Sign in to follow this  
sconehead

Rolex 168000 'Transitional' Submariner

sconehead

Well as some of you may know, due to a tax refund I was in the position to have some spare cash and decided to get a gen watch, as with the current market the way it is, there are some great deals to be had. :rolleyes:

Which one to buy? When given the choice you just don't know how hard it is to deliberate. I finally decided to go for a Sub as it was my first rep and I’ve always liked the ‘wear it with anything’ factor.

Which model to go for? Obviously, most of the really rare models are way out of my price range and the prey of seriously rich collectors. I finally decided upon a 'lug-holed’ Sub as I feel they’re more classy, just my opinion mind.

After researching like mad, checking prices etc. I narrowed it down to one model, a 168000. For those of you who aren't familiar, this was the transitional model between the 16800 and the 16610. It was the first 'sapphire' Sub to use 904L rather than 316L stainless for the case, high in nickel content and less prone to pitting over time when exposed to salt water, sweat etc.I believe the new Seadwellers are constructed entirely of 904L now for that reason. It utilises the 3035 cal movement from the 16800 in the new 16610 case and has a gloss tritium dial, tritium hands and pearl.

As I've hinted above this was basically an in-house ‘frankenwatch’ by Rolex which they put out whilst they perfected their new cal 3135 movement further.

Now here's the rub and what made me choose this particular model, it was only produced for around 9 months in 1988. This makes it one of the rarest hi-beat, sapphire crystal modern subs. Whilst asthetically, it's no different to early 16610's, I feel prices, in the future will be very firm, again just my opinion.

I searched the web everyday, looked on E-bay (don’t bother, it’s a minefield) and eventually sourced one for the cheapest price I've seen anywhere to date, it really does pay to be patient.

It arrived yesterday and is still bang on time since I set it to my radio controlled clock, a real achievment as it’s only been serviced once, in 2004 and is now nearly 21 years old!

To everyone who wonders and asks, yes the bracelet really is the cheapest feeling thing this side of a Timex and exactly like that on our Sub reps...

Now for some pics,

The usual wrist shots,

002key.jpg

004vpl.jpg

First things first, like I do for every rep I’ve ever bought, a gen is no different, crack the caseback to make sure I got what I paid for,

rolexsubmariner16800000.jpg

A few close-ups of the movement,

A close up of the caseback, notice it’s numbered 16800, research has told me that it’s correct for this watch. Also note the hand engraving which Rolex must do when servicing the watch which confirms the date of it’s last service to that on the paperwork,

a close up of the bracelet and clasp,

rolexsubmariner16800001.jpg

Can anyone explain these hand engravings near the hinge of the clasp?

rolexsubmariner16800001g.jpg

rolexsubmariner16800002.jpg

The serial and model no. are also correct, it has been documented that unscrupulous sellers have added a ‘zero’ to the model no. in an attempt to get more cash for a 16800,

rolexsubmariner16800002f.jpg

rolexsubmariner16800002o.jpg

There are some matte dials used on this model but in the main it used the glossy dial. The WG dial markers cause the glossy dial to have flaking/spidering affect over time, see here http://orchipalar.blogspot.com/2008/05/rol...ansitional.html many have been replaced during servicing along with the hands and bezel inert. Thankfully, this is all original, and is all the better for it IMO.

rolexsubmariner16800003.jpg

rolexsubmariner16800003v.jpg

Finally a few close ups of the cg’s for reference for any modders out there,

rolexsubmariner16800003v.jpg

rolexsubmariner16800004.jpg

Is this the end of my rep collecting? Never, variety is the spice of life and I plan to streamline my collection by selling those that get no wrist time. As ever, there are still plenty of reps out there that deserve my attention...If she’ll let’s me spend anymore that is... :D

p.s. Hope I got all the facts right and anyone know what age a watch has to be before being considered vintage? :P ;)

oscarmadfish

great pics and great looking watch enjoy

greg_r

Congrats, Sconehead - looks like you did real well! I agree - I think that's going to hold its value better than most. Enjoy! :rolleyes:

jameo210369

Wow Sconehead she is amazing; the pics are awesome. Not a Rolex fan but she is amazing, money well spent.

Bring on Fulham

RolexAddict

By Tor and his masturbator fan club will say its a fake,

fonts, crown, etc... everything looks vrong,

:) OKE, I am far away

:vomit:

I forgot, the pearl. The pearl is not good. I confirm, its a .........

gen. I hope so.

:lol:

Edited by RolexAddict

RolexAddict

I am just kidding,

but admit: some reps like those from WATCHMAKER9 looks more perfect than gens, this is becoming a big psy problematic,

who is right ? who is vrong ? what to do ? what to buy ?

WHO HAS THE REAL SUPERIOR BEST SUPER ULTIMATE FANTASTIC SUB ?????????

(who has the bigger dick ?) :suicide::lol:

still kidding, and.... lot of :bottle::morebeer::Drinking2::Drinking2:

greg_r
I am just kidding,

but admit: some reps like those from WATCHMAKER9 looks more perfect than gens, this is becoming a big psy problematic,

who is right ? who is vrong ? what to do ? what to buy ?

WHO HAS THE REAL SUPERIOR BEST SUPER ULTIMATE FANTASTIC SUB ?????????

(who has the bigger dick ?) :bottle::lol:

still kidding, and.... lot of :Drinking2::morebeer::Drinking2::morebeer:

lol - I must confess I have been thinking along similar lines - but then I've had a lousy day and have been drinking rather more than is my usual habit.... :morebeer:

:suicide:

solkryssare

Bloody perfection that is! Wow! You have your self a Grail there my friend. Nothing less. And amazing pictures as well

solkryssare

Oh and I have no idea what those engravings on the clasp are. Where is alligoat when you need him:)

Pentax

Fantastic looking Watch you bought Sconehead

I hope that you enjoy it as being your first Gen!

KBH

Great catch Sconey. I have to say that I'd love to have one of those.

Just in the last day or two I was ready something about those "spider web" dials and they mentioned that they were in high demand. Now, if I can only go back and find it.

Jannis76

Congrats mate! She is a beauty! Wear it in good health!

dingle
Great catch Sconey. I have to say that I'd love to have one of those.

Just in the last day or two I was ready something about those "spider web" dials and they mentioned that they were in high demand. Now, if I can only go back and find it.

great catch a year and a half ago!

pay attention! ;)

KBH

DOH!

Who keeps necroposting this old shit?

sconehead

;)

KB, we were comparing gens in the SB...the place you fear to tread...:bugeyes:

KBH
;)

KB, we were comparing gens in the SB...the place you fear to tread...:yoda:

Next thing you know after being in the SB too much and people start pm'ing you with all their complaints. :bugeyes:

solkryssare

Hello again pretty one!

Member X

Sconey, where did you find out all the geek info like production runs, model variations etc??

sconehead

Sconey, where did you find out all the geek info like production runs, model variations etc??

tssssssssssk...I can't remember...it was years ago...:lol:

jeffw69
:facepalm:

dingle
:popcorn:

J.Eric

Awesome 168000! Congrats and Enjoy!

jeffw69

Awesome 168000! Congrats and Enjoy!

:rofl:

necro post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!