Sign in to follow this  
millerjohn

First New Watch and many questions

millerjohn

Hi there!

I though it would be a good start with showing what I am expecting soon. So, I asked the trusted dealer to send me some photos of my new ROLEX GMT-MASTER II (50TH ANNI) SWISS ETA 2836 CERAMIC. And I got some great pics!

http://i.imgur.com/NW8wd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZvyLj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j0GPS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IRL3O.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ufcaC.jpg

And I also got a video showing me the the watch and the technical info from the magic boc :) now, I browesed the forum and found this realy helpful post which got me a bit worrying. http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...;hl=timegrapher

Because it says "A healthy watch has an amplitude of between 275 and 310 degrees (in the horizontal position)." and if I watch the video of my watch it says 251 degrees.

To be honest, that got me worried (although I have no idea why which degree is better than the other). Any ideas, opinions or something? :(

Many thanks for your thoughts!

NFleischer

Looks nice, enjoy and welcome. I'm not sure about that technical stuff either.

David543

Iv looked at these reports myself and thought wtf does that mean.... Hopefully someone here can help?

I think the watch looks great and I'm sure it will be fine! Let's face it if they hadn't shown you you wouldn't be worrying so I'm sure they wouldn't have posted it if there was a problem. :beer2:

Cynikal.Mindset

at least you know you will be getting a genuine swiss movement...well most of it will be swiss or you can kick Lay's ass.

looks good, enjoy it when it arrives

trailboss99

251 is close enough for a Chinese MVT.

Col.

millerjohn

Yea, I really like the looks of it too. Right, I would not have cared what the readings actually mean if I had never seen them, but now it is too late. However found a good explanation about what the amplitude measurment means (at: http://www.howwatcheswork.com/watch-repair...positions.html)

and below the copy-paste since its terrible to read on the website:

Positional Error

Most watches are adjusted in positions. This means that the watch has been fine tuned to maintain a certain amount of accuracy when placed in various physical positions. Positional error is the timing error or difference in rate a watch displays between these different positions. Often times after a watch has been cleaned and oiled it will run well with good balance wheel motion in one position but when changed to another position the amplitude of the balance will drop considerably. Positional error cannot be dealt with until the amplitude of the balance is acceptable in all positions. There should always be a small drop in balance amplitude when a watch is moved from a horizontal position i.e. dial up or dial down, to a vertical position. Friction is the reason for this. In the horizontal position the balance pivot is exerting most of its pressure down onto one cap jewel. If the shape of the pivot is correct and the cap jewel is in good condition then the inertia of the balance will experience little resistance from friction. An analogy of this would be a spinning top on a smooth glass surface. When changed to a vertical position both balance pivots will experience greater friction due to an increase in surface contact along the sides of the pivot from the walls of the hole jewels. The amplitude of the balance can tell us a great deal about the condition of a watch. Poor balance motion in any position tells us there is a problem somewhere that must be corrected. A watch that exhibits good balance motion in one horizontal position, say dial up, but has poor or no motion when turned over to its other horizontal position, dial down, could suffer from one or more of several possible problems. Some of these problems could emanate from somewhere in the train or may be in the balance assembly itself. If the problem is not obvious then it will be helpful to isolate the balance from the driving portion of the watch. This is easily accomplished by removing the pallet from the movement. We can now impart a few puffs from a watch blower to the balance wheel to observe the balance motion while placing the movement in various positions. If the motion is now acceptable when changing between dial up and dial down then we have eliminated the balance assembly as the problem and the problem is somewhere in the drive train or pallet assembly.

and then it continued how to repair it.

Essentially, the amplitude should be close to 275 otherwise there are some problems with the movement.

seclark007

John,

Great info, I learned something today.

Lay is a great dealer, I have a 50th anniversary GMT myself from him. It quickly became a daily wear watch, bang on accurate...which is very welcome. You won't be dissapointed, I'm sure.

Sean

millerjohn
251 is close enough for a Chinese MVT.

Col.

Maybe, but it is supposed to be a swiss eta 2836 - is it then still close enough? or just a sign that it isn't a swiss eta?? :lol:

millerjohn

Thanks Sean, that's what I needed to hear! Really looking forward to it already and cannot wait to hold it in my hands :lol:

Cynikal.Mindset

its a swiss base movement but like most of them they are old and have been repaired with chinese parts etc. 251 is fine

millerjohn

Ok, now I understand. Many thanks!

David543

Thanks for the technical information there John, I wondered how they measured for positional accuracy, now I know! There are loads of these reports on utube, maybe you could see on there how yours compares with all the others?

I've just got a watch from Lay for my daughter. It's a Chanel J21, real full CERAMIC for £68!!! Delivered. Amazing value and quartz as the gen but perfectly accurate so far. Like Sean said, I'm sure you'll be fine and love the watch. Shiwbus when it arrives!!!

Cheers David

Edited by David543

millerjohn

Hi David, that's exactly what I did. Seems that they are all quite the same (around 250degrees) if the have the 28800 heart beating. I knew that Jay has a good reputation (otherwise he wouldn't sell here), but it is still good to hear from more experienced members about the technicalities. And of course I also want to learn more, since that was certainly not the last watch I bought.

Cheers,

John

alistairw

I have just ordered a Pepsi GMT11 Franken from Lay, received the pic's and video yesterday. This info has helped me, so thanks and appreciation to all who commented.

(Amplitutde is 269 -275 in the 6 positions. The movement is a Asian 2836.)

I have bought a few watches from Lay, the best is a SMP300, I wear most days, here is the link

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=9102

You will not be disappointed with his watches, they are of sensational quality.

millerjohn
I have just ordered a Pepsi GMT11 Franken from Lay, received the pic's and video yesterday. This info has helped me, so thanks and appreciation to all who commented.

(Amplitutde is 269 -275 in the 6 positions. The movement is a Asian 2836.)

I have bought a few watches from Lay, the best is a SMP300, I wear most days, here is the link

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=9102

You will not be disappointed with his watches, they are of sensational quality.

Oh yes, a true beauty, congrats! ;)

KBH

I wonder if the extra gears added to run the GMT hand affect the amplitude? That wouldn't surprise me.

millerjohn

And here it is!!! It arrived :)

DSC01827.jpg

Isn't she beautiful (despite my awful photographing and cleaning skills)?!

And the best part of it all - everything works! The date jumps perfectly at 12, the GMT moves as it is supposed to, and it jumps when setting different time zones. what should I say, I simply love it :lol:

And Lay's service was perfect!

John

dingle

great pic :lol:

crewldude
great pic :lol:

Nice watch, congrats! And Lay is great to deal with, and has some great prices. His $88 DSSD is an amazing value.

Balad1

Beautiful watch; happy for you.

millerjohn

And another picture because I am so happy!!

DSC01845.jpg

Del

Congrats :)

The GMTIIc is a beauty - enjoy it often!

RacingSnake

Very nice watch. Congratulations.