stock10ctsv

Insert jumped off my watch

stock10ctsv

I will be posting pics very shortly but as the title states I had my Gen Pepsi insert jump off my watch today.

Walking through Walmart and glanced down and just about died spent an hour walking and retracing steps to try and locate but no luck. 

I still have the rep insert to put back on but I'm so sad I may just throw it all in a drawer and forget about it.

How easy is it to glue back on?

Diver Dave

Well.... the Gen inserts aren't glued at all into Gen bezels. They just flex and pop in. 

A tube of GS Hypo Cement is the right stuff for insert cementing though. No biggie. Might be cheaper to toss the thing into the mail though and I'll glue an insert on for free versus paying for a tube of cement that you'll never use again. Happy to help, as are I'm sure a bunch of other guys here. 

Edited by Diver Dave

stock10ctsv

So here is an update. I went back to the Walmart to look again for the insert not expecting to find it. After 2 minutes of searching I found it!! So now just to get this sucker put back on. I am so excited!!

RepGuy
22 minutes ago, stock10ctsv said:

So here is an update. I went back to the Walmart to look again for the insert not expecting to find it. After 2 minutes of searching I found it!! So now just to get this sucker put back on. I am so excited!!

Where was it hiding?

Diver Dave
5 hours ago, stock10ctsv said:

Walmart sells GS Hypo Cement.... ;-)

stock10ctsv

The insert was about 5 inches under a shelf.

Diver Dave I think the glue used previously was a cheap substitute. I was able to remove it with little effort and rubbing alcohol.

WatchDog21

You are very lucky to have found it!  I had an insert pop off of a watch before and the dog chewed it before I found it.  :dog:

Nikosaldente
11 minutes ago, cmdErrX said:

You are very lucky to have found it!  I had an insert pop off of a watch before and the dog chewed it before I found it.  :dog:

:rofl:

stock10ctsv
4 hours ago, NCRich said:

You should use double stick tape.  That is what the rep factory uses.  More forgiving than hypo cement.  Its all I use and I put a lot of inserts on.  This but the 1/8th inch is better.  I cut the 1/4 in half.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQ55ZQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So what you're saying is that the hypo cement is a lot more "permanent"?

How does that double sided stuff hold up? If I decide to use that tape do I have to apply all the way around the ring or just in a few spots?

NCRich

No hypo cement is more fragile.   A shock can break the bond.  Its really not that strong of a cement.  I generally put 5 one quarter inch pieces around the bezel, then press the insert in place.  Its not going anywhere then, but it is relatively simple to take off.  That is the beauty of it.

Diver Dave

^^ It all depends on the bezel design actually. Where there's a good flat surface to adhere to, hypo cement works really well. If there's a void of any sort under the insert it's "less good". I've done dozens upon dozens of flat Seiko inserts with the glue and zero problems ever. The (incorrectly shaped) concave ceramic Rolex inserts that guys try to use on Seiko bezels don't like the stuff. I've never done a Rolex-style insert with it, and Rich is probably right in that application. The bad part of the tape is that you don't get a chance to really adjust the pip location "perfectly" on ratcheting bezels. on non-ratcheting ones (Vintage Rolex) that's not a problem. So it's different strokes for different folks I guess. With that said, "Thanks" to Rich for the lead on the tape.  I'll add a roll to the inventory here. I mean, 36 YARDS of the stuff for $10? Holy cow...

Edited by Diver Dave

nuvolablue
On 8/22/2017 at 18:35, NCRich said:

You should use double stick tape.  That is what the rep factory uses.  More forgiving than hypo cement.  Its all I use and I put a lot of inserts on.  This but the 1/8th inch is better.  I cut the 1/4 in half.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQ55ZQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Perfect. Thanks.

tripdog123

The rumour going around is the insert didn't jump - it was pushed. . . .

narikaa

Rep factories usually have pre punched circles of double sided 'tape' on sheets

IMG_0223.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0224.JPG?raw=1

narikaa
6 minutes ago, tripdog123 said:

The rumour going around is the insert didn't jump - it was pushed. . . .

Well it was Walmart

prolly had something to do with the gravitational 'pull' of some of the critters in there

GenTLe

I always use this one for such things:

907780.jpg

because:

1) it is STRONG, meaning that you need just 4 very small drops of this, reducing the risk of spreading it around (it is so strong that keeps 300kg/cm2 = 4267lb/square inch

2) it dries in 24h, and you can work on the positioning of the parts for like 30 minutes, giving you the time to properly put the things together in the proper way.

trailboss99

Guys GS-hypo is designed for gluing in crystals not holding inserts. If it won't snap in then Araldite the damn thing in there! 

narikaa

If Epoxy and two-stage adhesives seem a bit severe and irrevocable.

yet GS Hypo somehow is unfulfilling 

Don't overlook E6000 glue (Its like GS Hypo on 'roids)

IMG_0225.JPG?raw=1

TRANSPORTER

Just a quick one, how does the tape hold up to water? Only saying as watches and water etc etc, i have a roll of double sided that i use for the odd job but I’m a glue man for bezel inserts if they need it, and only because of the fact that my watches tend to be submerged in water for quite a lot of their lives

trailboss99

I'd have my doubts about how well that tape works wet. In theory it will but like anything else made to a price in China . . .

loewenzahn
On 27.12.2017 at 09:55, narikaa said:

If Epoxy and two-stage adhesives seem a bit severe and irrevocable.

re irrevocable: In hot / boiling water or hot air, epoxy and two-component glued parts are detachable !

10:10 Watch Repair
On 12/29/2017 at 06:38, loewenzahn said:

re irrevocable: In hot / boiling water or hot air, epoxy and two-component glued parts are detachable !

That's true, the rep factories tell you not to wash your hands in boiling water. 

stock10ctsv

I still have not repaired the watch as of yet. Been wearing my gen Tudor BBB. 

I have been tossing around the idea of selling the watch from this post though since I have been too lazy to fix it.

Ksaeed721

luckily you found it :thumbsup: