Sign in to follow this  
rikracy

"Serial" watch seller syndrome!

rikracy

Hello Chaps

Something I'd like to share with you all!

I was in discussion with the 'wife' and the topic of "why do I buy/sell so many watches" popped up!

Of course, I defended my corner with the retort....." it's like your shoes/ handbags " ...we all know this scenario! Lol!

Anyway, this got me thinking!....maybe she might have a point?

I've always, for as long as I remember, had a liking of watches...I can even remember my first ever watch......an apparently in distructable "Timex" given to me on my 8th birthday....i thought it was the 'dogs bollocks' !! Lol!

I've had the usual Seiko's, Citzen's and the odd Tag here and there but nothing 'high end'....then "shock and horror" I discovered Rep's!.....a trip to Thailand about 10 or so years ago.

I picked up a Sub and GMT Rolex, at the time they were great but knowing what I know now...they were desperately "BAD"!....still got the GMT and still runs!

One thing lead to another and 18 months ago I found this wonderful place......and ofcourse TD's and M2M....I was like a 'kid in a candy store' I was off!!....way too many temptations!

Order this, buying that like a man possessed and in about 5 months I'd accumulated 40 watches just as I liked the look of them and no consideration to how they wear/ suit me........it was getting out of control!

And expensive too!

So, I had a cull...which took my collection down to about 20.....but these soon got replaced with others and on it went!

I made a deal with myself....if I buy a new one I'd sell one off.....one in one out rule!

Like that was gonna last!

Now, 18 months on my collection is down to 5 reps...yes only 5! My " Grails"!

I now find myself in a "strange" place!....I spot a watch, buy it cos I like the look of it... find out it's not for me!....then it's put up for sale!....the "churn"

In the time I've been here I've sold approx 80-90 watches....i find that a little scary!

I even contacted Greg the boss to see if he could check his records to confirm....but no.

I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering this 'syndrome' ?

I love this hobby / addiction! ????

Mr_B

I do this too, I tend to buy a few to se if I like them enough to keep them, if there is something I don't get on with il sell it

Thommo82

Am only new to this hobby, 4 watches deep

However I don't believe I could ever get rid of one unless I was replacing it with a better version

I can see I will have a stupendous watch collection one day

I look forward to the future

BM284

That's a great share - tis good therapy to let it all out ;) I have to say WOW 90 watches sold!! And you are down to 5 now? That is good going :)

I have to agree with you mate - it's a fantastic hobby....nope addiction! :giggle:

GT86

Totally understand where your coming from. I have been on a similar journey, and there's no substitution for wearing a variety of watches to discern what truly suits / and floats the boat! So long as your net cash loss doesn't cause financial ruin of course ;)

One tip that might help others approaching RickRacy's level is to sell to friends. I buy reps for friends and family, and have also sold some of my reps privately to friends. I truly enjoy seeing them worn, it kind of feels like an extension of my collection, not to mention spreading my disease so that I don't feel uniquely ridiculous! :thumbsup2:

rikracy

Update....I've also sold a least 20 "Gens" on eBay......crazy hobby!

How deep does this " rabbit hole " go?

Anyway, I'm just off to place another order!

TheSav

I know exactly how you feel. I've been through 90-100 reps myself and about 50-60 gens. Its easily done. Part of the fun is trying something out or simply just enjoying it for a while before moving it on.

Luckily for me my wife understands. Only down side is she won't allow me to sell the ones she likes to wear.

greg_r

I've tried to cut down. I really have. I sold a few, gave away a few, donated a few for VIP prizes. Doesn't seem to make any difference - can't seem to get below 40. On the rare occasion the total drops, I seem to find myself buying something else... :coke:

rikracy

My missus just doesn't get this 'rep' game.......say's she who swans around with a 3k Omega on her wrist! Forced to buy her last xmas!

Costs me 'dear' this game!

Lol!

RussP

THAT's exactly why I don't have a missus anymore.

No problem having to convince a non-believer

Bidle

Most of the time I really think about a purchase. Sometimes I do come across a nice watch and buy it instantly. Almost never sell any of them, which is kind of a problem. Only in a couple of cases were I just didn't like the watch. Most of the time when I wasn't able to see it in real life.

Now at the point were I've just too many and going to start to sell a bunch of them.

rikracy

Greg...how often does that come up o M2M?

Lol!

rikracy

RussP.....my first one stole my house!.....Lol!

So, given the choice....I don't mind stumping up for a 3k Omega if it keeps 'things' sweet!

Lol!

RussP

RussP.....my first one stole my house!.....Lol!

So, given the choice....I don't mind stumping up for a 3k Omega if it keeps 'things' sweet!

Lol!

Dude,

Mine didn't stop with just the house.

She took everything within it, a substantial chunk of my superannuation, all the jewelry that I gave her over the 32-year relationship.

Then screwed me for 60% of my nett wage (for 3 years) for child support.

It's a f#cking miracle that I can still laugh about it.

rikracy

Ouch mate!...I feel you pain!

Mine was a little more compassionate......she let me have my clothes!!

Lol!

Del

@ rikracy - I have no idea what you're talking about.... :Whistle:

:D

Rokerite

Men are women's playthings, women are the devil's ...

rikracy

And we all end up @ RWG! Lol!

RUSH2112

Can't imagine owning 40 watches. Soon as I get to 10-12 it's too much.

funkylemon

@rikracy but whats wrong with changing your watches often?

k2efy

would like to know what 5 you settled on

splke

he hasn't yet ;)

preppyr6

Yeah I can totally relate..except I havent hit the cull phase yet...I just keep buying more watch boxes! Its definitely an observed addiction.

rikracy

Spike...nailed right on the head buddy!

Lol!

Lagger
Can't imagine owning 40 watches. Soon as I get to 10-12 it's too much.

With you here, I'm at 11 at the minute, soon to be twelve, and a 10 slot watch box!

I have possibly been through about 50 watches to get here, and I'd say 2 of my collection are folly that will bite the dust......I remember having 15 watches and looking thinking, that's a ridiculous amount!