Sign in to follow this  
Bbgud

Rolex submariner...go REP or GEN ??

porschespeedster

What I like is that now even Reps can be re-sold for about what you pay for them, so in the end you really lose almost nothing either way.

So, Beck or Vintage Speedster or ??

:boxedin:

Smile,

Dave

^^^^^

Beck 356 Speedster!!! Ha

Dual-carbs and rather zippy for a little plastic tub on wheels. :)

Edited by porschespeedster

porschespeedster

also @ Diver Dave, i completely agree with you about vintage RLX vs the modern ones.

I've owned a 5512 and very much enjoyed it.

Sold it for about $1500 more than I paid, so I guess I got paid $50 or $60 a month to wear it :)

Still have an old Air-King floating around in the States somewhere, probably at my mother's home.

to others: Reps can surely be waterproof and/or accurate. All of mine are, though half of them are that way because I regulated and or greased them up myself.

Edited by porschespeedster

Diver Dave

What I like is that now even Reps can be re-sold for about what you pay for them, so in the end you really lose almost nothing either way.

So, Beck or Vintage Speedster or ??

:boxedin:

Smile,

Dave

^^^^^

Beck 356 Speedster!!! Ha

Dual-carbs and rather zippy for a little plastic tub on wheels. :)

So Reps are good! Beck builds great stuff. I've a basic (Genuine) '64 Coupe in the garage.

Fancy one of the 917's that were being built in Oz, but think my next build will be a 906 Rep for the track.

The advice on buying Gens holds here too, but, like watches, sometimes finances interfere. Sadly.

Here's free advice: Buy a nice Karmann Ghia. Just trust me here. Get a good one and stash it. They are appreciating like plastic crystal Submariners. Mine's a '71. After all, other than Reutter, who build 356 bodies? I'm, driving it next month from Mojave CA on Rt 66 all the way to Chicago, then around the top of Lake Michigan, and then to the east coast.

Buy one.... it's like buying a Gen Tudor. It's "The Other Porsche".

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

Bozrep

the main difference between a good Submariner replica and a gen is the movement. Visual they are almost the same, but inside there are great differences. You can wear a gen every day for 5 years without problems. A rep can't hold it for a year of intense use. The only way to go is to service the movement after buying a rep. most Chinese movements are dirty and dry. If you do so, a rep can be as reliable as a gen, for a 10th of the costs.

itzelsnitch

Im looking for a submariner, perfer the black ones are they are more clean. Howevery my budget is low and I've never bought a rep watch before. Ive browsed all of the TD websites and I can't really tell the difference between a 78$ rep and a 338$ rep. I mean sure the QC pics are better on the expensive one but its also 4x the price. Am I throwing money away by buying a cheapo?

black263

Im looking for a submariner, perfer the black ones are they are more clean. Howevery my budget is low and I've never bought a rep watch before. Ive browsed all of the TD websites and I can't really tell the difference between a 78$ rep and a 338$ rep. I mean sure the QC pics are better on the expensive one but its also 4x the price. Am I throwing money away by buying a cheapo?

Depends what you call cheap. $150 will get you a cracking Regmariner.

Rolex_Man

When you get to a TC sub or a BK sub, which can run up to $700, & if you add a gen insert, another $150-$200, those will be as close to a gen sub as you're ever gonna get.

A $78 sub like you mentioned has quite a few flaws that can be easily spotted. If you have a tight budget, but can afford a Noob 7, I would go for that, usually over $350. JF factory is about $420, BP from $218-$378 for a decent sub.

greg_r

the main difference between a good Submariner replica and a gen is the movement. Visual they are almost the same, but inside there are great differences. You can wear a gen every day for 5 years without problems. A rep can't hold it for a year of intense use. The only way to go is to service the movement after buying a rep. most Chinese movements are dirty and dry. If you do so, a rep can be as reliable as a gen, for a 10th of the costs.

Nonsense. You can wear a rep every day for 5 years without a problem. Equally you can buy a gen and it may go wrong within weeks/months. I speak from personal experience of both scenarios. Rep or gen, there's a large degree of "luck of the draw." Pointless servicing a movement until it actually needs it, however....

Diver Dave

I wore a Gen every day for *thirty eight* years. And still wear it today. With two overhauls during that period. The overhaul ti just came back from will likely be the last one I ever pay for, simply looking at my age versus time between overhauls.

And, with a lube and clean, a rep "might" do the same thing. Or it might not. It'll take a lifetime to learn if so, and "until it breaks" if not.

The questions are:

1: Is it important to you to use your all too short life to prove or disprove it?

2: Is your own personal ethos bolstered by or distracted by knowing that you're participating in a sleight of fakery?

3: Do you have heirs who would be deeply appreciative of a real heirloom handed down that you wore for a lifetime?

4: Do you invest in things that you expect to appreciate, or do you prefer to pay a lesser sum, knowing that you have spent to purchase a consumable object and not invested in a long term durable item?

These are all things that only you can answer.

Let's face it: If you have $200 and you want a watch to last a lifetime, you'll be best off buying a nice Seiko. And when you hand it down at least you'll be handing down an authentic Seiko.

I'd be pretty pissed to be handed Dad or Grandpop's watch after he died, and to take it into a jeweler for cleaning only to be told it was a Chinese fake.....

Some of this simply comes down to personal pride. After all, who are you trying to impress? If you're simply satisfying yourself, you're on the right track. I'm to the point where I don't give a shit what I wear any more, and so I'm beating up a rep rather than exposing a priceless heirloom to possibility of loss. If you're trying to impress others with your watch, I suspect that no matter what you wear you'll always be sorely disappointed. Hint: In the real world, nobody gives a shit what watch you wear. Nobody looks, and nobody cares. Care for yourself, and take what pride you personally take from it. If a rep suits you, then go for it. If a gen suits you, then go for it. Neither will make you a better person, get you better girlfriends, or make lousy whiskey taste better. They just tell time.

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

black263

My son is quite the opposite. He's looking forward to my rep collection. (Just to piss him off, I've decided to outlive him)

Thelittleprince

I wore a Gen every day for *thirty eight* years. And still wear it today. With two overhauls during that period. The overhaul ti just came back from will likely be the last one I ever pay for, simply looking at my age versus time between overhauls.

And, with a lube and clean, a rep "might" do the same thing. Or it might not. It'll take a lifetime to learn if so, and "until it breaks" if not.

The questions are:

1: Is it important to you to use your all too short life to prove or disprove it?

2: Is your own personal ethos bolstered by or distracted by knowing that you're participating in a sleight of fakery?

3: Do you have heirs who would be deeply appreciative of a real heirloom handed down that you wore for a lifetime?

4: Do you invest in things that you expect to appreciate, or do you prefer to pay a lesser sum, knowing that you have spent to purchase a consumable object and not invested in a long term durable item?

These are all things that only you can answer.

Let's face it: If you have $200 and you want a watch to last a lifetime, you'll be best off buying a nice Seiko. And when you hand it down at least you'll be handing down an authentic Seiko.

I'd be pretty pissed to be handed Dad or Grandpop's watch after he died, and to take it into a jeweler for cleaning only to be told it was a Chinese fake.....

Some of this simply comes down to personal pride. After all, who are you trying to impress? If you're simply satisfying yourself, you're on the right track. I'm to the point where I don't give a shit what I wear any more, and so I'm beating up a rep rather than exposing a priceless heirloom to possibility of loss. If you're trying to impress others with your watch, I suspect that no matter what you wear you'll always be sorely disappointed. Hint: In the real world, nobody gives a shit what watch you wear. Nobody looks, and nobody cares. Care for yourself, and take what pride you personally take from it. If a rep suits you, then go for it. If a gen suits you, then go for it. Neither will make you a better person, get you better girlfriends, or make lousy whiskey taste better. They just tell time.

Dave

Finally!!! The perfect response.

Case closed after this :lol:

Hinclimincli

That's exactly the reason why I'm going for a gen in a couple of months.

And the line above is the reason why I bought three reps of the three candidates, as in terms of money and features they're quite similar but I want to wear them for a while before deciding.

I'll sell them after that (*)

(*) That's what I'm telling the missus, surely she doesn't believe it at all. Neither do I, ha!

Hanjishan

Rep and use the spare cash for a more interesting GEN. The v7 is super good but even the regmariner is superb, especially for £100

What is the regmariner? Did you mean Noob's first?

qwaz

Rep and use the spare cash for a more interesting GEN. The v7 is super good but even the regmariner is superb, especially for £100

It's a sub sold by narikaa, its basically a 21j submariner sold for around $100. Here:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=113791

Rolex_Man

It's a sub sold by narikaa, its basically a 21j submariner sold for around $100. Here:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=113791

Yeah, if you don't care about anyone calling you out, as far as Rolex enthusiasts go, then buy this watch.

black263

Narikaa's real name is Reg. Hence the Reg-Submariner, or Regmariner. He's the only one that supplies this model, and it's generally recognised as best bang for buck. The other TDs are China based, and supply Chinese builds. Reg is UK based, but travels to Thailand to source his watches in person..

A bit better, but a lot more expensive is the latest model from Noob. At present it's the V7.

Next price point up is BK. BK takes the latest Noobs and corrects several of the tells, but is again considerably more expensive than a factory Noob. You may hear of TC, who used to make hand-builds of a very few Rolex, and these are the Creme de la Creme at an appropriate price. He's stopped building these at present, but they do come up from time to time on M2M