Sign in to follow this  
James.l

A2836-2 Rolex Movement Problem

James.l

I've got a yacht master that appears to have developed a fault, the date wheel has become loose and no longer sits in the window correctly when the date is corrected and now subsequently the crown and stem doesn't appear to stay located inside the movement when back together, i'm guessing the plunger has become stuck down.

i've contacted Nick @WatchRepairUK to see how much to repair / service the watch but wondering if it might be more cost effective for a straight movement swap.

Anyone had this issue before?

Foxindebox

Sounds like you need a keyless reset and the overlay sticking back onto the datewheel. Not sure how much is charged for that but a new movement will set you back £70-80 plus you will have to stick the overlay on anyway. At least if you get it repaired it's labour only.

ShovelnTC

The movement swap isn't as simple as we would hope due to the datewheel overlay which in itself can be difficult to get properly aligned so I think the repair by a proper watchmaker is the best option if you aren't an experienced watch tinkerer or if you don't want to risk damaging your watch in the pursuit of watchtinkering experience.

James.l

Thank you. I'll wait and see what the cost is from Nick to get it sorted.

Cheers

Verve

I've got a yacht master that appears to have developed a fault, the date wheel has become loose and no longer sits in the window correctly when the date is corrected and now subsequently the crown and stem doesn't appear to stay located inside the movement when back together, i'm guessing the plunger has become stuck down.

i've contacted Nick @WatchRepairUK to see how much to repair / service the watch but wondering if it might be more cost effective for a straight movement swap.

Anyone had this issue before?

Yup, happened to mine (2836-2 as well) and have stripped it all for a full service. Just waiting for oils and greases to put it all back. Datewheel overlay is something will have to deal with when putting it all back together.