Sign in to follow this  
Stormcrow

Watch running fast

Stormcrow

I have recently purchased a Rolex DJII from timesshop.

The watch was sold saying it has an Asian ETA movement.

It appears to be running fast. It gains 25 seconds over 12 hours - about 6 minutes a week! (a tad too much to be acceptable I think)

Is there any soloution to this?

millerjohn

To my understanding plus/minus a half a minute a day (some say even more) is really acceptable for a mechanic watch. As long as it is not much more it can be easily fixed - take a look here:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Your_automatic_w...ou_slow_it_down

You are really screwed if it goes sometimes faster sometimes slower...

John

Stormcrow
To my understanding plus/minus a half a minute a day (some say even more) is really acceptable for a mechanic watch. As long as it is not much more it can be easily fixed - take a look here:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Your_automatic_w...ou_slow_it_down

You are really screwed if it goes sometimes faster sometimes slower...

John

Thank you for your reply John.

It would be running about 50-60 seconds fast a day.

It is supposed to be new, would it still require cleaning?

also, when i take it up to my ear, it makes a bit of a clunking noise, before going back to the normal fast tick tick tick...

does this suggest a deeper problem? or just a service?

millerjohn

Right, a day has 24h and sometimes even longer when I'm working... where's my head

I am much a noob with watches but a cluncking noise sounds not very healthy... and you are sure it is not the movement?

It should not need a service when you just bought it, I would say. Did you ask for a video before shipment with the watchmeter thing with witch they check amplitude accuracy etc.?

Do you have a possibility of opening it savely? maybe some closeups can give some pros on this board valuable hints.

Stormcrow
Right, a day has 24h and sometimes even longer when I'm working... where's my head

I am much a noob with watches but a cluncking noise sounds not very healthy... and you are sure it is not the movement?

It should not need a service when you just bought it, I would say. Did you ask for a video before shipment with the watchmeter thing with witch they check amplitude accuracy etc.?

Do you have a possibility of opening it savely? maybe some closeups can give some pros on this board valuable hints.

I asked for QC pics, but only got a single pic.

They didn't show me a watchmetere pic or a video.

I have no idea what it could be, could be the movement as you say.

I have no experience in opening watches. I'll try and search around, can anyone point me in the right direction for a simple tutorial?

Found a tutorial here: (http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3545&hl=open+rolex) but no idea on popping the back case.

Edited by Stormcrow

Del

TS don't send videos of timing tests as routine, not even sure they test them.

This does sound a bit fast for an Asian ETA, they are normally very accurate. Sounds like it might need regulating so you could either email TS about it (which may result in it having to go back to them) or you could get someone more local to do it.

As for the clunking noise, it is probably just the rotor turning that you can hear. If it was loose it wouldn't auto wind and would sound like a bag of bolts when you shake it.

Stormcrow
TS don't send videos of timing tests as routine, not even sure they test them.

This does sound a bit fast for an Asian ETA, they are normally very accurate. Sounds like it might need regulating so you could either email TS about it (which may result in it having to go back to them) or you could get someone more local to do it.

As for the clunking noise, it is probably just the rotor turning that you can hear. If it was loose it wouldn't auto wind and would sound like a bag of bolts when you shake it.

Thank you for replying Del.

I think it makes sense for it to be the rotor noise while the watch is being moved from horizonal on my arm to vertical near my ear. and the noise stops straight away.

I don't know anyone local, so it would be a case of doing it myself, or sending it back?

millerjohn

:) STOP! Don't scratch it! - I rather had a watch that is off a minute a day than totally scratched on the back!

And honestly a minute is really not too bad, my old rep submarina is 3 mins of a day but since I wear it only once or twice a week I don't really care that much (and also because I just paid 35)

Stormcrow
:) STOP! Don't scratch it! - I rather had a watch that is off a minute a day than totally scratched on the back!

And honestly a minute is really not too bad, my old rep submarina is 3 mins of a day but since I wear it only once or twice a week I don't really care that much (and also because I just paid 35)

I think mine was ~$160.

Its a bit too fast for my liking as i wear it everyday.

Going to think about it for a few days. thanks for you advice John.

Del

Stormcrow, I wouldn't try to do anything yourself unless you know what you're doing. I'd live with the minute a day until I found someone to regulate it.

Perhaps a local watch repairer might look at it for you? (Not an Authorised Dealer!)

Stormcrow
Stormcrow, I wouldn't try to do anything yourself unless you know what you're doing. I'd live with the minute a day until I found someone to regulate it.

Perhaps a local watch repairer might look at it for you? (Not an Authorised Dealer!)

Is there any way of checking I have an asian ETA without opening the watch.

Del

It should have a nice smooth sweep second hand - eight beats per second, you can almost count them if you look closely. An Asian 21j movement (the cheaper one) only has six beats per second and is not as smooth. The gen Rolex has eight beats per second exactly like the Asian ETA.

Stormcrow

It should have a nice smooth sweep second hand - eight beats per second, you can almost count them if you look closely. An Asian 21j movement (the cheaper one) only has six beats per second and is not as smooth. The gen Rolex has eight beats per second exactly like the Asian ETA.

It feels like 5-6 per second.

Would the difference be obvious if i managed to get the back off just to look?

If the back comes off with sticky balls - could it be done with gaffa tape or something?

millerjohn

If you have another mechanic watch at home of which you know the bps then hold one watch at one ear and the other one at the other - works for me to hear the difference between the cheapy rolex and my new beloved GMTII.

I would say, just by looking at it you can't really tell the difference unless it is a 18,500bpm. And since these things can make us very emotional, you might see what you (don't) want to see.

If you use the sticky method make sure you don't remove the rolex sticker on the back. :)

Still, I would suggest as Del earlier, just get in touch with your dealer before trying anything yourself. I am sure he is willing to help.

Edited by millerjohn

Stormcrow
If you have another mechanic watch at home of which you know the bps then hold one watch at one ear and the other one at the other - works for me to hear the difference between the cheapy rolex and my new beloved GMTII.

If you use the sticky method make sure you don't remove the rolex sticker on the back. :)

Still, I would suggest as Del earlier, just get in touch with your dealer before trying anything yourself. I am sure he is willing to help.

I dont even have a sticker on the back! its just the plain back...

does it literall just pull off with the sticky method?

Edit: seems to a suction ball - not a sticky ball as the name indicates.

Edited by Stormcrow

millerjohn

I tried it once, but without success.

millerjohn

Actually that is a good question, it seems not all rep rolex have a sticker on the back (also the expensive ones), why actually?

Stormcrow

I don't have a suction ball so won't be able to remove the back.

Need to somehow determine its a ETA not a 21J.

Can't count the seconds really either.

Del

The caseback unscrews - the "sticky" ball just gives you some grip to unscrew the back without the correct tool. A ball of gaffa or duck tape can also work. (Best split the bracelet first by removing a screw so you can get better access to the caseback.)

If you can open the back and post a photo of the movement then someone will be able to tell you what it is.

Don't worry about the Rolex sticker - they come off once you start wearing them and mean absolutely nothing ;)

If you don't want to or can't open it then posting a good quality video might enable us to look at the sweep, but it'll have to be close-up and not jumpy otherwise you'll never be able to tell if it's 21j or ETA.

David543

Really it is possible to count the beats between the seconds. I can count the 8 and the 6 per second so if I can anyone can!

Dragonscape

If its just a minute a day, don't worry, just buy more watches and rotate the stock

with enough watches you will have to set the time each morning before your day gets started

solkryssare

If you dont want to take the back off,just take a close up picture of the sec hand with a 1 sec shutter time. Then you can clearly see the beat rate. There are lots of people who can fix it for you, where are you?

greg_r
Actually that is a good question, it seems not all rep rolex have a sticker on the back (also the expensive ones), why actually?

Rolex quit using the sticker, so not all reps are coming with them these days.

Stormcrow
If you dont want to take the back off,just take a close up picture of the sec hand with a 1 sec shutter time. Then you can clearly see the beat rate. There are lots of people who can fix it for you, where are you?

I don't mind taking off the back but don't have a suction ball.

I contacted timeshop and they said 1 min is normal.

My brother has borrowed my SLR so can't even take that pic.

solkryssare

If you are in EU or US there are a lot of people you can send it to mate. I wouldn't say 1 min is normal and it would bug me....