Thommo82

Watch Cabinet Project

iabounty

A spray can of 3M adhesive would be a quick and safe way to glue on the felt. I used the stuff all the time at the GM dealership and have several at home that just happened to come home in the bottom drawer of the toolbox roll cab when I retired..............:Whistle:

Thommo82
6 hours ago, Griffo said:

This is gonna be awesome. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Cant believe you're allowed knives though...

What you can't see in the pics is my missus supervising my knife wielding 

6 hours ago, Xpletiv said:

Don't forget to make the slots in the foam a little bigger before you add the felt.

Good point, I haven't fucked anything up yet, but I'm sure I will 

3 hours ago, narikaa said:

If your shelves have the height go with transparent  'C' Stands

A row of watches all angled the same will out stun those lay down cushions (I reckon you should get half a doz on each shelf)

Then if you really want to show boat your watches, a mirror to the back of the inside

;)

Great advice Reg, I hadn't thought about those 'C' stands.

I might actually drop the height of the bottom shelf to compensate as I really like that idea. 

Mirrored back you say? Fuck yeah! 

Thommo82
2 hours ago, iabounty said:

A spray can of 3M adhesive would be a quick and safe way to glue on the felt. I used the stuff all the time at the GM dealership and have several at home that just happened to come home in the bottom drawer of the toolbox roll cab when I retired..............:Whistle:

Good idea

I had the hot glue gun out last night but didn't get around to doing any felt work. I was a bit worried about it leaving ridges or showing through

McGilli
45 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

Good idea

I had the hot glue gun out last night but didn't get around to doing any felt work. I was a bit worried about it leaving ridges or showing through

Yeah that spray adhesive is awesome stuff. I made a vocal box for singing out of a huge plastic tub - then used the spray to stick sound dampening foam - was my first time with that spray - and now it's a no brainer for glueing material down. 

Just don't spray it on anything you don't want it on - it seriously can make shit sticky and be a pain in the ass to get off. Looking forward to the finished project.

Thommo82
21 minutes ago, McGilli said:

Yeah that spray adhesive is awesome stuff. I made a vocal box for singing out of a huge plastic tub - then used the spray to stick sound dampening foam - was my first time with that spray - and now it's a no brainer for glueing material down. 

Just don't spray it on anything you don't want it on - it seriously can make shit sticky and be a pain in the ass to get off. Looking forward to the finished project.

Yep, I'm gonna get me some 

McGilli
1 hour ago, Thommo82 said:

Yep, I'm gonna get me some 

Awesome- yeah I think what I'm trying to say is right after you use that stuff - don't go take a piss or you'll come out of there with your dick stuck in your hand and - I'm going to guess that Australia, like Canada - frowns on guys walking around town like that!

Or just wear gloves :)

Thommo82
4 minutes ago, McGilli said:

Awesome- yeah I think what I'm trying to say is right after you use that stuff - don't go take a piss or you'll come out of there with your dick stuck in your hand and - I'm going to guess that Australia, like Canada - frowns on guys walking around town like that!

Or just wear gloves :)

Might spray some on my missus mouth 

Stewart

I love projects like this. I wish I time to do them!

Thommo82
1 minute ago, Stewart said:

I love projects like this. I wish I time to do them!

I don't have time

Thats why I'm three weeks in an have only gotten this far! 

Thommo82

@narikaa

Hey Reg I found these little suckers on the bay, thanks for the tip 

IMG_8791.png

narikaa

Hard to tell if they are clear or coloured...the clear /transparent ones are hands down better

(and probably threepence a hundredweight at AliEx etc ;) )

e.g. :   https://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/search.do?act=search&sus=&searchkey=watch+display+stands+wholesale&catalog=#Homesearch201403

(now I must go and finish teaching grandma to suck eggs)

Thommo82
3 minutes ago, narikaa said:

Hard to tell if they are clear or coloured...the clear /transparent ones are hands down better

(and probably threepence a hundredweight at AliEx ;) )

They do look black....

Clear ones available too, $1 each

Ill check Ali too 

McGilli

This is good stuff.  Right now I only have Invicta watch boxes - which I like since they're bomb proof. But - then they are out of sight, and out of mind. Too lazy to always open the cases etc.... But watching you do this... I think I can free up a small drawer to make something similar.

Actually - being single I think I can do away with everything in the kitchen drawer with the cutlery haha. That would be hilarious - watches on display where the knives and forks usually are. Good April fools joke on the ladies too :) "Honey I'll set the table" and while she's dishing the food she sees you trying on watches at the counter - getting just the right one for that meal.

narikaa

Mmm

should have her outta the door in a heartbeat

:)

Thommo82
8 minutes ago, McGilli said:

This is good stuff.  Right now I only have Invicta watch boxes - which I like since they're bomb proof. But - then they are out of sight, and out of mind. Too lazy to always open the cases etc.... But watching you do this... I think I can free up a small drawer to make something similar.

Actually - being single I think I can do away with everything in the kitchen drawer with the cutlery haha. That would be hilarious - watches on display where the knives and forks usually are. Good April fools joke on the ladies too :) "Honey I'll set the table" and while she's dishing the food she sees you trying on watches at the counter - getting just the right one for that meal.

DOOO IITTTTTTT!!

I filled two watch boxes and thought, fuck it, there's gotta be a better way

Thommo82
6 minutes ago, narikaa said:

Mmm

should have her outta the door in a heartbeat

:)

She might beat at 28,800 bph?

narikaa

If not faster ;)

Joking aside any idea that puts your watches at a level below where there's likely to be water / cooking oil / sauces etc.......

Easier better way (once the quick fix of 'C' stands has been realised)

Google "Collector display cabinets"

:clouseaul:

Thommo82
22 minutes ago, narikaa said:

Joking aside any idea that puts your watches at a level below where there's likely to be water / cooking oil / sauces etc.......

This.....

TheSav

If it were me, I'd modify the shelves with drawer runners so they slide out. Whack a double hinge on the doors so they fold right back and Bobs yer uncle! 

narikaa

....and little jewellery box mechanical dancing ballerinas on each corner to operate when opened

sheesh

:facepalm:

Thommo82
40 minutes ago, TheSav said:

If it were me, I'd modify the shelves with drawer runners so they slide out. Whack a double hinge on the doors so they fold right back and Bobs yer uncle! 

I like the idea of the watches being on an angle for display purposes, however I see this as being the first of many watch cabinet projects, each one being more grand. 

No doubt I'll use your drawer runner idea on another project, might even use soft close drawers....

19 minutes ago, narikaa said:

....and little jewellery box mechanical dancing ballerinas on each corner to operate when opened

sheesh

:facepalm:

If you can do a tutorial on setting up the ballerinas I will put one front and centre 

TheSav

Aint nothing wrong with a ballerina. Im sure Reg might even have a couple spare for you :lol:

Thommo82

Pretty sure Reg has a large stock of Regerina's on hand 

Glaude
9 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

thanks for the tip 

Pretty sure you can take it deeper ... :analprobe::D 

FL13

Great thread. Great project.