Sign in to follow this  
Diver Dave

Sea Story of two Gens and a Rep (Rolex 1665, Rolex GMT, and Rep Tudor)

Oris

Just send her a note and ask. That's all I did. I shot her another note earlier tonight asking about a few more, as I have friends who will want them too.

Thanks for a really enjoyable post Diver Dave,

Nice to read about these watches in their proper, practical context or their intended design.

Also, very tempted to pick up a Tudor Sub like the one you've purchased, thanks for the inspo : )

ShovelnTC

Great story, great watches and great attitude from someone who has lived the life.

Thanks for taking the time.

stüssi

Thanks for sharing, really interesting read! Do you plan to do some mods on the Tudor?

elp

What great stories, thanks for sharing.

Glad to see the Tudor on a canvas strap.....having nearly lost my Citizen Aqualands and my Suunto a few times while on boats or diving I appreciate having a nato or zulu that can hang off a second pin if required.

Diver Dave

What great stories, thanks for sharing.

Glad to see the Tudor on a canvas strap.....having nearly lost my Citizen Aqualands and my Suunto a few times while on boats or diving I appreciate having a nato or zulu that can hang off a second pin if required.

It's actually not even canvas, it's elastic. The story goes that the MN (French Navy) divers were issued watches without straps installed (bought from Tudor as heads only, without bracelets). The Parachute Rigggers would then take elastic webbing normally used on parachute containers to open the container and sewed webbing loops out of them for each divers wrist size. This made a strap that was easy to wear over a wetsuit, withoperfect depth compensation, and over the wrist as well. Later on the riggers figured out how to repurpose the hardware used on the parachute containers to make up an adjustable strap for the same purpose. sDTcseP.jpgThe photos show how they are made and worn. The image of a French MN diver, wearing Tudor Sub, on one of these bands, is iconic in vintage military diving circles. The bands are SUPER comfortable, and can be simply pulled over your hand without unbuckling them. And, as you say, they capture both pins. Interestingly enough, I avoid a real NATO strap, as if I hang up my hand on, say, a canopy rail during an ejection from a jet, I'm going to lose my hand. I want something that will either break a pin or break the band. The sewn NATO web straps are simply too strong for safely. It's the same reason that we don't wear our wedding rings in the jets. Many pilots simply slip their wedding ring over the end of their watch strap when flying. In any event, this strap is ideal and is actually one of the reasons I picked this particular model Tudor as my daily-wear Rep, as it's been what was issued on them for many decades.

The watch is one of my Seiko mods, I build high end Seiko Mods that have become the watch of choice for many of the divers and pilots I work with. Great watches for working professionals. In the old days, a non commissioned officer could buy a Rolex at the military exchange for two weeks of pay. Now it's two months of pay. I build high spec Seiko mods that cost a weeks pay, and will serve a professional pilot, diver, or soldier for a lifetime. Best bang for the buck, no question about it.

Diver Dave
ONTelD8.jpgYq8euI7.jpg

Diver Dave

Thanks for sharing, really interesting read! Do you plan to do some mods on the Tudor?

No, I don't see the need. It is what it is. The only "improvement" will be honest wear and tear, scratches and nicks. That's what the Japanese call "Wabi Sabi", and is the best thing a watch can wear.

elp

You learn something new every day, thanks!

GenTLe

Interesting life you have had!

Don't tell me you even managed to find a stable woman or a family, because I'll kill my self... :)

You've my envy.

Davesjourney

You, Sir, are a monster addition to this merry little group!!!

Adventurer, diver, test fecking pilot - not to mention your killer knowledge on watches!

Ever so slightly jealous of your achievements....and your gen watches!!

Rokerite

There is the answer to all those "have you ever been called out" posts. This gentleman has only been in possession of genuine Rolex previously and is impressed by the quality of modern replicas.Says it all really.

Diver Dave

There is the answer to all those "have you ever been called out" posts. This gentleman has only been in possession of genuine Rolex previously and is impressed by the quality of modern replicas.Says it all really.

Truly.

And this surprised me, being a bit of a watch guy. Truthfully I expected a POS that would be tossed into a display of my antique diving equipment (I have one of the French Navy re-breathers that the watch would be contemporaneous to), and figured that I'd wear it on my boat "until the worthless thing self destructed after which I would toss it overboard".

What I found is a quality timepiece, that even "without prior knowledge of what it's a copy of" would have impressed me ab-initio. It's proven waterproof by test, is deadly accurate (none of my Gens run as well on the Timegrapher), and >sigh<... I'm impressed.

And this is a mid-level rep?

Holy cow.

Dave

Diver Dave

Interesting life you have had!

Don't tell me you even managed to find a stable woman or a family, because I'll kill my self... :)

You've my envy.

Hmm.... Well.... Like watches:

Just because you are in love with one doesn't mean you should hate the rest...

:boobies:

. :giggle:

Aquanautilus

Hats off to you sir!

From the deep ground of the sea to high above the clouds...I really enjoyed reading your life-story and seeing your well worn watches.

Also your background-info on why you are wearing the Tudor an an elastic strap is highly appreciated

Thank you for sharing this with us!

porschespeedster

you got a good one!

I find that even with low and mid-grade reps, one out of five or so will just be an amazing watch.

I'm wearing an IWC rep as we speak that maybe loses 3-10 seconds a week, prob depending more on things like weather, temperature, and wear frequency than anything else.

The thing cost me $100, and like you say in a certain respect is much better than most gens.

Thats also another advantage of the TD process, they're sort of like the 'rep QC department' and can sometimes even regulate and tweak your watch to dial it in.

Of course, you may also get a DOA at some point, or maybe you'll get a watch that will last only a few months.

Part of the game, and it sounds like you're already like most of us, with tools and a tinkerer's mind.

Both of those things can sometimes solve the above problems (or sometimes make it worse!)

Welcome to RWG, we're glad to have you.

Diver Dave

you got a good one!

I find that even with low and mid-grade reps, one out of five or so will just be an amazing watch.

I'm wearing an IWC rep as we speak that maybe loses 3-10 seconds a week, prob depending more on things like weather, temperature, and wear frequency than anything else.

The thing cost me $100, and like you say in a certain respect is much better than most gens.

Thats also another advantage of the TD process, they're sort of like the 'rep QC department' and can sometimes even regulate and tweak your watch to dial it in.

Of course, you may also get a DOA at some point, or maybe you'll get a watch that will last only a few months.

Part of the game, and it sounds like you're already like most of us, with tools and a tinkerer's mind.

Both of those things can sometimes solve the above problems (or sometimes make it worse!)

Welcome to RWG, we're glad to have you.

Thanks Mate.

Reps are sort of like owning a Beck as opposed to a 550 Spyder, eh? ;-)

(Porsche reference for non-Bathtub types)

Dave

(1964 356 and an ancient old 2.7 litre 911RS in the garage)

Edited by Diver Dave