Sign in to follow this  
P_Diddy

tube on Panerai Crown

P_Diddy

I have done a search and can't find anything on how to perform the following Mod before anyone Jumps in on this thread!

Thanks to HD on his wonderful CG tutorial where I have plagiarised the following photos for illustration purposes.

Both PAMs are handwind movement and there appears to be some inconsistencies in manufacturing by the factories.

The "bit" I'm referring to it the part of the tube that the thread sits in.

The 1st pic shows the tube protruding from the watchcase 'too much'

The 2nd pic shows the tube flush to the watchcase, "perfect"

QUESTION for all you modders out there, how can I modify that part of the tube so the Crown sits FLUSH against the watch case?

All discussion and tips would be welcomed.

This will be my first steps in modding

4187d85c.jpg

b02261d1.jpg

Edited by P_Diddy

greg_r

That second pic is misleading due to the angle of the shot. The crown on the autos tend to sit flush. The crown on the handwinds don't.

P_Diddy

I have seen the crown on Getat handwinds sit flush

so my question is how can I modify the tube so the crown sits flusher, at the moment its bang on halfway between watchcase and inner edge of CG.

Constructive advice always welcome.

That second pic is misleading due to the angle of the shot. The crown on the autos tend to sit flush. The crown on the handwinds don't.

prestigewatchco

Big job the easy way is to buy a matched tube and crown with a thicker crown. Otherwise you have to modify the crown guard which is difficult. You need to shorten the stem as well but you have to get it right otherwise you will have problems changing the time and winding.

greg_r

They're still not actually flush, but they can sit a lot closer. As Robert says, it's a big job. If you use the existing crown, you're also going to have to either modify or replace the crown guard as the crown is only close to the case when the lever is pressing the crown into the o-ring that makes the watch waterproof. The real issue is that a lot of crowns are too thin.

P_Diddy

what are the prices for a pair of "Matched tube and THICKER Crown"?

The top of the "matched Tube" is SHORTER than the existing tube on my recently acquired PAM 111 from Robert?

Does the existing "STEM" need to be shortened and by how much, how do you gauge this?

Will fitting a new TUBE be straightforward, Im starting to get into modding more....

Cheers

PD.

P_Diddy

I was in Burlington arcade and 'handled' 3 genuine PAM handwind including a PAM 111.

All three handwind PAMs had a small gap between watch case and Crown, for all intended purposes it was 'almost 'flush.

There was no discernible gap and I also had a go at handwinding the genuine movement and it feels so smooth like turning the crown to set the time compared to ratcheting feeling when winding Asian Unitas movements!

Anyway I digress and THERE WAS NO DISCERNIBLE GAP between watchcase and Crown for Genuine PAM handwind.

I include Mulders' pic and my watch looks exactly the same and the Crown is BANG in the middle between watch case and inner edge of Crown guard.

After studying the 3 genuine handwind PAMs I conclude for Rep PAM handwinds the the top of the tube PROTRUDES too much from watch case and the Crown does not sit enough over the top of the tube. In fact the top of the gen tube is shorter and a different shape more like a hexagonal short nut if that makes sense!

Crown on rep PAM 111 NOT close to being FLUSH

Any other advice other than 'matched tube and Crown"/

It seems the problem that the Crown does not "sit enough" over the top of tube when the Crown is depressed in?

Advice and comments please

They're still not actually flush, but they can sit a lot closer. As Robert says, it's a big job. If you use the existing crown, you're also going to have to either modify or replace the crown guard as the crown is only close to the case when the lever is pressing the crown into the o-ring that makes the watch waterproof. The real issue is that a lot of crowns are too thin.