Sign in to follow this  
gardiol

Is it possible to fix or...?

gardiol

Some time ago i bought a replica Tag Heur Grand Carrera calibre 36 with automatic movement from a street dealer in Kuala Lumpur. It was wuite cheap, so i got it.

It seems to be working fine (dont loose or gain time), but if you "shake" it a bit too much the seconds hand will get stuck and need a second "shake" to start again.

This means thats quite useless...

Since i just discovered this forum and i have no past experience on this things, do you think its something that can be fixed somehow? I am also a modder and a homebrew type, so some do-it-yourself is what i am looking for, more than a "its cheaper to buy a new one" answer...

Let me know and thanks in advance!!!

wat44

I wouldnt spend good money after bad...

KeNnY

can you post picture ? so we know what type of movement are we dealing with.

gardiol

ok, how do i open it? Its s dumb question, sorry, but... :)

i am eager to buy some new tools, just for the fun of playing with it :)

KeNnY

best way to train is on cheap watches :)

wat44

there is an RWG shop or go to watchbiz (offshore) you can tgo wrong (until you open the watch)

gardiol

This IS a cheap watch...

i will find a way to open it, then post some pictures.

wat44: i understand what you mean, but i made my bet when buying it knowing that the fun of playing with it could be worth the money, probably more then a working watch.

gardiol

So, i managed to open the watch with the proper tools and remove the movement...

The first tihng i noticed is that one piece was broken and freely moving inside the case: it was that "heavy" piece that turns... (ok, i got no enligh words for these thing whatsoever)... so it is not in the pictures. It seems a locking screw is missing and the big rotating piece is not attached to the movement.

Sorry for the low quality... Do you need better quality pics?

Do you think just to replace the movement would fix the problem? Or it might be with the hands or the overall build?

pictures

Edited by gardiol

KBH

The big piece is the auto winder and it sounds like it just came unscrewed. That's probably what was causing it to stop. You should be able to just put it back on and re-tighten the screw and you'll be good to go.

Unfortunately, trying to find that particular movement, if you need to replace it may be quite difficult. It's not a typical Chinese 21j.

gardiol

The problem is there is not screw to put it back on and it seem so small than i am sure i do not have anything similar at all.

You mean that if i find a way to put the autowinder back on it shoulds not stop? Does the auto winder somehow prevent the movement from stopping in case of sharp movements?