Sign in to follow this  
instinct

Strap off, Strap on

instinct

I've been searching all over the forum, but I couldn't find out how to change my straps correctly.

Recently I got 2 wonderful PAMs and intending to change the straps for these beauties. But before my pruchase I want to try and find out what tools I'd need and how do I take off the straps that came with the watches and put a new one correctly without damaging too much of the watch.

I read some suggestion to use a spring bar that can be bought @ RWG shop (https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=32).. But there seems to be plenty to choose from. One of them even describes it like this

Recommended for use only when the screw thread in the lugs has been damaged,

PROLONGED USE WHEN THE SCREW THREAD IS UNDAMAGED WILL CAUSE

DAMAGE TO THE SCREW THREAD

This just makes my worries even more.

Simply, my questions are.. Which springbars should I get so that I won't damage anything? Also, what'd be a good springbar to use for IWC watches? Particularly the big pilot.

greg_r

Assuming the PAMs are the versions with the screw lugs rather than the later quick release, all you need is a screwdriver. PAM Springbars are, IMO, a last resort if the lugs get cross-threaded and if you take care, that shouldn't happen.

prestigewatchco

I always find when changing a band on a Panerai it is best to

1st make sure correct sized screw driver fit can't be too perfect

then tighten it a little before you try to remove it.

To refit push screw back in to thread opening by hand and rotate it backwards until the thread clicks into place them tighten it as normal this will avoid any cross threading in my experience.

Just going at it in the normal way will at some stage cause it to cross thread only takes a second and it's ruined

For the easy quick change bands use wooden cocktail sticks to push the button to release do the same when refitting don't force anything or you will break it!

Best tip with these is to find a strap you like and live with it!

instinct

Great! Found mine to be a screw type for the both of them..

So I guess I should just buy the tools for the very small screws now.

Baldrick

Don't just buy any old screwdriver set, the cheap ones can cause you all sorts of trouble, for best results buy a set from Col's watch shop here on the forum the RWG Shop, good stuff and great prices. :lol: