Sign in to follow this  
Phanphy

House robbed - watches gone!

trailboss99

Damn mate, sorry to hear that :(

Slink73

you must be gutted - I had two watches stolen in the UK - and my insurer was a complete arse. I had to explain to a loss adjuster repeatedly why I would own three watches (I was wearing one) and why I didn't have receipts. In the end it was the photo's of me wearing them that finally came good. All for watches that cost GBP4000.

I hope you're insurer is better but I would maybe look for images wearing the watch as opposed to a watch box shot.

Defo look for them in local pawn shops and ebay too!

At least you can enjoy looking for replacements!

cattlerustler

you must be gutted - I had two watches stolen in the UK - and my insurer was a complete arse. I had to explain to a loss adjuster repeatedly why I would own three watches (I was wearing one) and why I didn't have receipts. In the end it was the photo's of me wearing them that finally came good. All for watches that cost GBP4000.

I hope you're insurer is better but I would maybe look for images wearing the watch as opposed to a watch box shot.

Wow amazed they paid out in the end, all my gen watches need to be declared if over £1000 and now I have so many, if they are not on my wrist they have to be in approved safe with the correct limits for the value of the items inside, it is a total arse but we have to do it to be properly insured.

Also have to be revalued every 3 years!

rek001

Sorry to hear of your loss, if it happened to me I'd be devastated.

As for trying to get some insurance money for the reps - I just don't see how you would explain these were "homages" or whatever without raising some eyebrows.

Slink73

Wow amazed they paid out in the end, all my gen watches need to be declared if over £1000 and now I have so many, if they are not on my wrist they have to be in approved safe with the correct limits for the value of the items inside, it is a total arse but we have to do it to be properly insured.

TBH I pay a premium for my house/contents insurance to avoid some of that - our individual item value before needing to be specifically declared is GBP2500. Admittedly I do have a house safe so the insurers seem to like that... I couldn't be doing the valuation thing every 3 years... my jeweller charges 12.5% of the value as their fee!

I had to hound the insurer to pay out!

cattlerustler

TBH I pay a premium for my house/contents insurance to avoid some of that - our individual item value before needing to be specifically declared is GBP2500. Admittedly I do have a house safe so the insurers seem to like that... I couldn't be doing the valuation thing every 3 years... my jeweller charges 12.5% of the value as their fee!

I had to hound the insurer to pay out!

12.5% is a total rip off, we pay 1%! (I live in south east essex, if you are nearby I can let you know who my jeweler is)

Who do you use as your insurer? £2500 would know most of my wife's jewelry off our all risks making stuff much easier, also no valuations every 3 years would be lovely as well :)

Slink73

So I use Direct Line Select Premier. I went to get you the link and noted the single item value has gone up

https://www.directline.com/home-insurance/jewellery-insurance

I got my policy a few years back hadn't realised it had improved! I should warn you though it's not the cheapest cover...

narikaa

As a word of caution, most Jewellers valuations are quite worthless when insurers get to dismantling them

Usually, only an 'opinion' as to value item by item - which will be 'countered' by the alternate opinion of the insurers

Frankly I wouldn't pay them a penny piece unless it quantified gram weight of what ct gold etc and weight and appraisal stone by stone

A useful jeweller will cock up receipts from defunct companies from when gold was at record lows. Making your monetary replacement claim uncounterable with replacement items. As armed as you are with attestations to the actual weight you can 'double dare' them to just give you the replacement weight in gold ;) (cheers them up immensely)

RussP

I second Reg's opinion.

Spent most of my working life in Insurance Claims, so I do know what I'm talking about too ;)

Slink73

As a word of caution, most Jewellers valuations are quite worthless when insurers get to dismantling them

Usually, only an 'opinion' as to value item by item - which will be 'countered' by the alternate opinion of the insurers

Frankly I wouldn't pay them a penny piece unless it quantified gram weight of what ct gold etc and weight and appraisal stone by stone

A useful jeweller will cock up receipts from defunct companies from when gold was at record lows. Making your monetary replacement claim uncounterable with replacement items. As armed as you are with attestations to the actual weight you can 'double dare' them to just give you the replacement weight in gold ;) (cheers them up immensely)

Interestingly the valuations I do have expressly stipulate stone quality and weight, gold weight and ct, and my watch valuation contains details of purchase price, current condition and current value. The policy I have in place stipulates a new for old policy on items below the pricing ceiling. Loss adjusters can be $unts but at the end of the day there must be so many scammers out there... what I objected to was the computerised phone calls - which asked me the same things over and over - which I then found out to be some type of polygraph system.

But won out in the end. I am curious how they'd handle the term replica - seen as possession is not illegal in the UK.

narikaa

Good then you've half a chance of avoiding another laughable ruse - where they agree a replacement monetary amount and give you a voucher to that effect which you can shop your l'ill heart away at their designated outlet "Complicit Uncle Stollies Wholesale Jewellers" where of course you won't even feel them slip it up you

Slink73

^ they tried that with my watch replacements, i felt it coming and managed to dodge the shafting...

when I told them I wanted cash they tried to reduce the payout.... it was like a medieval torture, slow burning like a burning branding iron in the arse. In the end they paid up, but I think it took me six months or so...

narikaa

Sage advise I was given many years ago

Inflate it to cover the cost

And instruct Loss Assessors