Sign in to follow this  
Takken

Omega De-Ville

Takken

I found a gen Omega that I wanted to buy to my father, the asking price is around 800$ Is it a go or a no?

Best regards

40pps.jpg

jameo210369

Beautiful and elegant, he'll be delighted with it.

greg_r

Beautiful watch - I've no idea of the value, though, sorry...

omni

I can't place that vintage model, looks around 1960 - 1970. Without the specs (like has it been recently serviced?): That might be an okay price but you could probably pick up a vintage De Ville or Seamaster De Ville with a date wheel for around $500 - $600 searching vintage sources. B)

Balad1

I guess the big question is it something your father would want and appreciate? If he's not a vintage Omega guy then it's not worth spit, if you know what I mean?

KeNnY

I have seen last week an video with radioactive materials used in watches.. Most of them were from year 1950-1970. So watch out ! B) I must buy that Geiger counter to check my Lume in my watches, if it is radioactive lol :)

But most of that radioactivity was only on lume material used in old watches. They all have used Radium, what can develop bone cancer. But also the radioactivity can come from some used materials. I bet when I was a boy, I was playing with 50 years old watch clock, what had illuminated hands, and I BET it was Radium :)

But the watch is really nice, and if it is cleaned, serviced and working great, I would buy it.

omni

Magnifying the OP picture provided, there doesn't appear to be any radium 226 paint on dials or hour indicators. Most all radium paint was banned in the early '60s if not sooner. The only danger posed to you as a kid and if you are today repairing/servicing vintage radium painted clocks is opening up the watch and ingesting or breathing in the flakes and maybe radon gas from the decayed paint, but you'd probably have to be handling a lot of clocks to where it would expose you enough to do harm. The increased radiation you get from a vintage radium painted wristwatch is pretty negligible. With Japan's nuclear disaster looming in the minds of everyone around the world, I think we have all become more informed about radiation exposure.