured tutorial; and more thanks to him for his reminder of Loc-tite; learned many basic tips; remembered that I have an ultrasonic cleaner; learned to enjoy MOST of the postings here without getting a hard-on from the pics (both of watches & women - help me out here: why do so many of you use a supersexy dame as your pic ??? is it a Brit thing ??? Do excuse this Canuck for his impertinence in asking.); and learned that there is nothing like sharing your passion with other like-minded collectors/nuts/wackos/gentlemen/gentlewoman... Thanks for the read.

RUSH2112

Don't be shy, go in with both feet

doodoowah57

Don't be shy, go in with both feet

This forum gave me the confidence, information, source, trash talk, honesty ... everything but the CASH

Not a bad 55 days ... one for my wife, one for my daughter, one for her boyfriend, and 14 for me ... gotta keep everyone happy

FlyingSpur

Congrats on your instant collection... Are you going to wear these a bit before ordering your next dozen? Just curious...

I'm still waiting on number one to arrive.

doodoowah57

Congrats on your instant collection... Are you going to wear these a bit before ordering your next dozen? Just curious...

Being retired and a home-body, I tend to wear up to six different watches per day depending on my ever-changing mood ... bad thing is that I have not worn a gen since my first rep. on Dec. 27th

What did you order ???

yesgary

Nice purchasing doodoowah57! Could you please tell me what the BLNR is (noob etc?) Looks good! :)

Larreynaga

Being retired and a home-body, I tend to wear up to six different watches per day depending on my ever-changing mood ... bad thing is that I have not worn a gen since my first rep. on Dec. 27th

Gens are overrated, and more often than not, overpriced as well... you should be fine

doodoowah57

Nice purchasing doodoowah57! Could you please tell me what the BLNR is (noob etc?) Looks good! :)

It is from BP factory - 116710 BLNR with A2836-2 movement

doodoowah57

Gens are overrated, and more often than not, overpriced as well... you should be fine

Every time I have a gen serviced, it is the price of two very nice reps ... my first real nice gen was an AirKing from my dad when I was 16, he bought it in HK for $400 HK in 1967, I had that watch serviced, new dial & new plexi-crystal for the princely sum of $70 back in 1977; then I gave the watch back to my dad ... I want value for my money, and I think I can get that with most reps; IMHO, much bigger bang for the buck with reps than gens ... the watches whether rep or gen are to please me and no one else.

BIG GRUNDY

Nice..been here a couple month longer than you and haven't even purchased anything as of yet...

NCRich

After almost two months collecting and enjoying the reps, I'm still as passionate if not more so than when I first joined last December. I can say I'm hooked. Yes, many of you will say or at least think, "what the f**k, he could have bought a really good gen. or two." and my response would be that I have had much more pleasure from the above reps than any gen or gens that I could have bought with the same money ... AND, I have also learned to make my own light-box for picture taking; learned to cracked open the watches to ensure I'm getting the movement I paid for (my sticky ball is coming but in the meantime I have a big wad of duct-tape.); learned to use dental floss for loose bezels (especially on the vintage subs) ... much thanks to Onze for his pictured tutorial; and more thanks to him for his reminder of Loc-tite; learned many basic tips; remembered that I have an ultrasonic cleaner; learned to enjoy MOST of the postings here without getting a hard-on from the pics (both of watches & women - help me out here: why do so many of you use a supersexy dame as your pic ??? is it a Brit thing ??? Do excuse this Canuck for his impertinence in asking.); and learned that there is nothing like sharing your passion with other like-minded collectors/nuts/wackos/gentlemen/gentlewoman... Thanks for the read.

I could also easily have a couple of gens for what I've spent, but I like the variety. I really, really enjoy the tinkering way more than wearing the watch. I can do things to these watches with impunity. I would never touch a gen for tinkering. Too much downside risk. Like your choices.

k3rm87

Jesus mate, that many reps in 2 months.. good collection you have there.

FlyingSpur

What did you order ???

Rolex v7 sub with date from BK...

doodoowah57

Nice..been here a couple month longer than you and haven't even purchased anything as of yet...

I've been in love with watches since my teens ... in particular, complications; but could never afford them. Even so, I've had a wish list of the more common varieties such as the Subs, GMTs & Daytonas. I've always known the existence of replicas but never ventured into the waters. I've read many posts from various forums and decided to join here 'cause I've learned the most from this particular forum ... finding the TD list was a wallet-busting Godsend (oxymoronic ???). Like some say, find the dealer first, then the watch ... I do the same with gens. Once the TDs were found, the rest was easy except for the waiting. But I have learned to be patient.

What did you order ???

Rolex v7 sub with date from BK...

NICE

doodoowah57

I could also easily have a couple of gens for what I've spent, but I like the variety. I really, really enjoy the tinkering way more than wearing the watch. I can do things to these watches with impunity. I would never touch a gen for tinkering. Too much downside risk. Like your choices.

You've hit the nail right on the head .. VARIETY. A watch is the only piece of jewelry (I prefer "tool" or "instrument") that I wear. I don't even wear a wedding band; so variety is important as I do get bored very easily, hence I have a daily rotation, and when time permits, I go swapping the straps for a totally different look.

I'm not brave or learned enough to start tinkering with the inner-workings of a watch. With gens, I only change the straps; but with the reps, I have confidently open them up to inspect and marvel ... and you're right, very little risk playing with reps. I would love to have the expertise to start modding....another expensive branch of watch collecting ... Awwwwww

doodoowah57

Jesus mate, that many reps in 2 months.. good collection you have there.

Thanks mate

markeym3

That is a nice write up there , and a fine selection too..

It is a danger being at home on the net , you soon get swallowed up and your wallet gets lighter,

Variety is the thing , in the early days I did use to buy buy buy then sell sell sell then you miss the watch you just sold and buy it again , and after a while you settle into a style you feel happy with.

Enjoy your new hobby and look forward to seeing more pics ,,

Davesjourney

Great write up!

MAJ75

Enjoyed reading this & I'm sure many of us can identify with the kid in a sweet shop mentality that consumes you when you see your first quality rep & it opens your eyes to the possibilities of what is out there.

It will be fascinating to see how your mindset changes after a few months or years in the hobby, will you be someone with over 100 pieces that get worn a couple of times if at all during a year or will you ultimately reach I sensible level where all can be worn & enjoyed more frequently?

Thanks for taking the time & sharing your thoughts and collection with us............

tonyh7

If RWG awarded medals this guy should get one! 17 reps in 55 days. Makes me feel quite restrained by comparison. Some nice looking watches too.

doodoowah57

That is a nice write up there , and a fine selection too..

It is a danger being at home on the net , you soon get swallowed up and your wallet gets lighter,

Variety is the thing , in the early days I did use to buy buy buy then sell sell sell then you miss the watch you just sold and buy it again , and after a while you settle into a style you feel happy with.

Enjoy your new hobby and look forward to seeing more pics ,,

I'm still in the buy, buy, buy mode ... my wife has asked on numerous occasions, "what are you going to do with so many?", "where would you sell them when time comes?", "Really, some more !!!" ... she knows that once I get involved in something I love, I learn as much as I can, then jump in with both feet running at full steam ahead

My initial plan was to acquire a couple/few models from each of my favourite houses - AP, Breguet, Breitling, JLC, PP, Rolex, VC... but after browsing through many sites for availability and reading up on the good and the bad, fantasy vs. reality; movement choices ... my plan of attack has changed - for instance, I love the current-day Daytonas but because most use A7750 with seconds @ 6; or 2813 with faux chrono; or A7750 with seconds @ 9 which is contrary to gen - I have shied away from them and have acquire the vintage Daytonas with the ST19 manual winds instead.

I learn something new every day ... and my collecting habits will change with that newly acquired knowledge ... in the meantime, I smile every time I look at my wrist and enjoy and appreciate what's on there.

doodoowah57

Enjoyed reading this & I'm sure many of us can identify with the kid in a sweet shop mentality that consumes you when you see your first quality rep & it opens your eyes to the possibilities of what is out there.

It will be fascinating to see how your mindset changes after a few months or years in the hobby, will you be someone with over 100 pieces that get worn a couple of times if at all during a year or will you ultimately reach I sensible level where all can be worn & enjoyed more frequently?

Thanks for taking the time & sharing your thoughts and collection with us............

Totally agree with you "kid in a sweet shop mentality" ... having access to the web may not be a good thing, HAHA ... the possibilities are indeed endless; thank goodness I don't have bottomless pockets.

When I look at a watch, any watch, it has to immediately grab my attention - colour, design, size, strap/bracelet, movement, quality, etc - then I add that attention-grabber to my wish list; and I TRY very hard to forget about for a few days/weeks .. and when I get back to it and if it still captivates me, I go searching for the right TD to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Only time will tell where I end up and how I got there ... in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy every wristwatch I acquire by giving it proper wear-time and TLC.

doodoowah57

If RWG awarded medals this guy should get one! 17 reps in 55 days. Makes me feel quite restrained by comparison. Some nice looking watches too.

I can only hope that my next 17 will take much much longer than 55 days. That said, I have a two-week vacation to Hong Kong this coming March/April.

greg_r

17 in less than two months? That's pretty good going, mate, even by the standards of this place :D

Enjoy!

Genius

Quite the collection you have built up in sod all time literally a few weeks ago I was speaking to you about the sky subs and now I think you have more reps than me!