Sign in to follow this  
Undinist

Why no rep of the most expensive Rolex - the Ice Master?

RussP

Just one question........................WHY ????

Undinist

I don't believe you can automate the Pave (Pronounced Pah-Vey) process. That would make this rep REALLY expensive to produce in terms of labor. So they would have to sell it for prices hitting the (low end) gen level. People spending that kind of money will buy a gen.

There are a few sub-$100 pavés on DHgate, e.g. http://www.dhgate.co...earl|1220345785 But maybe the face is just sticky-backed plastic.

You should buy that and then do a review. The forum could use a good laugh

I'm seriously considering one of the cheap uberbling DHGate monsters. Am researching as we speak. But I don't want to end up with something non-functional, or lacking a Rolex badge. This one would fit the bill but it doesn't seem to have a real chronograph. http://www.dhgate.com/product/hot-sell-2014-best-quality-luxury-mens-automatic/187576384.html#s1-5-1b;searl|1220345785

iabounty

I saw a Timex at walmart the other day as I was passing by the jewelry dept. It looked quite similar and cost $12 American....

RUSH2112

OP is the anti-Dale Carnegie

Genius

I don't believe you can automate the Pave (Pronounced Pah-Vey) process. That would make this rep REALLY expensive to produce in terms of labor. So they would have to sell it for prices hitting the (low end) gen level. People spending that kind of money will buy a gen.

There are a few sub-$100 pavés on DHgate, e.g. http://www.dhgate.co...earl|1220345785 But maybe the face is just sticky-backed plastic.

You should buy that and then do a review. The forum could use a good laugh

I'm seriously considering one of the cheap uberbling DHGate monsters. Am researching as we speak. But I don't want to end up with something non-functional, or lacking a Rolex badge. This one would fit the bill but it doesn't seem to have a real chronograph. http://www.dhgate.com/product/hot-sell-2014-best-quality-luxury-mens-automatic/187576384.html#s1-5-1b;searl|1220345785

As much as I absolutely hate the Gaytona that seems to have a couple of things right. Chrono second appears to be frozen with only small seconds at 6 running, this is the best movement configuration for a daytona rep! Also has the endlinks for the strap

Xpletiv

Wtf! No it doesn't!

Genius
Wtf! No it doesn't!

Hey!... I didn't say it looked good or that I liked it in fact was still pointing out its awfulness but... You surely gotta agree it's less awful than the Gaytona.

Undinist

As much as I absolutely hate the Gaytona that seems to have a couple of things right. Chrono second appears to be frozen with only small seconds at 6 running, this is the best movement configuration for a daytona rep! Also has the endlinks for the strap

Is that because they've used a photo of the gen watch? It all seems much too good to be true...the diamonds in the bezel, the sub-dials, the colours...it all looks identical to the gen watch, to my noob eyes.

Undinist
Wtf! No it doesn't!

Hey!... I didn't say it looked good or that I liked it in fact was still pointing out its awfulness but... You surely gotta agree it's less awful than the Gaytona.

Excuse me, the Gaytona is the one with the rainbow bezel! You need a different term of abuse for the Leopard!

RepGuy

Is that because they've used a photo of the gen watch? It all seems much too good to be true...the diamonds in the bezel, the sub-dials, the colours...it all looks identical to the gen watch, to my noob eyes.

That's definitely a rep

Genius

No

Just no

Undinist

That's definitely a rep

Could you point out some differences?

RepGuy

That's definitely a rep

1. The bezel gems are dull and look like colored glass vs the vibrant ones in the gen

2. Leopard print strap looks like cheap plastic

3. Scuffed/damaged case in second picture

4. Gold color looks off compared to gen

5. Do you really think the DHGate seller would get his hands on a gen Gaytona to take pictures of

For a cheap watch, what do you expect

ag69

I think you meant 'the most ugliest'!!

GenTLe

I think only APs with leather straps looks half decent with diamonds (and the SS one is better than this in gold):

1437591018.jpg

Pauli363

that is mingin'

Xpletiv

Drop the vernacular.

Undinist

That's definitely a rep

1. The bezel gems are dull and look like colored glass vs the vibrant ones in the gen

5. Do you really think the DHGate seller would get his hands on a gen Gaytona to take pictures of

I'm not convinced. If you do a side by side comparison with photos of the gen, can you really see these differences? I reckon the damage to the case could be just a reflection. And the guy could have just lifted photos of a gen from the web. He's now told me that the chrono is faux, but it looks real to Genius.

Moondustesp

WHY is this thread still here!

Kleen™

You're obviously not Genius, Pretty fucking far from it, to be a bit more specific...;)

Genius

That's definitely a rep

I'm not convinced. If you do a side by side comparison with photos of the gen, can you really see these differences? I reckon the damage to the case could be just a reflection. And the guy could have just lifted photos of a gen from the web. He's now told me that the chrono is faux, but it looks real to Genius.

I never said it was a real chrono.. I stated that the chrono second hand seemed to be frozen as it is in all the photos and the small seconds at 6 appers to be runninng.

There are lots of daytona reps that us this config and they are often considered the best movement to go for as the seconds at 6 a7750 can be very unreliable.

Have you asked the seller for some photos of the actual watch he is selling?

RepGuy

That's definitely a rep

It doesn't matter if I have convinced you or not, as you are knowingly buying a rep either way. Genius basically said that the pictures look like a good movement configuration, not that the watch looked real. A quick way to end this is to ask the seller for pictures of the watch.

A word of wisdom: if you are this hesitant on a watch, it usually means you don't really want it

Undinist

I've asked for pics.

I'm hesitant about this watch because of the faux chrono and the fact that it doesn't have a weekday function. I find it hard to get really keen on any watch without that. (It's why I don't wear my gen B&R Hydromax.)

But the leopard design would be very entertaining, so even with no weekday or chrono I think I really ought to have one in my collection. It's a little bit of history - easily the most OTT, bizarre watch Rolex has ever made IMO. Can you imagine the meeting at which all these sensible Swiss approved the design?

RepGuy
I've asked for pics.

I'm hesitant about this watch because of the faux chrono and the fact that it doesn't have a weekday function. I find it hard to get really keen on any watch without that. (It's why I don't wear my gen B&R Hydromax.)

But the leopard design would be very entertaining, so even with no weekday or chrono I think I really ought to have one in my collection. It's a little bit of history - easily the most OTT, bizarre watch Rolex has ever made IMO. Can you imagine the meeting at which all these sensible Swiss approved the design?

I think Rolex wanted a ridiculous design, hence the limited number of these produced