Davesjourney

Something wrong...?

deju

The Panerai is a simple tool watch, there in lies the beauty 

Rolex is purely a sound investment nothing special just a great watch 

Undinist

Watches are like clothes now, they're always a mixture of visual appeal and practicality.  Nobody says you have to like Panerai or Rolex, any more than you have to like Armani suits or Prada shoes.  Other people's opinions are irrelevant, just buy whatever makes you feel good . 

maxmood

can't see myself buying a PAM..

Genius
1 hour ago, Davesjourney said:

No  but bought one of these.  Am just loving the non fluted bezel on this

36932596892_699efcb496_c.jpg

I'm a big fan of the milgauss had a few of them although I always end up selling them, probably due buying another sometime soon

splke

just missed out on a Mil yesterday :( 

But bought one of these today to cheer myself up :)

z111384-p---Copy.jpg

Left Coast Guy

Maybe its a generational thing, but my view of expensive watches was that they were all on bracelets.....which just seemed old and stodgy to me.  But PAMs are totally different, they don't even really come on bracelets for the most part, oversized with very recognizable cases and vintage-styled with military-inspired simplicity.....its all a bit of a  :finger:to the establishment -- Its big and noticeable, and says "I'm not one of the sheep."

Then there's the whole business of the straps, and the unreal shit the strapmakers around here can make that just oozes quality and luxury. They can be exotic and colorful or vintage and plain, or whatever you want, day to day, as they're super easy to change (at least on Luminors!) 

And lastly, I'm a big guy at 6'3 220 and while I like me a Patek as much as the next guy, even a Jumbo Aquanaut looks tiny on my wrist. 

splke

and dave how can you not like the radiomir blackseal bud it is a beauty

Undinist
1 hour ago, Left Coast Guy said:

says "I'm not one of the sheep."

Judging by the layout of the TD sites, Pam seems to be up there just behind Rolex and AP as one of the most popular brands.  Their marketing campaign has been astonishingly successful in  the few years since their relaunch. I think it's too late to wear one to signify that you're "different"! Unless you wear the 60mm one...sounds like you're the right size for it. Then you can join Arnie's club and be one of the few people who it looks good on.

Left Coast Guy
28 minutes ago, Undinist said:

Judging by the layout of the TD sites, Pam seems to be up there just behind Rolex and AP as one of the most popular brands.  Their marketing campaign has been astonishingly successful in  the few years since their relaunch. I think it's too late to wear one to signify that you're "different"! Unless you wear the 60mm one...sounds like you're the right size for it. Then you can join Arnie's club and be one of the few people who it looks good on.

I'm not sure TD layout is really the right guidepost to use.....I mean when was the last time you saw an AP out 'in the wild'? What's popular here is a different matter than what is worn on the street. I work in finance, and see plenty of high-end watches, Rolex is nearly 10-1 PAMs in real life. 

I've not seen updated numbers, but by pieces sold, it goes something like Rolex, Omega, Cartier, Breitling, IWC......Panerai might not even be in the top ten...

Undinist

Sure, I was just talking about reps.  Rolex sold 800,000 watches last year (says Forbes), Panerai's 2013 total was 70,000 (says Watch Insider). That's the  most recent number I can find. For comparison, Rolex sold 600,00 that year and AP sold  30,000 .  The prominence given to Pans by TDs suggests they sell an awful lot of Pan reps.  They seem to get masses of attention here and at RWI.  It's an impressive level of popularity for such a niche brand. 

deju
1 hour ago, Undinist said:

Sure, I was just talking about reps.  Rolex sold 800,000 watches last year (says Forbes), Panerai's 2013 total was 70,000 (says Watch Insider). That's the  most recent number I can find. For comparison, Rolex sold 600,00 that year and AP sold  30,000 .  The prominence given to Pans by TDs suggests they sell an awful lot of Pan reps.  They seem to get masses of attention here and at RWI.  It's an impressive level of popularity for such a niche brand. 

They are easy as fuck to replicate, thus popular in the rep world and value for money as a rep! In the real world no one really knows what the fuck panerai is. 

GenTLe
They are easy as fuck to replicate, thus popular in the rep world and value for money as a rep! In the real world no one really knows what the fuck panerai is. 

Very true!
I am Italian but the only "Panerai" I knew before joining RWG was "Laura Panerai"...

Montyb82
16 hours ago, splke said:

just missed out on a Mil yesterday :( 

But bought one of these today to cheer myself up :)

z111384-p---Copy.jpg

I'm afraid I was the one who best you to the punch on the milgauss, not a Rolex fan but funnily enough the next watch I'm looking at is that one but with grape dial! Don't see myself getting any subs or dssd etc