Knuppel

Using an automatic as daily watch

Knuppel

I'm in the process of ordering my first rep Tag Heuer watch. As you all probably have done, i'm upscaling by the second :unsure:

First a 150 dollar watch was good enough, i've now arrived at a 300 dollar watch. Which ofcourse is fine; good things cost good money.

My choice is between these 2:

http://www.ttw-138.c...oducts_id=14159 (automatic, 1:1, with metal strap, $288)

http://www.ttw-138.c...oducts_id=10524 (quartz, far from 1:1 rep, $148)

The Carrera 1887 Chrono being my favorite. I know it's not really a comparison, but the Link automatic version doesn't have a glass back, and for me that's like buying a Ferrari and keeping it in the garage. 1:1 isn't a dealbreaker, just a nice plus.

The intented usage of the watch is to wear it daily to work (IT). My question is, can this be done with an automatic (A-7750)? Or are the internals too fragile?

Who else has an automatic rep, wears it daily, and for how long now?

image.png

Edited by Knuppel

BIG GRUNDY

I have pretty much phased out all my quartz watches (or at least buying any new ones). I prefer the automatics myself, personally. They hold up fine sitting at a desk all day...heh, Although I usually pissed when I nick it on a door frame or such.

Del

Depends what you do for a living. If you frequently operate a pneumatic drill then an automatic watch might not be the best choice for daily wear but if you work in an office most of the time then an automatic would be absolutely fine.

austinsom

I wear automatics most of the time, and no problems to report. Just bear in mind if you're going to do high impact stuff to take it off, as then they are a little more fragile than a quartz.

Whilst we know a mechanical watch needs servicing, many forget the same applies to an analogue quartz.

I wouldn't worry about it :)

trailboss99

We all pretty much wear an auto daily mate. As Del said if you lean on the end of a jackhammer maybe not but for most people its fine.

Knuppel

Good to hear and thanks for the replies guys. Though I probably wouldn't do the same with a $4000 genuine, but that's the fun of replica's i guess. :-)

About the servicing. Can any (non Tag dealer) jeweller service a Tag automatic watch? Are the internals the same or should i expect issues? In daily usage how often servicing is average?

Edited by Knuppel

Del

Any decent watchsmith/repairer should be able to service a mechanical watch. However, many (most?) won't touch a replica so you would need to seek out a rep-friendly watchsmith or use someone (trusted) on the replica watch fora. In addition, if you choose a rep with the Asian 7750 chronograph movement then be warned that even some rep-friendly watchsmiths (and trusted repairers on the fora) will either not want to work on it or won't have the knowledge to work on it - parts for these movements are more difficult to source. Plus it's much more expensive to service an Asian 7750 than a non-chrono movement like an Asian 2836, for example.

As for how often, it could be months or it could be years - very much depends on how well the movement was put together in China in the first place, and how often you "play" with the chronos.

I'd very much recommend that you read all the new member threads, expectations of a replica thread and the movement guides. ;)

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=4505

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=6930

GenTLe

This is a >15yo "daily watch" of a house builder, that I fixed because the dial detached and he wanted to go on using it.

This thing for more 15 years dealt every day with hammers, concrete, stones and so on (and it's well visible):

33670910070_54a8a1147f_o.jpg

It's an auto and it still works fine :)

I wouldn't do the same with a 7750, but for a normal office life they are fine, especially those with the running seconds at 9 like that tag.

• Like 1

BIG GRUNDY

dang, that seiko 5 has seen better days...hah. Good for you man

Nikosaldente

This has been a beater for 7 years and still going:

IMG_20160705_101228_zpsolk7tcj8.jpg

Knuppel

I just realised servicing costs just as much as a new replica.

Well, thats settled then...

impreza

Auto is pretty much all i buy nowadays.

GenTLe
I just realised servicing costs just as much as a new replica.

Well, thats settled then...

For a 7750 you are in 150$ range, around half of it for a time/date

IrishInSingapore

Go for the automatic. I have worn gens and reps for the last 15 years. Agree on the 2836 movement. Pretty bulletproof with my use and you can always find a rep friendly watchsmith.

Enjoy your watch!

Cheekyspud

Im trying to phase out automatics in my collection but sometimes I want to pick up and go which is where I have a solar on standby.

nole4ever

You'll be fine with an automatic.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hattricks
On 23/05/2017 at 09:04, GenTLe said:

This is a >15yo "daily watch" of a house builder, that I fixed because the dial detached and he wanted to go on using it.

This thing for more 15 years dealt every day with hammers, concrete, stones and so on (and it's well visible):

33670910070_54a8a1147f_o.jpg

It's an auto and it still works fine :)

I wouldn't do the same with a 7750, but for a normal office life they are fine, especially those with the running seconds at 9 like that tag.

Wow..How do you even tell time on that thingSeiko 5s are tanks especially for the price though, no denying that.

On 23/05/2017 at 09:33, Nikosaldente said:

This has been a beater for 7 years and still going:

IMG_20160705_101228_zpsolk7tcj8.jpg

Noob Factory LMPO?

...all of my watches, gen and rep are autos...no problems at all...

BadApple
46 minutes ago, 996 said:

...all of my watches, gen and rep are autos...no problems at all...

What's with all the Necroposting? 

• Like 1