Sign in to follow this  
snoopy_

Anyone use the TZWS? Suggestions for movements?

snoopy_

Anyone use the TZWS? http://www.timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool/

I just sign up for the level one course and was wondering if there are some rep watches I could buy that would have the recommended movement inside? They recommend FH97 or ST97 or 2801-2, but they say many manual wind up watches use similar movements and are acceptable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Snoopy_

Cynikal.Mindset

buy a panerai style 6497 movement watch for level one according to the website...$99 or less for a basic rep or homage watch with that movement (see jackson tse, getat or prestigewatchco).

KBH
buy a panerai style 6497 movement watch for level one according to the website...$99 or less for a basic rep or homage watch with that movement (see jackson tse, getat or prestigewatchco).

About $35 for the movement from Getat or JacksonTse.

aargh

I just did the course. I'm not sure it was as helpful as I had hoped mainly because of the movement differences. I had to repair a 6497 movement, took the entire thing apart and put it all back together, first time I even opened up a watch!

I found this animated flash instructions (from ETA nonetheless) on how to disassemble and reassemble a 6497 way more helpful than the WS course. http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/6497/6947.html I just followed along on each step, it was like legos

the WS course is good reading material, I did find the section on how to re-assemble the shock assembly in the balance wheel extremely helpful though, not sure i would have maintained my sanity without it. The technique on how to hold the parts is useful too, good tips of the trade.

snoopy_

Thanks.

I thought it would be a let down, but was intrigued for about a year.... bought level 1, and it was pretty much a let down. :boobies: It seems more like a method to get people to buy their level kits more that watch repair. I really thought their forum would be a great resource to help and guide you, but it was a major bust. Oh well...

Thanks to everyone's suggestions. I bought some old pocket watches on ebay to start. Cost was about $15. I did buy one modern movement, it was smaller than a dime! It was ticking though, but I can't see my big sausage fingers starting on that anytime soon. :boobies: