Awesomeo

Nomos Ahoi Atlantik- OS Factory

Awesomeo

I recently had a bit of a change up of my watch wardrobe. I sold a lot of my cheaper gens now the I’ve integrated more reps into my rotation, and was left missing a nice casual summer-style watch. The perfect piece to fill that void? The Nomos Ahoi Atlantik. Another flawless transaction with @Fat Panda from Watchfinder, who offers a competitive price and unbeatable service. 

8UwjbZR.jpg

Dial and Hands

With its paired down retro dial and light, airy strap, the Ahoi is uniquely positioned in Nomos’ lineup as a swimming and activity suited watch. As such, this watch comes with a screw down crown shielded by crown guards. The dial is also slightly larger than its dress counterparts, and gives to an overall greater wrist presence.

9Pjb32R.jpg

CdrcHjv.jpg

0rObo18.jpg

The seconds subdial has a snail-trail texture, which actually looks a lot nicer in the navy colour. There’s a great sunburst effect that catches the light and creates a nice depth the overall look of the watch.

9stkaaE.jpg

RdQv033.jpg

iAgbzMo.jpg

The hands are actually rose-gold coloured, with a very nicely contrasted red seconds hand. The hands themselves could do with a polish – though most marks are only visible on the close up photo’s, there is a slightly noticeable mark roughly half way down the minute hand.

7E8cESu.jpg

VeJnz7k.jpg

9stkaaE.jpg

The dial printing is crisp and has a good depth. This is something OS factory seems to do particularly well, as it was the same on my Tangomat. Perhaps they could lend their technique to V6F for their Tudor range!

oc3LXs8.jpg

Movement

The movement decoration is again nicely executed, but inaccurate. The rotor is also fairly noisy, which was also apparent on the Tangomat. Manual winding however is much more substantial on the Ahoi.

IA9a1HE.jpg

HKSX02x.jpg

Strap

With rep strap, the whole piece comes in at just under 65g, and the comfort of the strap in particular makes this a very unobtrusive wear. You can barely tell it’s on your wrist. The rep strap itself is inoffensive. It’s comfortable enough, and isn’t something you’d have to immediately change before use. However, with the gen strap next to it, the difference in quality is pretty drastic.

jT4Shxn.jpg

The weaving on the gen strap is much tighter, and the material itself is a much tougher and more durable feeling nylon weave. The overall weave pattern is also very different. On the gen strap, the ends are covered in some sort of resin to protect against brushing and fraying.

j7OVVk1.jpg

VbKt8eF.jpg

I’m completely sold on two piece perlon straps. The overall look and fit is fantastic, and the absence of pre-punctured holes means you can get a millimetre perfect fit without unsightly pock marks. The weave has a gentle stretch to it, and feels generally comfortable throughout the day.

ZVSsDJH.jpg

exG6BPe.jpg

Lume

The lume is much, much brighter on the hands than the hour markers. It’s not very long lasting, and I think the colour is different to the gen. Still, it’s there, and the hand-lume is strong enough to reflect off the dial!

36j6kw7.jpg

34t3vCl.jpg

Conclusion

Overall I’d give the rep a 7 out of 10. The movement, lume and dimensions are all major tells, however if accuracy is not important to you it’s a very enjoyable piece to wear, and perfect for warmer weather.

Edited by Awesomeo

S.Corbeil

Can't believe no one commented on this! Lovely watch and great review!

It's been added on my "to buy" list before, but I haven't had the time nor the funds to proceed. Plus, I still hope they will soon rep the Minimatik and Metro lines, someday.

jingo.smile

Great write up, thank you for the great review! 

Awesomeo

Thanks guys!

I've done a bit of digging on the factory and they've pushed a number of revisions to the current lineup. Must be an indicator that they sell well - and there's Rodina of course. I'm hopeful they'll expand and improve the lineup. If they could go to a closed caseback for the hand wound variants it'd really increase the accuracy on the Tangomats at least. 

This one's been taking all of my wrist time since I received it. With the gen strap on it's the most comfortable watch I own by a fair margin, the two piece perlon is great for expanding fit and breathability.

tabuktime

Nicely written post, thanks for the concise review and adding to the community.

artisanalcarft

This is great. Where did you get it from and what type of movement is it? Thx already

RussP

I've got the Rodina version that suffers from the noisy rotor affliction too.

Other than that it is a lovely watch.

My belated thank you for a great review.

Ziggymarly

how noisy are we talking? also interested in this watch

Cs1422

Would be really interested if they could pull off a Metro. Probably in hand wind to avoid the rotor noise. any thoughts on swimming with this?

TxWatchGuy

Great review!  I really want to get one, but I’ve tried TT and Panda and apparently the factory isn’t making the watch anymore. 

If anyone knows where to get one that’d be great. 

Michi_Werner

Great review and nice watch

artisanalcarft

thanks for the great review. If somebody knows of an improved version, please leave some infos. Thanks all.

watchmaker26

How much did you pay for this watch?