Trap Door

Explorer 1 observation

c1181427

Hello everyone. This is my first post on rwg although I've been registered for a few years... I take advantage of this thread to ask who makes the best Explorer I rep?

I'm after 2 reps at the moment, a Rolex Sub with ceramic insert for which Noob v7 seems the way to go and the Explorer but have not done enough research to establish who makes the best rep and how accurate it is. Appreciate any help! Thanks

Edited by c1181427

GT86

Hello everyone. This is my first post on rwg although I've been registered for a few years... I take advantage of this thread to ask who makes the best Explorer I rep?

I'm after 2 reps at the moment, a Rolex Sub with ceramic insert for which Noob v7 seems the way to go and the Explorer but have not done enough research to establish who makes the best rep and how accurate it is. Appreciate any help! Thanks

I think you'll find the JF V2 is regarded as the 'best' available, I have one on the way so will update this thread with pics on arrival.

Oh and welcome :thumbsup2:

<RJ>
:popcorn:

c1181427
Hello everyone. This is my first post on rwg although I've been registered for a few years... I take advantage of this thread to ask who makes the best Explorer I rep? I'm after 2 reps at the moment, a Rolex Sub with ceramic insert for which Noob v7 seems the way to go and the Explorer but have not done enough research to establish who makes the best rep and how accurate it is. Appreciate any help! Thanks
I think you'll find the JF V2 is regarded as the 'best' available, I have one on the way so will update this thread with pics on arrival. Oh and welcome :thumbsup2:

That's excellent, thanks a lot for the advice!!...and for the welcome :)

Edited by c1181427

qwaz

I have seen several Explorer Gens in the wild. I have coveted them from a far. I finally bought a mediocre rep the other day. I am underwhelmed and its not the quality of the Rep I think the watch is blah. I am really glad I waded in with a rep before buying Gen. Defiinitely saved me from myself.

I tried an explorer 1 on at an AD a few days ago and to me it really didn't feel any better than my hamilton khaki auto I wear regularly. I had been thinking of getting a gen at some point but after trying it I felt kind of similar. I'll probably just stick with the hamilton and spend my money on something else. More reps perhaps? lol

peterpl

Many people feel the same way including myself. I tried one on at the AD. Lets just say its not worth anywhere near the asking price.

Rather save a little more for a Sub or a GMT2

qwaz

Rather save a little more for a Sub or a GMT2

Exactly what I was thinking. Probably just get a rep 1675 and modding it and a bk no-date sub and just see how they feel. Later down the line save up for a used sub or gmt.

GT86
Hello everyone. This is my first post on rwg although I've been registered for a few years... I take advantage of this thread to ask who makes the best Explorer I rep? I'm after 2 reps at the moment, a Rolex Sub with ceramic insert for which Noob v7 seems the way to go and the Explorer but have not done enough research to establish who makes the best rep and how accurate it is. Appreciate any help! Thanks
I think you'll find the JF V2 is regarded as the 'best' available, I have one on the way so will update this thread with pics on arrival. Oh and welcome :thumbsup2:

That's excellent, thanks a lot for the advice!!...and for the welcome :)

No problem. As promised a shot of mine that arrived yesterday....

AEE6CEA9-A274-41E8-96E2-C58E6BDC7E2D_zpsbjdfinst.jpg

Hinclimincli
Lets just say its not worth anywhere near the asking price.

With all due respect sir, you clearly have no idea of what you are talking about. A Rolex Explorer is a legendary watch that to many watch aficionados distinguishes the mainstream guy (that only knows about subs and gmts) of a person that likes Rolex as a brand and knows each model's story.

Not trying to argue, it's just an opinion and it's as valid as any other. It's just that is a very uncommon opinion amongst watch lovers.

Diver Dave

I tried an explorer 1 on at an AD a few days ago and to me it really didn't feel any better than my hamilton khaki auto I wear regularly.

Why would it? It's *just* a watch.

The difference will only be seen in the long term, and when using it for the long term under hostile conditions. And also at resale at the end of your lifetime of use.

My guess is that among todays buyers of Gen Rolex that only about one in a thousand actually USE them. Desk-Jockeys don't count. Nobody wore out any watch pushing paper across a desk.

The reputation of Rolex was established when the MAJORITY of buyers USED them. Soldiers, Pilots, Divers, and Explorers of all sorts. Ever wonder why Hong Kong traditionally had the highest per capita ownership of Rolex watches (1930's thru 1960's)? It was because nothing else lasted in the unbelievable humidly and Rolex waterproof watches did, when the average watch had a snap-back and rusted to shit after a few years. So the average successful man bought a Rolex because it worked. he could have given two shits about "prestige". Same when I bought mine, which might have been at the end of the "most of them are bought as tools" era. When you went offshore as a diver you took a few things with you as tools that were just expected. A Buck 110 Folding Hunter knife on your belt. Bausch & Lomb sunglasses. A Nikon camera. A Rolex watch. Not because of "prestige" (there's fuck-all "prestige" on an oil rig), but because these things work reliably and do so when you can't pop down to the store to replace it.

If your lifestyle is met by wearing a Hamilton, then wear it. 99.999% of people need nothing more.

For some it's not good enough. One in a thousand Rolex buyers these days by my reckoning.

I guess I forget, when you showed up in Central America as a pilot you added a Colt 1911 in .38 Super to the knife, sunglasses, watch, and camera as part of the "You don't you have a xxxx?" kit-o-shit.

.45's don't punch thru a car door as well as a .38 Super. Trust me on this one.

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

MetalMickey

I'll believe anything Diver Dave tells me, Dave: you're a legend!

Diver Dave

Shit I hope not....

This entire thing reminds me of a song sung by Dos Gringos, who are USAF pilots who sing about flying fighters. Bit of a legend among pilots. In any case they sing about a terrible whiskey (Jeremiah Weed) that in itself is a bit of a famous thing among fighter pilots (google it). The song "Jeremiah Weed" has the lyrics:

"Everyone is curious, they all want to know,

Does it make you smarter, will it make your penis grow?

Well it won't bring you women, and it won't bring you luck,

So why do we drink it, 'cause it tastes like fuck..."

Same with watches.... They don't make ya smarter, get ya a better girl, or make shitty whiskey taste better.

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

MetalMickey
:lmao2:

Hinclimincli

They don't make ya smarter, get ya a better girl, or make shitty whiskey taste better.

Well, shitty whiskey only tastes better if you had *more shitty whiskey before that last sip!

porschespeedster

I think it may also have to do with age and brand perception.

I was born in the 80s + raised in the 90s' - oughts.

For me, a new Submariner is a gauche, new-money accessory. It's never been anything else.

I wasn't alive when the 'diving craze' was big, nor was I alive when real adventurers wore Rolex.

You *are* alive when real adventurers wear Rolex. It's just that we're all old farts now.

Come to an Explorers Club function sometime in NYC (I'll bring you as a guest).

You'll see more old Rolex watches than you can count. On guys who have climbed the seven summits, walked across Greenland, etc etc. The real-deal Explorers still count on them as tools.

Come out on a serious diving expedition, to someplace like wreck diving the Andrea Doria, Brittanic, or USS Monitor.You'll see Subs by the score.

To me, my snobbishness (which I gladly admit to) is that if you're wearing an acrylic crystal Sub you're my experience-peer and if you're wearing sapphire you're a newbie. So yes, your average desk-diver with his gauche Submariner is something to be smiled at and patted on the head... even more so the Deep Sea, which is (A) Ugly as shit (who wants Rolex advertising engraved on the rehaut?), and only applicable as a tool to about 100 people worldwide.

:suck:

It's all a matter of where you hang your hat, I guess.

Dave

Respect.

I come from a world where no one wears watches (music industry/DJ/nightclub) and no one really cares about them.

Worked in a national park out west and I've done a fair amount of high-altitude mountaineering and glacier travel.

All of my climbing homies either wore Suuntos, G-Shocks, or Timex Explorers if they wore a watch at all.

Now, where I see Rolex is in big cities. NYC, London, Paris.

Easily the place I've seen more of them than anywhere else is Las Vegas.

It's funny, before learning about reps I would have never considered wearing one, now I dig 'em.

Cool to hear old heads are still into them.

I kind of see it the same as how North Face or Canada Goose gear is popular with a certain group of people...

most of 'em have never handled an ice ax, much less understand what that loop on the back of their backpack is there for....

Diver Dave

I kind of see it the same as how North Face or Canada Goose gear is popular with a certain group of people...

most of 'em have never handled an ice ax, much less understand what that loop on the back of their backpack is there for....

Funny... the current issue coat in Antarctica for the US Antarctic Program is a red parka from Canada Goose. The guys like me who have been there laugh our asses off when we see the same coat (albeit not red, which color is reserved for official issue) being worn in Manhattan....

Isn't the loop on the backpack for hanging your keys? :giggle:

Numpties are everywhere. I think you call them "Noobs" here. In diving we call them Numpties, and in aviation a "Lombard" (lots of money but a real dickhead)

Sigh...

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

Thrasher

My Space Dweller with JMB case and inspired by NCRich will be done soon. In the mean time I settle for this.

_MG_0787.jpg

JSebwc

I was of similar mind....was never a fan of the exp 1...thought it was too plain and dated....but now I own 2 exp 1 and and 1655 exp II

Along with a gmt master its funny how your tastes change and evolve. when I recelently got back into watches about 4 years ago...it was all about the chronos. now the simpler the better for me.

Moondustesp
07D37A14-C4A9-4687-BE42-F64C69F9A28F.jpg Can I change your mind? ;)

FL13

I need that bracelet. Where did you source it!?

FL13

Doesnt have any Rivet bracelets at the link. :(

Moondustesp

Contact him through the website he will be to get you one

shannonflynn

1675 is my cup a tea..just like 'em.