Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcNair

Rep vs gen rolex movement and second hand sweep

MikeMcNair

Discussing replicas today with a friend he says my dssd ticks not sweeps. I have a gen eta 2836-2 and I feel it sweeps smooth AS butter.

Now, it's my understanding they are both 28,800 bph, am I mistaken?

He said his gen sweeps better than his rep.

Discuss....

dingle

have you checked the movement inside your watch to be sure?

KBH

Of course he's going to say that. It's because he's so pissed off that you have the same watch as him for 10% of the price. In his mind it probably looks smoother even though it really isn't. Of course, I'm assuming he actually has one to compare yours to.

What do you think when you see them together?

KeNnY
Of course he's going to say that. It's because he's so pissed off that you have the same watch as him for 10% of the price. In his mind it probably looks smoother even though it really isn't. Of course, I'm assuming he actually has one to compare yours to.

What do you think when you see them together?

not 10%. (250USD from 7000USD) but only 3% of the watch :thumbsup:)) that is like a steal and I TOTALLY agree with you !

MikeMcNair

I didn't see them together yet but I have opened mine many times and it is a gen swiss eta 2836-2 (unless someone changed the gears, incablock, and engraving on the movement plate :lmao2: )

I am hoping he brings in the gen tomorrow so we can compare cause he said he would.

He's had reps so he's not weird about them, but he did seam pissed off almost. Almost like "dammit, this looks better than my watch" lol

10 bucks says he conveniently "forgets" to bring his "gen" in tomorrow.

We shall see.....

pollux1

My last visit to an AD was two days ago to try on a Ploprof and unintentionally a DSSD. The movement sweep of both are correct to higher end reps.

Ska

Yup I went into Mappin & Webb today and tried on a Cerachrome Sub and a DeVille Hour Vision. The ETA loaded rep's are just as smooth!

Member X

Get a vid of both next to each other and we can judge :lmao2:

gottahaverolex

Have a buddy that has several gen rollies and our swiss eta's sweep equally as smooth. My DSSD actaully sweep smoother than a few of his older date just's! TRUTH!

David543

If they both are 28,800 vph they will sweep the same, that works out at 8 beats per second and it is possible to count that fast. Pretty much the only watch to have a faster beat is this Zenith El-primo movement that beats 10 times per second at 36,000 vph.that's usually in chronographs so is pretty hard to count! The cheaper rep movements tend to be 6 beats per second and you can tell the difference.

In 2006 you could pick up a gen new two tone Rokex Sub for £3,000, now they are double that...... Inflation hasn't been 100% in the last four years!! Considering Rolex are mass produced in volume and pretend to be rare and exclusive, you could argue that our reps have more craftsmanship in them!!

Oh I'm not that 'new' I used to be on your old board and bought a number of watches back then. Interestingly my reps are ALL keeping good time and working perfectly, even my 7750 movement Big Bang (original version) which still looks like it fell out of the Hublot factory! Awesome hobby this.....

Edited by David543

MikeMcNair

yah guys, i agree on all points. and sadly, due to a frak snow storm, we didnt have work today. so hopefully tomorrow i can get a vid of both next to eachother :beer2:

jdoe
Inflation hasn't been 100% in the last four years!!

You haven't quite caught on to what the Fed have been doing the last 4 years it seems

JohnG
Discussing replicas today with a friend he says my dssd ticks not sweeps. I have a gen eta 2836-2 and I feel it sweeps smooth AS butter.

Now, it's my understanding they are both 28,800 bph, am I mistaken?

He said his gen sweeps better than his rep.

Discuss....

Your friend is a dick.

If it has an eta 2836 (or even a clone) then yours sweeps EXACTLY the same as his. Hell, even telling an 28800 from a 21600 21j isn't that easy.

Tell your friend that some guy on your rep forum said that he is an idiot and doesn't know shit.

:)

GC

The general population, especially those that have not held or seen a Gen Rolex, are under the impression that it has a completely smooth sweep. Now i know that your friend has a Gen, so this doesn't really apply but it is a common mis-belief. The amount of times i was called out wearing my Gen because it wasn't a "smooth" sweep would make you laugh. Your friend on the other hand seems to be comparing a 21j 21,600bph sweep (6x's a sec) to a 28,800bph sweep (8x's a sec), which would account for his statement. Trust me, when he sees your Rep next to his Gen he'll have to acknowledge the sweep is just as smooth. It's a jagged little pill that doesn't go down very easily...:)

gtwc

what about the slower beat Pateks?

kick your Rollie ass into a cocked hat.

Member X
The general population, especially those that have not held or seen a Gen Rolex, are under the impression that it has a completely smooth sweep. Now i know that your friend has a Gen, so this doesn't really apply but it is a common mis-belief. The amount of times i was called out wearing my Gen because it wasn't a "smooth" sweep would make you laugh. Your friend on the other hand seems to be comparing a 21j 21,600bph sweep (6x's a sec) to a 28,800bph sweep (8x's a sec), which would account for his statement. Trust me, when he sees your Rep next to his Gen he'll have to acknowledge the sweep is just as smooth. It's a jagged little pill that doesn't go down very easily...:)

I have to say, I was one of the people under the impression a 'gen sweep' was completely smooth, but it's only because I'd never had one before and it's rare to see automatics running in the shop window because they don't get tried on very often.

It could be true that a clone/swiss ETA might be slightly jerkier if it needs a service, but the difference would be marginal.

The new Bulova Accutron are literally smooth though, they're very impressive! Sadly the watches all have some weird skeleton dial look that really isn't very pretty... lol

David543

Good pont, vph are not the only, or necessarily main, reasons for accuracy in a watch, no one would argue that Pateks are beautifully made!! In the quest for technical perfection Daniels co-axial movement takes some beating, but who can resist the allure of the great complications like the tourbillon, despite being a complication designed to improve the accuracy of the pocket watch and serving no 'real' function in a modern wrist watch.

Jdoe

I have no idea what the Fed has been up to I am afraid, being English :damn_the_colonials: , however as I am an economist and accountant by profession I try to keep reasonably informed. Rolex aren't alone in beating the general inflation trend, and commodity prices will have a bearing as gold has increased dramatically. Interestingly the price of a Hublot Big Bang has increased, retail, from £5,400 to over £9k. I mean, criky!!!

jdoe
Jdoe

I have no idea what the Fed has been up to I am afraid, being English :damn_the_colonials: , however as I am an economist and accountant by profession I try to keep reasonably informed. Rolex aren't alone in beating the general inflation trend, and commodity prices will have a bearing as gold has increased dramatically. Interestingly the price of a Hublot Big Bang has increased, retail, from £5,400 to over £9k. I mean, criky!!!

Brit? Well maybe check up on what Bank of England has been up to then, same game as the Fed only things are bigger in the US.

In gold sovereigns the prices seem to be pretty stable :)

Guess you're more into them pieces of paper?

Edited by jdoe

David543
Jdoe

Brit? Well maybe check up on what Bank of England has been up to then, same game as the Fed only things are bigger in the US.

In gold sovereigns the prices seem to be pretty stable :thumbsup2:

Guess you're more into them pieces of paper?

Yep everything is bigger in the US....... Thought we were discussing watches rather than swiping at each other for no reason. Obviously you know best about everything. I absolutely stand corrected and bow to your superior intellect. Oh that's sarcasm, we do that as well as humor.

jdoe
Yep everything is bigger in the US....... Thought we were discussing watches rather than swiping at each other for no reason. Obviously you know best about everything. I absolutely stand corrected and bow to your superior intellect. Oh that's sarcasm, we do that as well as humor.

Thanks, I rather enjoyed your quirky humour. :thumbsup2:

(Bigger in this case is not better, to the contrary)

David543

Cheers jdoe! :thumbsup2:

MikeMcNair

wow, that got awkward fast....

regardless: 28,800 bph is what it is. if i serviced (lubed) my gen 2836-2 would it actually appear smoother?

makes me think..............

Member X

I think they are a liiiittle bit smoother, but it's probably just psychological :lmao2: lol

JohnG

regardless: 28,800 bph is what it is. if i serviced (lubed) my gen 2836-2 would it actually appear smoother?

Nope.

It is just as smooth as your buddy's gen. Seriously, tell him that a dude in this forum says he is full of fucking shit and if he wants to argue about it to sign up here and then we will see what is what.

:P

dingle

Nope.

It is just as smooth as your buddy's gen. Seriously, tell him that a dude in this forum says he is full of fucking shit and if he wants to argue about it to sign up here and then we will see what is what.

;)

that could actually be fun :P