Sign in to follow this  
taylorwinn16

To owners of a Yachtmaster rep.

taylorwinn16

Can anyone tell me what the 10-0 countdown does on the reps? I know the gen is a 10 minute countdown, or so i have read on the net. I dont think mine does this, and after testing it out and trying to search on the web, i cant find anything on the rep movement. anyone know?

NFleischer

I think you may be talking about the YM 2. It's a lousy rep and the gen is a

big ugly expensive mess-IMHO.

taylorwinn16

yea the YM2

powderfreak

Disagree! The yacht-timer (thats what that countdown is called) is actually just too complex to be copied by any rep-factory. That's quite impressive and if you ever want to own a gen, that cannot easily be copied by more or less talented chinese backyard-horologists, go for a yachtmaster 2.

And btw, I think it looks good :)

Takken

It looks pretty nice, not my cup of tea but still...

rolex_yachtmaster2-thumb.jpg

Balad1

Some watch!

I believe the 10-0 countdown feature works like this.

Put the watch on, count to ten and then you're gay.

bme
:clap:

MikeMcNair

while i DO NOT like the look of that, what is the function for? why would one need to count down from 10 to 0?

Balad1

Sorry Taylor, it's a little to flashy for me but on a serious note, if you like it that's all that matters.

MikeMcNair

not gonna lie, a YM1 is WAY sharper. but whatever YOU like is what YOU should get.

Balad1

Hey Taylor, this is Mike's favorite rep.

PS: I like yours better.

aCyE.jpg

MikeMcNair
Hey Taylor, this is Mike's favorite rep.

PS: I like yours better.

aCyE.jpg

ted, that would be perfect if it were a little lower or higher. i mean, i gotta rub it out to your face or your cock, just seeing your abs doesnt do it any more for me. sorry bro. i DO INDEED still love you.

Balad1

LOL

MikeMcNair
LOL

:wub::facepalm:

Balad1
LOL

:wub::facepalm:

That's one I won't buy from you Brother, lol.

PatronSaintofChainsaws

Wasn't the YMII nicknamed the "ClownMaster"?

Personally, the only thing that kills it for me is having the Yacht-Master II text on the bezel.

Scavolas

Dispute over personal taste and sexual orientation will not do much for the still unanswered question of our mate.

(I have to add that I did contemplate over getting this particular watch in a rep but then I found out that no decent rep existed from a functionality standpoint in either automatic or quartz movement, so I ditched the idea for now. For the record, I am so far away from being gay that I rather count as a womanizer, always ready to go for the pussy...)

As far as the 10-minute regatta countdown feature is concerned, I read something like it is for an actually important functional detail when someone is into regatta yachting. I am not sure I recall everything accurately but it has to do something that at a regatta event there is a 10 minute countdown from a signal to a start of the race (or whatever with such a significance). So if you had a 10 minute countdown capability right on your wrist and it takes as much as a simple push of a button, and it is very precisely done, it might be a nice convenience for you. Of course, when someone has the luxury of having a yacht and getting headaches of going to regattas, I believe buying a gen of YMII will not be a big hurdle either. Not even at its 12,500 USD price point.

PeterWorcester
while i DO NOT like the look of that, what is the function for? why would one need to count down from 10 to 0?

Mike,

It's a sailor's watch. In a sail boat race, you typically have 10 minutes to maneuver before you actually cross the line and officially start the race, so when the first gun goes off, you start the countdown timer and maneuver for 10 minutes until a "start" gun or mini cannon goes off signaling the actual start of the race. So keeping track of, especially the last 60 seconds, is crucial so you put your boat in the proper position relative to others to start the race. You want to cross the starting line in the most advantageous position, relative to the other boat(s) and you want to cross that line, typically, as that final gun goes off, ie the countdown timer hits zero.

Years ago, we used stop watches, then stop watches that count down from some # of minutes, now those functions are built into most sailing watches, and you want them easy to read so there is no confusion etc.

Just a little bit of trivia, for a sailor it's a very useful function.

Cheers

Peter