Sign in to follow this  
WatchDog21

Sharkey - Seiko SBBN015 Homage

WatchDog21

I have been considering a Seiko Marinmaster for awhile but was not sure if I would like the look and feel on my wrist. I came across this thread over on WUS. I actually went through all 60 pages (at the time) reading all the comments. I found the item on Taobao and then went through an agent to do the purchase. For about $170 delivered I am rather pleased. There is nothing cheap looking or feeling about this. A great bargain for the money and I got to do a sort of test drive on a MM.

Ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal, NH35 Movement, water resistance (to a certain degree), winding and hacking; it really was sort of a no brainer! It came in a nice box and on an almost Seiko quality rubber strap but I had a Super Engineer sitting around so I mounted it in place of the rubber one for now.

I can easily say that there will be an MM300 purchase in the near future but this one definitely scratches that itch for now.

32533702361_77a58bd3ab_c.jpg

32276772810_7bfb0e9653_c.jpg

31808751174_c95510dabd_c.jpg

33589736926_1f9db0a2a7_c.jpg

33247042120_025174b941_c.jpg

33247041010_48be0f2ae7_c.jpg

33589737646_e4ecd48467_c.jpg

33247044240_29576a4a4b_c.jpg

33492895101_f870ebcf25_c.jpg

and yes pretty darn good lume! Doesn't last as long as a Seiko but does a good job.

32272509390_78d0c821d4_c.jpg

SliceMaster

WOW that looks really nice!!

graman

I'm liking that..................

............rather a great deal............

cvp3

That's it! I'm buying one! Where did you find that bracelet?

Khronos

Tell me, is the bezel action on this one OK?

I'm going to the post office today to return my second Seiko SBBN033 Tuna, because it has a terrible bezel action. Smooth on certain parts, but really bad on other parts, a grinding sound, like something is breaking inside. There are many reports in WUS that it happens to lots of owners and that it can't even be repaired properly..really disappointing for a JDM product for almost a grand..

On the other hand the bezel action on my SKX007 feels amazing and that's a 200€ watch.

cvp3

Ordered, $157USD. Found and engineer bracelet for $31 on eBay.

Khronos

Now that's a bargain :)

Where did you buy it? I tried Taobao and it's all in chinese and they're oos on eBay.

WatchDog21

Now that's a bargain :)

Where did you buy it? I tried Taobao and it's all in chinese and they're oos on eBay.

I used a Taobao agent. There are a few different ones and will charge a small fee; Spreenow is one other that I can think of but I used this one.

Watch, agent fee and shipping only came to about $170. Check eBay for this seller He is also doing the MM300 homage.

Khronos

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

I sent my SBBN033 back and I'll just get this one.

Robin195959

Thats a great pick up mate. Enjoy

WatchDog21

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

I sent my SBBN033 back and I'll just get this one.

:thumbsup: I know I keep saying it over and over, but this is a really nice watch, especially for the money! I put it side by side to my MM300 for a comparison of the movement sweep here

cvp3

Flash forward 24 hours. Taking the lead from cmdErrX:

1) Ordered a Merkur version off ebay, with a turtle for shits and giggle

2) Used spreenow to order 1 brushed, 1 PVD version

3) Got a PM from a seller on WUS and bought his PVD version

4) Bought a brushed and black super engineer bracelet to match

5) Bought 2 sterile clear case backs (Seiko SKX007 fit) to show off the movement

So will have at least one brushed version to sell and a PVD if everything goes as planned. One set of pix from cmdErrX cost me $900. Better than hookers and blow I guess.

WatchDog21

Flash forward 24 hours. Taking the lead from cmdErrX:

1) Ordered a Merkur version off ebay, with a turtle for shits and giggle

2) Used spreenow to order 1 brushed, 1 PVD version

3) Got a PM from a seller on WUS and bought his PVD version

4) Bought a brushed and black super engineer bracelet to match

5) Bought 2 sterile clear case backs (Seiko SKX007 fit) to show off the movement

So will have at least one brushed version to sell and a PVD if everything goes as planned. One set of pix from cmdErrX cost me $900. Better than hookers and blow I guess.

:lol: my apologies! I am looking forward to seeing it with the display case back!

cvp3

It will find its rightful place amongst my seikos.

IMG_5395.jpg

WatchDog21

My Sharkey has been granted the "prestige" and being grouped with all of my Seiko watches in the watch box.

cvp3

Quick update. I ordered both the brushed and the PVD models from spreenow. The brushed was no issue, I already have terrible pictures to confirm (LOL) and suspect it will be on its way soon. The PVD is out of stock so I rolled the money into my spree acct. The PVD from the WUS member is now inbound to me by Wednesday. I was also able to cancel the Merkur order as the China based seller was super cool......and I quote "no problem bro". In the end it all worked out.

Most likely going to use the spree monies to fund the Mm300m purchase.

WatchDog21
Quick update. I ordered both the brushed and the PVD models from spreenow. The brushed was no issue, I already have terrible pictures to confirm (LOL) and suspect it will be on its way soon. The PVD is out of stock so I rolled the money into my spree acct. The PVD from the WUS member is now inbound to me by Wednesday. I was also able to cancel the Merkur order as the China based seller was super cool......and I quote "no problem bro". In the end it all worked out. Most likely going to use the spree monies to fund the Mm300m purchase.

Glad to hear its all working out. At moments I question if I should have just kept the standing order for the Merkur MM300. If I still feel the need to have it I am sure some will pop up over on WUS in awhile.

cvp3
Quick update. I ordered both the brushed and the PVD models from spreenow. The brushed was no issue, I already have terrible pictures to confirm (LOL) and suspect it will be on its way soon. The PVD is out of stock so I rolled the money into my spree acct. The PVD from the WUS member is now inbound to me by Wednesday. I was also able to cancel the Merkur order as the China based seller was super cool......and I quote "no problem bro". In the end it all worked out. Most likely going to use the spree monies to fund the Mm300m purchase.

Glad to hear its all working out. At moments I question if I should have just kept the standing order for the Merkur MM300. If I still feel the need to have it I am sure some will pop up over on WUS in awhile.

Hoping for the same.

cvp3

My pictures are shit compared to yours. I need to upgrade my phone. Here's the PVD arrived today. Still waiting for the brushed version and my bracelets and glassbacks. Also included my Seiko SUN065P1 diver for reference. It's a 48mm watch and feels it. The Sharkey is more like a 43mm and is a nice comfortable size. I'll probably have a Seiko PADI for sale in the near future.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

WatchDog21
My pictures are shit compared to yours. I need to upgrade my phone. Here's the PVD arrived today. Still waiting for the brushed version and my bracelets and glassbacks. Also included my Seiko SUN065P1 diver for reference. It's a 48mm watch and feels it. The Sharkey is more like a 43mm and is a nice comfortable size. I'll probably have a Seiko PADI for sale in the near future. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Congrats and glad it has arrived but PLEASE don't flip the PADI. Both are great watches, keep them!

cvp3

Agreed on the PADI. Just ordered the SBDX001 homage tonight.

b680c28016065ab08ea141243bc2bc09.jpg

winstoda

Very nice.  The 62MAS homage is worth a pickup too.