childishthing

My StoneP Build (updated 5/27)

Moondustesp

I am in the process of collecting the parts for a two tone datejust project. I will use a genuine dial that I have and the case etc will be from riyi. Why I am I doing this? Because I like the idea of a two tone and I am not will to spend big like I have with my past frankens. I put a thread together with progress etc and maybe a nice comparison with the stonep build if childishthing is ok with that ;)

Thang

To me, the joy of having a franken is the process of getting the parts and building the watch on my own. Learning and doing the build are very rewarded process and when the final product came to light, I feel proud of the effort put into the build.

To each of their own, everyone has a way to enjoy what they have. There is no right or wrong way to archieve what you want as long as it is at your own effort and risk.

:-)

BadPickle

Following your explanation comparing fake watches to gen you might as well wear canal street reps or sub 150 usd reps because most people are not going to be able to tell the difference anyways, if that is your main motivation. Personally I go after my own judgement and passion and not of that from most other people, which are clueless anyways..

I was actually pointing out that these so called franken builders can knock together any old shite on their kitchen table and sell it for astronomical amounts of cash, add a few smoke and mirrors into the mix, jazz it up with a few fancy photoshopped pics and who would be able to tell??

The m2m sales here speak for themselves, 2 of these "much sought after" frankies listed here this week without a tickle of interest at all. Let's ask these sellers if they're happy with the build, they'll probably say "impending wedding forces sale" but in actual fact the build itself is crap, losing time fogging crystal blah blah blah,,, then again, probably not.... but what do I know.

Moondustesp

Following your explanation comparing fake watches to gen you might as well wear canal street reps or sub 150 usd reps because most people are not going to be able to tell the difference anyways, if that is your main motivation. Personally I go after my own judgement and passion and not of that from most other people, which are clueless anyways..

????????????????????????????????

��

I was actually pointing out that these so called franken builders can knock together any old shite on their kitchen table and sell it for astronomical amounts of cash, add a few smoke and mirrors into the mix, jazz it up with a few fancy photoshopped pics and who would be able to tell??

The m2m sales here speak for themselves, 2 of these "much sought after" frankies listed here this week without a tickle of interest at all. Let's ask these sellers if they're happy with the build, they'll probably say "impending wedding forces sale" but in actual fact the build itself is crap, losing time fogging crystal blah blah blah,,, then again, probably not.... but what do I know.

freezee90

the thing is though, I actually am getting married and need the funds - the build was commissioned a few months ago when I thought I'd be alright for funds... the build of my franken is beautiful, and if I didn't have to pay for a wedding, I would absolutely keep it

freezee90

Also, unless you've owned a franken (at least one made by stonep, as this is my only experience) you can't really understand how good these things look. I have a gen 116200, and bought the franken thinking it would be more of a holiday watch. I'm a firm believer in letting people form their own opinions, and I don't agree with using people's situations to make a point of getting your opinion heard. The point I'm trying to make is to not assume to know the circumstances people here find themselves in... not trying to cause any issues, but people have their reasons for selling, and I like to think that the people here are honest - if someone is selling a watch for a specific reason or cause aside from things like not liking the watch, or it being a poor build etc - I for one would say if that were the reason for sale, and like to think others would too. Rant over :)

gamba66
Also, unless you've owned a franken (at least one made by stonep, as this is my only experience) you can't really understand how good these things look. I have a gen 116200, and bought the franken thinking it would be more of a holiday watch. I'm a firm believer in letting people form their own opinions, and I don't agree with using people's situations to make a point of getting your opinion heard. The point I'm trying to make is to not assume to know the circumstances people here find themselves in... not trying to cause any issues, but people have their reasons for selling, and I like to think that the people here are honest - if someone is selling a watch for a specific reason or cause aside from things like not liking the watch, or it being a poor build etc - I for one would say if that were the reason for sale, and like to think others would too. Rant over :)

Its good you labeled this a rant because this was a highly subjective post from you with no factual basis or comparison. Post a picture of your 116200, then I will oost one of a gen and a bp dj that doesnt have incorrect endlinks..

All I did was inform the fellow members on this board what parts are used and their approximate Quality. Its up to you to enjoy your build but this diesnt change the fact there are reps with less flaws and higher quality parts for less money.

These builders do nit disclose their source of parts for obvious reasons, even though these sources are public knowledge to most franken builders (who do it for passion and not for profit)

Also when people know what to expect they can form their own opinion. Knowledge is power

Edited by gamba66

freezee90

Its good you labeled this a rant because this was a highly subjective post from you with no factual basis or comparison. Post a picture of your 116200, then I will oost one of a gen and a bp dj that doesnt have incorrect endlinks..

All I did was inform the fellow members on this board what parts are used and their approximate Quality. Its up to you to enjoy your build but this diesnt change the fact there are reps with less flaws and higher quality parts for less money.

These builders do nit disclose their source of parts for obvious reasons, even though these sources are public knowledge to most franken builders (who do it for passion and not for profit)

Also when people know what to expect they can form their own opinion. Knowledge is power

My commentary was aimed at pickledbeetroot

Thelittleprince

While this build is great, i have to agree with members 1400$ is a lot for a franken datejust....

I just saw a 1601 gen with the rare alpha hands, white gold bezel etc sell for 1600$ on an ebay auction

Many more sell around that 1600 to 1800 price point *Gen*

For a datejust ofcorse, however for a very specific model like that i guess its worth it, kinda

Only sucks if you dont have someone to service it!

freezee90
While this build is great, i have to agree with members 1400$ is a lot for a franken datejust....

I just saw a 1601 gen with the rare alpha hands, white gold bezel etc sell for 1600$ on an ebay auction

Many more sell around that 1600 to 1800 price point *Gen*

For a datejust ofcorse, however for a very specific model like that i guess its worth it, kinda

Only sucks if you dont have someone to service it!

I must say that in my opinion 1400 is a lot for a Franken

gamba66

Guys check out this review from someone who has built franken djs himself.

https://forum.replic...datejust.76505/

I think silix may be a good source for solid datejust 5 digit reps such as 16234/16200

Worst case you buy a silix rep and a gen datejust dial (they are not that rare or expensive on ebay) yourself and let one of the many modders install it (costs 50 euro with most of them and they wont leave fingerprints, hair or dust inside.. Or a an incorrectly installed xtal)

Seems they even offer twotone datejusts.

If you want a 6 digit datejust such as 116234 you can buy it from any source that sells bp factory watches, be sure to get the bp v2 as they offer the correct endlinks. In comparison to the cases these franken builders use the bp v2 datejust is so much more superior in all aspects (case and endlink shape and fitment, bracelet quality, bezel, case specs..) the only thing you should franken on a bp v2 is the crown

Just to show what I mean concerning the endlinks on a 1162xx. This is a picture of a stonep (matt uses the same in his builds) 6 digit datejust that was recently sold m2m for a serious price. Take a close look at the endlinks from the front and back. (Ignoring the shoddy finishing quality of the bracelet and case and the wrong 18k and gold stamps on the back of the case.....) Oh and while your at it you can compare the "gen" crown too, doesnt look very similiar to me. Who knows if these are even gen rolex crystals used when its always the one without the laser-engraved crown..

FRANKEN

WobG241.jpg

Bzw7yVog.jpg

GEN Datejust (bp v2 rep also got the endlinks and case right)

z110149-p---Copy.jpg

116234-20130903b-4.jpg

The 6-digit datejust franken builds being sold and offered by these two famous builders really made me wonder, why they offer them with subpar-quality cases and bracelets when there is a better rep version available in the form of bpv2 (why do they not use them as a base): Because their main goal isnt building the best possible but the most profitable possible..

Here is an example of a frankenbuild 116234 that used the bpv2 rep as a base:

https://forum.replic...-116234.349737/

image.png

Edited by gamba66

NCRich

I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy the rep and drop a gen dial in it? I mean gen dials are all over ebay for $100. With these cases you are just buying a rep case anyway.

Money, money money!

gamba66
I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy the rep and drop a gen dial in it? I mean gen dials are all over ebay for $100. With these cases you are just buying a rep case anyway.

Money, money money!

Exactly what im saying.

Many of these builds are being sold with only a gen dial and thats it.. And still cost close to 1k.. They have an asian eta and rep everything else (and not very good quality parts..) .. Why do they cost so much though

If this is the equivalent to exchanging the dial (ok you need to notch the movement ring and use day/date wheel overlays) on a rep (a shitty one in their case) for what modders charge less than 60 dollar.. Why is it so expensive..

And people love to hype these builds without any factual reason one.. They feel like gen though, too expensive for what your paying??.. :giggle:

Edited by gamba66

Moondustesp

Any update?

childishthing

Any update?

Completed today, ships tomorrow. He has to take photos and post a For Sale thread first.

ilikewatchestoo

Any update?

Completed today, ships tomorrow. He has to take photos and post a For Sale thread first.

Can't wait to check it out! Congrats!

splke

Can you back out? If you can I would I I were you pal

Moondustesp

The mymanroliep build should be ready soon :) can't wait

ROLIE

The mymanroliep build should be ready soon :) can't wait

and it will be over the weekend ,,,,,, fingers crossed .. :thumbsup2:

Moondustesp

:)

Moondustesp

Did it arrive yet?

paulbadran

How I can send message to this guy? I am interested to buy one could u send me his link.

BadPickle
How I can send message to this guy? I am interested to buy one could u send me his link.

Have a look around the member sales section here, there's a few which the members are struggling to sell :lol:

SuperbMonster

Have a look around the member sales section here, there's a few which the members are struggling to sell :lol:

:rofl: