Sign in to follow this  
epalanb

What are sellers afraid of on m2m sales

fatarms

That's the dumbest thing I've seen in 5 yrs here. I'm completely serious. Posting QC pics on TRF? :lol: Goddammmmn!

epalanb
I've always ignored the sales terms on the basis they are meant to cover tossers. I've been here long enough to have seen plenty of tossers. Even when I was a noob, a simple and polite PM nearly always resulted in a simple and polite reply. Fast payment and fast shipping of an honestly-described watch has nearly always been the result. There have been a few exceptions but very few and nobody died as a result. The kindness and help offered has vastly outweighed the negatives. If you don't like the playful Ts and Cs, I suggest fucking off would be a good option. This is RWG and it's why we like it.

lol, ok

you got me though. what are T's and C's?

Terms and conditions. Fucking noob. :giggle:

thanks douche :giggle:

Edited by epalanb

Thelittleprince

Its easier to put disclaimers rather than being rude to someone you don't wanna sell to and telling them to f off. Theres some noobs here that will expect "The Best Sub" and they will do anything to get their money if you catch my drift

This is very pointless tbh. You don't like someones terms then move on to the next. No one is forcing you to buy anything from anyone, also terms that are stated in the OPs post seem very understanding.... Why the heck would i sell my stuff to someone i don't want too :lol:

Bash64

Paypal always seems to support the buyer much more than the seller. So... if a new forum member buys a watch on M2M, receives it then chooses to make a paypal claim for receiving a fake watch, the seller can kiss the watch and his money goodbye.

For an established member with many successful purchases and sales, noob buyers are the biggest risk here.

Though I also claim no obligations after I've shipped the watch, I've also paid for a repair when a watch I sold arrived DOA. I trusted the guy when he explained the problem and still have no reason to believe he was not being truthful. On the other hand many newbies have been unpredictable. Everyone of our TD's has had their paypal account suspended (some many times) as a result of new members taking action that they previously agreed they would not do.

Most established members have earned the group's trust.

Mazz
gotta admit. funny stuff.....

Nothing funny about it, its the perfect example of why people are scared of selling on m2m

Thelittleprince
gotta admit. funny stuff.....

Nothing funny about it, its the perfect example of why people are scared of selling on m2m

+1 Million

cpa5oh

If you put that 'go fly a kite if you aren't happy and if it doesn't arrive tough break' disclaimer in your ad and you aren't selling at a substantial discount from brand new from a TD you are a jackass and whoever buys the item is a fool (and really, the buyer ultimately sets the price, so more of the onus is on the buyer). In that situation, both buyer and seller deserve to deal with frozen Paypal accounts and all other kinds of mess. If you don't want the responsibilities you expect of a TD the price should reflect that; if you want a seller to take on the responsibilities of a TD don't buy from a non-TD seller.

(My personal rule, which admittedly is probably ridiculous, is to base the price of anything I sell at 50% of what I paid for it. And if I buy from a non-dealer I factor in everything (price, otherwise availability) and then if I get screwed (never really have), other than letting the issue be known to whatever community that seller is in, I accept the consequences.)

Goes without saying that seller gets to choose who he sells to - no one will ever know what order their contact reached you in. Putting something in the ad that explains this is just proof that the seller is a prick.

Edited by cpa5oh

black263

You're going to have an easy time selling here if all you want is 50% of what you paid. Are you really saying that if you buy a pre-owned gen Rolex For £6000 you'd happily sell it a short while later for £3000. I think not.

cpa5oh

You're going to have an easy time selling here if all you want is 50% of what you paid. Are you really saying that if you buy a pre-owned gen Rolex For £6000 you'd happily sell it a short while later for £3000. I think not.

I wasn't talking about a $6K genuine watch (also wasn't suggesting that the 50% rule is even reasonable - it's just what I do because I neither want to put the time in for a lengthy sales process nor do I want to be held to the standard of a dealer). If I were selling a $6K genuine watch I'd take it to a jeweler and make sure it was running perfectly. I'd send it with gobs of insurance. I wouldn't sell it for $3K, but it would be significantly less than what it could otherwise be had for in same condition.

NCRich

If you put that 'go fly a kite if you aren't happy and if it doesn't arrive tough break' disclaimer in your ad and you aren't selling at a substantial discount from brand new from a TD you are a jackass and whoever buys the item is a fool (and really, the buyer ultimately sets the price, so more of the onus is on the buyer). In that situation, both buyer and seller deserve to deal with frozen Paypal accounts and all other kinds of mess. If you don't want the responsibilities you expect of a TD the price should reflect that; if you want a seller to take on the responsibilities of a TD don't buy from a non-TD seller.

(My personal rule, which admittedly is probably ridiculous, is to base the price of anything I sell at 50% of what I paid for it. And if I buy from a non-dealer I factor in everything (price, otherwise availability) and then if I get screwed (never really have), other than letting the issue be known to whatever community that seller is in, I accept the consequences.)

Goes without saying that seller gets to choose who he sells to - no one will ever know what order their contact reached you in. Putting something in the ad that explains this is just proof that the seller is a prick.

But your sales here are theoretical. Few want to C&R a $500 rep for $250. And they should not.

narikaa

Theres always a differential between prestigious goods and consumer items

Jewellery/ cars/ high end watches etc all have a known and accepted scale of secondhand values

All else I concur that the routinely accepted equation I always grew up with was, if it's secondhand 50% of shop price, if its stolen 30% of shop price.

epalanb

I wasn't talking about a $6K genuine watch (also wasn't suggesting that the 50% rule is even reasonable - it's just what I do because I neither want to put the time in for a lengthy sales process nor do I want to be held to the standard of a dealer). If I were selling a $6K genuine watch I'd take it to a jeweler and make sure it was running perfectly. I'd send it with gobs of insurance. I wouldn't sell it for $3K, but it would be significantly less than what it could otherwise be had for in same condition.

See, different people have different levels of motivation for all sorts of reasons. This guy just wants to be done with it and doesn't want someone thinking they are getting (and paying for) something that is like NIB.

Others have told me something to the effect of "You have no idea how broke I am and I really need to get at least 95% of what I paid for this beautiful gem from Switzerland, er I mean china"

I know that for most pieces if it is in good shape you can get more than 50%. I do think expecting someone to buy a used piece, especially if it has to go through customs, without a substantial discount is unreasonable.

epalanb

Jewellery/ cars/ high end watches etc all have a known and accepted scale of secondhand values

All else I concur that the routinely accepted equation I always grew up with was, if it's secondhand 50% of shop price, if its stolen 30% of shop price.

Interesting....

Now that I think about it, I would agree with this.

cpa5oh

But your sales here are theoretical. Few want to C&R a $500 rep for $250. And they should not.

I don't think 50% is a rule that should apply to anyone else - it's just what I do to try and stay above any problems that could soak up my time. My sales HERE are theoretical, however, everything I've sold for as long as I can remember has followed the 50% rule (firearms, shop equipment).

cpa5oh
See, different people have different levels of motivation for all sorts of reasons. This guy just wants to be done with it and doesn't want someone thinking they are getting (and paying for) something that is like NIB.

Others have told me something to the effect of "You have no idea how broke I am and I really need to get at least 95% of what I paid for this beautiful gem from Switzerland, er I mean china"

I know that for most pieces if it is in good shape you can get more than 50%. I do think expecting someone to buy a used piece, especially if it has to go through customs, without a substantial discount is unreasonable.

Yep.

And on a similar note - there is MUCH wrong if someone NEEDS to get 95% of what they paid for a rep watch: if a couple of hundred bucks is a dire situation the last thing that person should be doing is collecting watches and the poser-factor is enormous when a few hundred bucks is critical and they're wearing a replica of a $5K watch.

Mike on a bike

Sorry reps do not go for 50% of the new price, less than new of course but not 50 keep dreaming.

epalanb guys are just scaring the noobs away and for good reason, you have no idea how many brain dead simpletons wind up in my PM box w/ problems.

cpa5oh

You thought this through better than I did!

cpa5oh

Sorry reps do not go for 50% of the new price, less than new of course but not 50 keep dreaming.

Learn how to read/understand what you read.

Mike on a bike

"I don't think 50% is a rule that should apply to anyone else - it's just what I do to try and stay above any problems that could soak up my time. My sales HERE are theoretical, however, everything I've sold for as long as I can remember has followed the 50% rule (firearms, shop equipment)."

You forgot that these are illegal goods that got by customs so not "shop equipment" let me ask you how much do illegal guns go for w/ no way to trace back to you , go get those for half price.

Mike on a bike

Maybe I miss understood you but you better watch your step noob.

cpa5oh

"I don't think 50% is a rule that should apply to anyone else - it's just what I do to try and stay above any problems that could soak up my time. My sales HERE are theoretical, however, everything I've sold for as long as I can remember has followed the 50% rule (firearms, shop equipment)."

You forgot that these are illegal goods that got by customs so not "shop equipment" let me ask you how much do illegal guns go for w/ no way to trace back to you , go get those for half price.

Stupid argument - selling/buying illegal guns gets you jail-time and neither you nor I have been witness to someone pulling up with a trunk full of de-serialized guns to know what they sell for.

cpa5oh

Just learn how to read and drop the "keep dreaming" attitude stuff and nobody will point out that you sparked off without understanding what you read.

Edited by cpa5oh

jdog

Just learn how to read and drop the "keep dreaming" attitude stuff and nobody will point out that you sparked off without understanding what you read.

Everyones entitled to their opinion, but members who have been around longer than you and know a bit more about this thing of our need to be treated with a bit more respect. That being said, I agree with MOAB, if you think 50% is what a sale on a used rep should be, maybe you're better off sticking with what you know.

cpa5oh
Everyones entitled to their opinion, but members who have been around longer than you and know a bit more about this thing of our need to be treated with a bit more respect. That being said, I agree with MOAB, if you think 50% is what a sale on a used rep should be, maybe you're better off sticking with what you know.

For the last time - I said multiple times that 50% is my general rule for myself. Even said I thought it was kind of ridiculous. I know it's underpricing things - that's the point/reason why it's my rule for myself: to be done with it with any reasonable buyer expectations exceeded. It is the opposite of, and better alternative to, pricing things near full price while disclaiming any responsibility related to the sale, though. Somewhere in the middle would be reasonable.