Sign in to follow this  
gottahaverolex

Project: restoring my Dad's Hamilton thin-o-matic PICS

gottahaverolex

My Dad died about seven years ago now. After he died my mom and I went through his dresser and found a 1960 Hamilton thin-o-matic stainless steel, silver dial Swiss automatic watch he had bought before they got married. She wanted me to have it as well as all his other watches, tie tacks and little keepsakes he aquired over the years. It's special in a few ways, the first being that the Hamilton watch company was based right here in my home town of Lancaster, Pennsylvania and also that he wore the watch through his entire tour of duty in the US Navy during Vietnam. My Dad and I had a awesome relationship throughout my entire life. He was a wonderful man and I miss him terribly. He and my Mom adopted me because they couldn't have children because childhood polio had left him sterile. I couldn't have ever wished for a better father and friend to raise me and love me. In his honor I'm finally going to spend the money to have it restored. I just spent the past 3 hours cleaning it as best I could. The crystal is badly scratched so that needs replaced. The movement is 50 years old and still runs perfectly but I'm going to have it completely serviced and a new mainspring installed. It needs some polishing to get it back to looking 100% and a new band as the old one was toast. I will post pics of my progress tomorrow morning. Sorry I don't have before pics but I just decided to start this project tonight and didn't have the thought to shoot pics before I started. Sorry for being so long winded but this means a lot to me and I wanted to share with all of you. There will be lots of pics along the way and will probably be a month or so until it's completed. That is all for now....

Edited by gottahaverolex

NFleischer

Nice story GHR, good luck with the project.

scope

Sounds like a great and special watch. Would love to see before and after pics.

Ska

Looking forward to seeing this one bud.

I'm sure your dad would be very proud. Sounds like a wonderful guy. :unsure:

Ska

Looking forward to seeing this one bud.

I'm sure your dad would be very proud. Sounds like a wonderful guy. :unsure:

gottahaverolex

Thanks guys :unsure: I forgot to mention it's 38mm. Way smaller than I'm accustomed to wearing but I think it'll look amazing when finished.

gottahaverolex

And the pics after a good cleaning:

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

gottahaverolex

The design of this watch was that of a one piece case and a pressed crystal. This means you have to remove the crystal, disconnect the two piece stem and take the movement out the front of the watch. I do not have the appropriate crystal puller to do this job myself so I'm going to leave it up to a watchsmith. The hands have a bit of green corrosion on them so I'm going to have him completely clean the hands and dial as well as service the movement. The case was in bad shape and the spring bars were bent and unusable. A cape cod cloth really took 50 years of shit off of this thing and I'm quite happy with my efforts so far. Service will cost aroung $150 plus $40 for the crystal and not sure about the cleaning of the rest of the watch yet (may be part of the servicing for all I know). Dropping it off on Tuesday. Going with a new black crock strap I think. I know if anyone will appreciate this project YOU guys will. ;) Oh! almost forgot, fully wound it last night and it hasn't lost ANY time since then. I'd say that's pretty awesome for a 50 year old, never serviced movement!

Edited by gottahaverolex

scope

Is it a crystal or plexi? if it's plexi it can be sanded and polished.

offshore

It will be a plexi! Its true that it could be sanded and polished, but a brand new one just somehow always looks better and should only be a few $$.

I have a few for Hamiltons in stock..if I knew the exact diam I could be sure I have one, so if your watch guy has any probs, just send me a size.

Offshore

gottahaverolex

It will be a plexi! Its true that it could be sanded and polished, but a brand new one just somehow always looks better and should only be a few $$.

I have a few for Hamiltons in stock..if I knew the exact diam I could be sure I have one, so if your watch guy has any probs, just send me a size.

Offshore

Definitely plexi, just using "crystal" as a generic term.

Offshore, I will definitely let you know if the watchsmith has any issues getting me a crystal. I would hope not since these watches were made right here in my home town and his place specializes in Rolex and Hamilton. Thanks for the offer! Just incase, I'll measure the the "crystal" so you can check to see if you have one. Thanks guys!

KeNnY

gottahaverolex amazing ! I hope you will fishing this project :D good luck ! I will be looking here often, for new pictures :)

Nisv

Thanks for sharing GHR, good luck with restoring the watch :D

gottahaverolex

Dropped the watch off today. $250 for a full overhaul, $40 for a crystal. More than I thought it would be. Watch was running dry but movement is in excellent shape he said. Gaining 14 secs a day. He tells me all this in 5 minutes. this guy is no joke and knows his shit! He said he'll have it for 12 weeks!!!!! Wtf!!!! ???? Excellence is worth waiting for I guess, he is the best around. Updates in 3 months I guess lol!

Edited by gottahaverolex

David543

Marvelous story GHR, thanks for sharing both that and the pi Pictures. Sounds like the watchmaker really knows his stuff. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Edited by David543

dingle

I can't believe I missed this thread. great story and awesome project :solkry:

gottahaverolex

He also told me that it has a Buren micro rotor movement which of all the movements that Hamilton used it was the best AND rarest they used! I found this pretty cool! The bad thing is parts for Buren movements do not exist. Hardest to find hands down. BUT!.... he said it shouldnt be an issue as my movement was in perfect condition, with no loosness in the rotor which is common. He said that the fact it is 50 years old and still runs, winds and only gains 14 seconds a day means the movement is will likely run another 50 after the overhaul. This makes me happy. Picked out a 18mm black stitched croc strap while I was there too. I can't wait to get this back :Whistle:

gottahaverolex
I can't believe I missed this thread. great story and awesome project :Whistle:

Thanks dingle. I've had this watch since he died 7 years ago and it just now dawned on me I need to do this project. My mom cried when I told her about it. Pretty damn awesome

RacingSnake

It's a great story and a great project. Good luck with it. Look forward to seeing it when it comes back.