Sign in to follow this  
epalanb

What are sellers afraid of on m2m sales

jdog
Everyones entitled to their opinion, but members who have been around longer than you and know a bit more about this thing of our need to be treated with a bit more respect. That being said, I agree with MOAB, if you think 50% is what a sale on a used rep should be, maybe you're better off sticking with what you know.

For the last time - I said multiple times that 50% is my general rule for myself. Even said I thought it was kind of ridiculous. I know it's underpricing things - that's the point/reason why it's my rule for myself: to be done with it with any reasonable buyer expectations exceeded. It is the opposite of, and better alternative to, pricing things near full price while disclaiming any responsibility related to the sale, though. Somewhere in the middle would be reasonable.

You say for yourself, Im curious what that means. You only intend to pay 50% for a used rep, or you would sell your own watch for 50% of what you paid. As I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion etc, but people need to know that though these are reps, they have value to people in this hobby. And it can go the other way with an expel in M2M right now. A rep that originally sold for $300 or so being sold for significantly more than that. And there NOTHING wrong as it is a rare and very sought out watch and as with many things in life, supply and demand will dictate price.

Mike on a bike

"Stupid argument - selling/buying illegal guns gets you jail-time and neither you nor I have been witness to someone pulling up with a trunk full of de-serialized guns to know what they sell for."

Maybe your not from the USA so I guess not.

Do you realize the dealer we buy from face time in jail in China, not a great place to wind up in the cooler. That along with them fighting among themselves, they aren't a bunch of boy scouts over there.

And let me get this straight what did I read wrong are you or are you not postulating that like other things you have dealt w/ in life reps should go about 50% of new second hand?

rusty peters

Sorry reps do not go for 50% of the new price, less than new of course but not 50 keep dreaming.

Learn how to read/understand what you read.

Maybe I miss understood you but you better watch your step noob.

Just learn how to read and drop the "keep dreaming" attitude stuff and nobody will point out that you sparked off without understanding what you read.

If you were hoping the M2M sellers on this forum would relax their T&Cs for you after this thread.....you are doing it wrong.

epalanb

(My personal rule, which admittedly is probably ridiculous, is to base the price of anything I sell at 50% of what I paid for it. And if I buy from a non-dealer I factor in everything (price, otherwise availability) and then if I get screwed (never really have), other than letting the issue be known to whatever community that seller is in, I accept the consequences.)........

Are you guys reading this whole thing wrong? I am almost 100% sure everyone is getting all bent for no reason. This guy cpa5oh says he is a willing SELLER at 50% NOT trying to buy at 50% & everyone is thinking he is saying that he should be able to buy @ 50% of new. Why would anyone have a problem with him selling at 50% of new?

black263

Let's look at a scenario. You buy a watch from a dealer for $300 You send money which costs in transaction fees. You pay maybe $40 or so shipping. You wait three weeks and eventually it gets to you. Having tried it on, You decide it's just too big for your wrist. So you put it up for sale. The buyer now has the chance of a watch that has only been worn for an hour or so. It's in country so the buyer can get it tomorrow, express, no exchange rates and no risk of customs seizures. What's it worth to a buyer? Are you still planning to sell for 50%?

cpa5oh

(My personal rule, which admittedly is probably ridiculous, is to base the price of anything I sell at 50% of what I paid for it. And if I buy from a non-dealer I factor in everything (price, otherwise availability) and then if I get screwed (never really have), other than letting the issue be known to whatever community that seller is in, I accept the consequences.)........

Are you guys reading this whole thing wrong? I am almost 100% sure everyone is getting all bent for no reason. This guy cpa5oh says he is a willing SELLER at 50% NOT trying to buy at 50% & everyone is thinking he is saying that he should be able to buy @ 50% of new. Why would anyone have a problem with him selling at 50% of new?

EXACTLY. Thank you for this post.

Less than a month ago I DID buy a rep off the boards in an M2M deal and I paid way more than 50% and I didn't say anything other than "thank you" when the item arrived.

black263

Less than a month ago I DID buy a rep off the boards in an M2M deal and I paid way more than 50% and I didn't say anything other than "thank you" when the item arrived.

That's because you accepted that as the fair value of the watch. If you were to resell it, would you really only be looking for half what you paid? If so, put me on your mailing list. :suck:

And if that really was the generally accepted ratio, the $300 watch after being resold three times, and perhaps less than a year old should be going for $37.50. (Before you say that's unrealistic, I've seen watches go through the sales process that number of times in a year.)

cpa5oh

Let's look at a scenario. You buy a watch from a dealer for $300 You send money which costs in transaction fees. You pay maybe $40 or so shipping. You wait three weeks and eventually it gets to you. Having tried it on, You decide it's just too big for your wrist. So you put it up for sale. The buyer now has the chance of a watch that has only been worn for an hour or so. It's in country so the buyer can get it tomorrow, express, no exchange rates and no risk of customs seizures. What's it worth to a buyer? Are you still planning to sell for 50%?

Yes. And I don't expect anyone else to do the same - as I've said multiple times. And when I bought a rep in an M2M deal I paid what the seller asked for and didn't complain. But he also didn't give me a "go fly a kite if the item doesn't arrive or you have a problem attitude" before the purchase, which was the main thrust of my first post in this thread (that I thought anyone who throws up a big disclaimer or any responsibility but wants near full price is a jackass and anyone who would buy under that scenario - which is where the onus mainly lies - a fool).

deju

:popcorn:

narikaa

Brings to mind a parable I heard years ago

about a crowded room in total darkness

someone shouts 'SNAKE'

panic ensues

much screaming and clawing at walls etc

someone eventually declares 'its just rope'

who hears him?

epalanb

And on a similar note - there is MUCH wrong if someone NEEDS to get 95% of what they paid for a rep watch: if a couple of hundred bucks is a dire situation the last thing that person should be doing is collecting watches and the poser-factor is enormous when a few hundred bucks is critical and they're wearing a replica of a $5K watch.

Couldn't agree more...

Recently I had a seller tell me this: and I quote.....

"I've just lost my job recently and my wife is unemployed too, because she has cancer and can't work. So I have a problem,as you can see, therefore I have to sell most of the things that are very dear to me and that includes my watches, reps and gens...............................

The watch is brand new, I have only tried it on. I live in a non smoker household and I wash my hands all the time, especially when I handle my watches, so there are no stains, DNA or funny smells on the watch. I'm OCD and my watches have no marks or scratches, none whatsoever.

I'm already taking a piss here and your offer kinda feels like a kick in the balls, considering the circumstances.".................

Hey buddy, if you want to hold out for more, more power to you, but if you expect me to pay 95% of brand new for a watch that you are selling on m2m you are delusional. Even more so if it has to clear customs. There is clear risk to the buyer in m2m including customs seizure and seller risk etc & that comes at a price. If your rational is that you need to get 95% because you are broke, well that my friend is on you, not on me.....

cpa5oh

That's because you accepted that as the fair value of the watch. If you were to resell it, would you really only be looking for half what you paid? If so, put me on your mailing list. :suck:

And if that really was the generally accepted ratio, the $300 watch after being resold three times, and perhaps less than a year old should be going for $37.50. (Before you say that's unrealistic, I've seen watches go through the sales process that number of times in a year.)

I'm not going to go beyond this post with you on this. I have my own reasons for the 50% rule and do not expect others to follow it. I do, however, despise it when someone disclaims all responsibility and then wants near full price...I just think that's inappropriate and I'm pretty sure that's the same guy that'd be done drinking when it came time for him to buy the next round of drinks. And the person who buys near full price with the disclaimed responsibility is a damned fool.

The 50% is a one-time, "I'm not a dealer and would rather lose a few bucks than deal with any hassle" discount :-) If I've got something that's depreciated into a piece of junk it goes into the garbage, not in a sale. Example of how this works:

- I had a very nice competition pistol that was purchased for about $1800. I shot it in competition for a year. When I switched to another division I listed it for sale for $900, took lots of pictures. I got 100 emails. The first one that looked like a no-hassle, "I know-it's-a-great-deal" buyer got his email returned and the gun was on its way to him that day. I then took the hours that I'd have wasted responding to clowns asking for more pictures or whether they could try it first and spent it either working (earning money) or relaxing - which is more valuable time than the time spent working in some cases.

- The reverse: friend of mine had a gun that cost $3K brand new. He got out of the shooting sport so he wanted to sell. I asked how much and he said $2750 - I saw him shoot the f'ing thing for a year: hard, competition speed rounds. And I know for a fact he, himself, is a bargain hunter. Haven't had reason to hang out with the guy again but if I ever got stuck at dinner with him our bills would be separate (on principle).

cpa5oh

I take that back - I'd let our dinners be on the same bill and when he tried to beat me out of a few bucks I'd call him on it in front of everyone present. :-)

cpa5oh
Couldn't agree more...

"I've just lost my job recently and my wife is unemployed too, because she has cancer and can't work. So I have a problem,as you can see, therefore I have to sell most of the things that are very dear to me and that includes my watches, reps and gens...............................

The watch is brand new, I have only tried it on. I live in a non smoker household and I wash my hands all the time, especially when I handle my watches, so there are no stains, DNA or funny smells on the watch. I'm OCD and my watches have no marks or scratches, none whatsoever.

I'm already taking a piss here and your offer kinda feels like a kick in the balls, considering the circumstances.".................

Hey buddy, if you want to hold out for more, more power to you, but if you expect me to pay 95% of brand new for a watch that you are selling on m2m you are delusional. Even more so if it has to clear customs. There is clear risk to the buyer in m2m including customs seizure and seller risk etc & that comes at a price. If your rational is that you need to get 95% because you are broke, well that my friend is on you, not on me.....

Haha - you should've told him you're "taking a piss" and feel kicked in the balls, too, every time you get half your paycheck stolen to pay for his existence. Or asked him why, when he was working, he didn't save $.01 so he'd never be in a situation where he'd be forced, as soon as he lost his job, to recoup 95% of his investment in fake watches :-)

epalanb

Haha - you should've told him you're "taking a piss" and feel kicked in the balls, too, every time you get half your paycheck stolen to pay for his existence. Or asked him why, when he was working, he didn't save $.01 so he'd never be in a situation where he'd be forced, as soon as he lost his job, to recoup 95% of his investment in fake watches :-)

lol

MetalMickey

Fucking hell, you lot like a bit of drama today don't you?

Moondustesp

This post still goin wtf ???

greg_r

Hey, we haven't had a good handbagging in, oh, days! :D

cpa5oh

This post still goin wtf ???

It made it all this way without you!

MetalMickey

Hey, we haven't had a good gulagging in, oh, days! :D

Fixed it for you

Mike on a bike
Couldn't agree more...

Would have paid him what he wanted if I liked it to help out and you know I most likely would have gotten a bunch of the guys together to help out if I knew him from posting. We have done a couple of these this year related to tragic deaths as a matter of fact. We do not sell our watches @ 50% of cost but we are not pricks.

Mike on a bike

PS My board is smaller we know each for the most part for years so different.

Kleen™

By the looks of it, I'm the guilty party.

I would say, that my disclaimer is meant to be slightly tongue in cheek and in no way aggressive. However, I am trying to advise that once people are happy with the description (which is always accurate) and photos, I bear no responsibility for the item arriving. If there ever was an issue like DOA (which luckily enough hasn't happened to me), that can always be discussed amicably. And as was mentioned above, no one is forcing you to buy from me. I think I'm safe in saying that everyone who has bought anything from me was satisfied with the transaction.

The main message I'm trying to convey is that I don't want to deal with scamming cunts...

Hope that clears it up ;)

Nope, you've started WWIII

...he sent a carrier to the Spratly's....?!

Mike on a bike

"Foxindebox" the horsemen of the apocalypse for astringent sales terms! LOL

BadPickle
PS My board is smaller we know each for the most part for years so different.

Yeah, you invite lying cheating members in to scam you....