compass upgrade

debian

I upgraded my watch with a compass....

pretty flipping ugly :-)

9ad6e54f.jpg

NFleischer

well that's.... interesting?

debian

If you don't have a cool gadget like this but want to know witch way is north you can use your watch anyway.

*take of watch from the wrist

*position the watch so the hour hand points towards the sun, with the face of the watch pointing up.

*between 12 on the dial and the hour hand is north. approximately.... if you are on the north side of the globe.

good luck :boobies3:

Greenhat
If you don't have a cool gadget like this but want to know witch way is north you can use your watch anyway.

*take of watch from the wrist

*position the watch so the hour hand points towards the sun, with the face of the watch pointing up.

*between 12 on the dial and the hour hand is north. approximately.... if you are on the north side of the globe.

good luck :boobies3:

Get an iphone 4 ,cool compass

jdoe
good luck :)

Too bloody difficult.

Easier solution:

1. Get a 24hr watch

2. Point hour hand to sun

3. Noon position points to south

Note> That is solar noon, not the govt imposed one. Hence you have to know local solar noon, which you can find if you know the meridian you happen to be on. Each degree you are away from you local timezone meridian adjusts 4mins. Of course if you happen to be in the getting out of bed a little earlier (or later) because your govt told you so (ie summer time) it screws things up even more and you have to add or substract another hour. :boobies3:

PS. Ofourse with the cool compass of yours you can work that backwards (provided it doesn't always point towards that chunk of iron next to it) to figure out the meridian based on what time it is, or so some old sailor claimed. He even had the nerve to suggest that watches were not made to tell the time, but to tell your position.

What nonsense! I bloody well know where I am, I just don't know what time it is. On the other hand I don't know what time IS either.

Edited by jdoe

Greenhat

Ok , just get this>>>>>>>Suunto X10 Military GPS Watch SS014006010

debian

Anyone familiar with the method I describe.

I have tried it a couple of times..... but sometimes i get north as south and the opposite. :-)

Anyone that knows about this stuff care to explain?

Nisv

I'd love to have a sundial wristwatch with an integrated compass.

No need for any batteries, adjustments, service, reluming, just some sunshine, that's all ;)

jdoe
Anyone familiar with the method I describe.

I have tried it a couple of times..... but sometimes i get north as south and the opposite. :-)

Anyone that knows about this stuff care to explain?

Some thinking may help.

Hint: 6 in the morning the suns id often to the East, at noon it is sometimes seen to the south (or North depending on your circumstances), at 6 it may be spotted to the west, and there are some weirdos in far away lands that claim to spot the thing to the North at 12 midnight and even smaller number of weirdos say it is to be seen to the South at 12 Midnight(however these are unconfirmed sightings)

Now make a drawing :lmao2:

PS. Starting with a 24hr watch drawing may help.