RepGuy

Favorite Micro Brand

RepGuy

While this may be a rep forum, I know many members have just as many gens as they do reps, and I wanted to get some input on what everyone likes. So what is your current favorite micro brand and model from them? Picture's and additional info is encouraged. 

Mine is currently Helson, specifically with their forged carbon Shark Diver. Miyota 9015, layered carbon, and 2000m of water resistance for under $800.

mszFYh.jpg

Mr_B

That actually looks quite good but for 800 I'd go for something else. There are far too many Kickstarter brands out there so I don't really pay them much attention.

Coopdog

My only two cents on this is don’t buy a micro brand called Leyden; bought one of theirs based on a kickstarter and some positive reviews and it fell far short of expectations. It’s one of the only watches I’ve bought that I’ve just returned. Usually I’ll try to let it grow on me and maybe trade it out later, the Leyden has fit and finish issues that made it unwearable. Your Helson looks pretty awesome I may look into that brand. Any issues?

RepGuy
1 hour ago, Mr_B said:

That actually looks quite good but for 800 I'd go for something else. There are far too many Kickstarter brands out there so I don't really pay them much attention.

That's understandable. I enjoy these micro brands, so I have no problem with their pricing due to the relatively small runs. 

1 hour ago, Coopdog said:

My only two cents on this is don’t buy a micro brand called Leyden; bought one of theirs based on a kickstarter and some positive reviews and it fell far short of expectations. It’s one of the only watches I’ve bought that I’ve just returned. Usually I’ll try to let it grow on me and maybe trade it out later, the Leyden has fit and finish issues that made it unwearable. Your Helson looks pretty awesome I may look into that brand. Any issues?

What fell short for this piece?

cvp3

Don't know if all of these count but I do like; Sharkey, Vratislavia and Helgray. 

TheSav

Kickstarter campaigns aren't really microbrand. 

I've had a few watches from Helson - great quality. 

I think one of the best microbrands though is H2O/Helberg. The H2O designs have their own DNA and a multitude of customizations for under $1000. Great quality and great customer service. 

RepGuy
1 hour ago, TheSav said:

Kickstarter campaigns aren't really microbrand. 

I've had a few watches from Helson - great quality. 

I think one of the best microbrands though is H2O/Helberg. The H2O designs have their own DNA and a multitude of customizations for under $1000. Great quality and great customer service. 

I've been eyeing a used H2O recently, but wasn't entirely sure in the quality.  Thanks for the info

Coopdog

I have heard great things about the H2Os. They look high quality

@RepGuy

The Leyden panda chrono had three major issues for me - 1 the case was really thick and not streamlined at all so it did not wear well especially with the strap it came on. 

2 the strap was absolute trash, basically just throw it out, that bad

3 was the bezel. One of the selling points was the watch had a ceramic rotating bezel ala Rolex submariner. However it is not finished well so instead of having a high polish, it just looks like painted aluminum or steel bezel inserts (and comes with the brittleness of ceramic).  Also the bezel has an unacceptable amount of play both side to side in rotation and up and down like it isn’t fitted to the case properly. I read reviews that said it had a little play, but it’s more than a little it’s a huge and annoying amount. 

fatarms

Not sure if it is considered a MicroBrand or not, but I'd have to go with my JeanRichard Terrascope Nocturnal.

20170630_154653.jpg&key=200b577825629b6a

mascot

G. Gerlach

narikaa

For this to run

Define micro brand

Is it a prestigious low output 'brand' like say F.P.Journe

or

the vast wastelands of cheapo wannabees?

RussP

Speaking of wastelands of cheapo wannabees..................

On a positive note, they haven't broken down and keep perfect time so far.

30887483546_320b600456_b.jpg30620992460_36798d4b89_b.jpg

Griffo
6 hours ago, fatarms said:

Not sure if it is considered a MicroBrand or not, but I'd have to go with my JeanRichard Terrascope Nocturnal.

20170630_154653.jpg&key=200b577825629b6a

That's lovely. Has a vintage vibe about it!

RepGuy
7 hours ago, narikaa said:

For this to run

Define micro brand

Is it a prestigious low output 'brand' like say F.P.Journe

or

the vast wastelands of cheapo wannabees?

I leave the definition loose for this thread to encourage conversation.

McGilli
On 11/12/2017 at 12:06, RepGuy said:

Mine is currently Helson, specifically with their forged carbon Shark Diver. Miyota 9015, layered carbon, and 2000m of water resistance for under $800.

Where do you find it for under $800? They show as starting at $999 and up on their website....

RepGuy
2 hours ago, McGilli said:

Where do you find it for under $800? They show as starting at $999 and up on their website....

Shoot an email to them through their contact page and ask if they will reduce the price. I always send a polite email asking about any upcoming sales or promotions for returning/new customers if I plan to purchase a watch. The worst that can happen is they say no and I buy it for the price I already planned on paying.

You would be surprised how many micro brands offer discounts if you are willing to email them and ask. 

tonyh7

Love that JeanRichard. I googled it and nearly died when I saw one going for $123. Then I saw it was on DH Gate!

roberto

I quite like Gavox, particularly for the quality and £/$ I'm a big fan of the Avidiver.  

20170114_203012.jpg

I also have a liking for some of the Vratislava designs, great value for what they are.

Kleen™

Narikaa makes a good point: I do not give two flying fucks about the wanna-be perfume-brands in crowdfunded watches.

But I do find a lot of the (horologically) interesting micro-brands worthy of my interest....even if often out of my league price-wise...Roger W. Smith from the Isle of Man springs to mind...an heir to the purist traditions of George Daniels.

RepGuy
8 minutes ago, Kleen™ said:

Narikaa makes a good point: I do not give two flying fucks about the wanna-be perfume-brands in crowdfunded watches.

But I do find a lot of the (horologically) interesting micro-brands worthy of my interest....even if often out of my league price-wise...Roger W. Smith from the Isle of Man springs to mind...an heir to the purist traditions of George Daniels.

I steer clear of Kickstarter watches as well due to the relatively cookie cutter designs they usually have. I have found myself looking more into hand made/finished pieces more recently. This doesn't necessarily mean entirely hand made movements and screws, but more hands on than what we get with most micro brands out of China.

GenTLe

I like my Vratislavia and my Gerlach.

I don't have one of these, but also I find them very very nice:

4944b50a7e0a445d7d944922da621dcd.jpg

And I like these too (don't know if they can be considered "micro brand" but still I like them):

vulcain-revolution-dual-time.jpg

fatarms
1 hour ago, roberto said:

I quite like Gavox, particularly for the quality and £/$ I'm a big fan of the Avidiver.  

20170114_203012.jpg

I also have a liking for some of the Vratislava designs, great value for what they are.

I also have one of those, very well made and a great value :)

20170614_074326.jpg&key=073789ee768fe081

Flipper81

I like steinhart if that’s deemed micro I am not sure but obris Morgan watches are amazing but virtually impossible to buy. I picked up one here and it’s a keeper for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RepGuy
1 hour ago, fatarms said:

I also have one of those, very well made and a great value :)

20170614_074326.jpg&key=073789ee768fe081

What's the specifications on this?

Kleen™

^ I would like to know as well. I’m (generally speaking) not a big fan of roman numerals, but when they work (as in aesthetically), they work. And this one does. For me at least. Neat.

Edited by Kleen™