McGilli

McGilli's Franck Muller Crazy Color Dreams Review

McGilli

FRANCK MULLER CRAZY COLOR DREAMS REVIEW PART I

For this watch I need to change how I normally do my reviews. This is a different kind of watch, so let’s do something different from the start. There is absolutely no other way you can start a review of this watch. A lumin shot must be shown. BUT - this is a test! Look at the lume shot below - what time is it according to the photo?

16i6zqc.jpg

If you said it is Midnight then you are right! Confused? Be not confused any longer…

3492p94.jpg

If you said it’s 8pm (which most people should) when looking at the lume shot then you really need to read about this watch - it changes the way you tell time on a watch. Literally.

FRANCK MULLER CRAZY COLOR DREAMS REVIEW PART II

I won this watch from Mary (Thank you!) through the RWG birthday bash contests. Now, I will admit. I almost didn’t enter the contest because at first, this watch didn’t look pleasing to me. I’d just gotten a Panerai and a Rolex and this FM looked weird. Crazy even. However, the eccentric part of me said hey it has numerals in a crazy order so why not go for it, it could be fun to show to people - and confuse children. So I entered and was lucky enough to win.

Usually this is where I’d post the specs of the watch, but I’m not going to - as that would give away the surprise hidden inside this watch if you don’t know what it is.

UNPACKING THE WATCH:

Packaging was solid as usual from Mary. Cardboard box inside an EMS bag, and inside was packed tight with styrofoam wrap and the lots of duct tape so there’s no movement on the journey across the world. Watch still had all the plastic wrap on the bracelet.  

5fgobd.jpg

20pedeo.jpg

1q4f2h.jpg

2rc7c52.jpg

29xjlh2.jpg

FRANCK MULLER CRAZY COLOR DREAMS REVIEW PART III

RESIZING THE BRACELET:

The first thing to do is resize the bracelet. My wrist is 7.25” and I had to remove 3 links. This still allows just a bit of play which I like - I do not like tight watches. I love the screw in pins. Those just make it so much easier to remove and replace. I’ve never seen a Gen of this watch, and considering I’m seeing these for about $16,000 I don’t think I ever will. I’ve never had a bracelet which is 5 links across. This was new to me and took a few extra seconds to figure out how to line these up when putting the bracelet back together.

PHOTOS WITH BRACELET REMOVED:

Actually, I did not remove the bracelet this time. Reason being that I should have done this when resizing the bracelet and it was split apart for easy access to the lugs. I didn’t, and trying to get the pins out of the lugs with the bracelet on is too tight - and I didn’t want to scratch anything or try and get it back together after.

FRANCK MULLER CRAZY COLOR DREAMS REVIEW PART IV

WEIGHT & HOW DOES IT LOOK?

When I first got this it felt like a tank, but I had been wearing a sub 100g Ti PAM with leather strap for a week at this point. This is a solid feeling watch - and it’s really hefty in a good way. I actually have some ‘tank like’ Invite watches (gasp!) but I love the heavy solid feeling on them. This is part way there. Feels like a lot of watch for the $. REMINDER: This is the Jumbo version of this watch.

With full links, and with 3 links removed:

mww46c.jpg

o0rkw8.jpg

THE BRACELET:

The clasp has a superb click into locking position and feels strong, yet you don’t need to pry it off to open it. On a few occasions though it takes me an extra few seconds to click the clasp closed, or to open it. I’m not used to this type of clasp - I’ve never used one like this. Having to use finger to pull it apart is new to me. I’m used to pressing a button on the side to open clasps. The FM logo is etched onto the clasp lever.

34gkewp.jpg

m8jsxt.jpg

THE DIAL:

Love it. The texture on the dial is fantastic when viewed up close. It’s like radial fingerprints in a sunburst from centre outwards.

Oh, and the main selling feature is the numbers are out of order :) 

swz7kw.jpg

Ok, let’s talk about this. Obviously the numbers are not in order. BUT - there is a pattern. It took me a few minutes to actually realize that there was a method to this madness. The numbers are in a very specific order - for a specific reason. I don’t want to ruin it - see if you can guess the pattern and why they chose it and leave your comments in this thread.

2qvqlvd.jpg

Apart from the multicoloured main numerals there are lots of accent numerals which - while you can’t really tell in these photos because of the light - actually fade away into the background depending on the angle and light. Sometimes you can barely see them at all. It’s really, really well done. When highlighted - the silver shine is great!

2mnn1cm.jpg

THE SIDES AND BACK:

The crown is embossed with a FM logo and is well done. Smooth and rounded with no sharp edges.

2n15oph.jpg

The other side has the FRANK MULLER name engraved and filled with paint. The engraving is deep enough that the paint will never be scratched out - yet at times it just looks painted on. Well done and smooth.

o72ic4.jpg

fu04gi.jpg

The back is engraved as well, and while I’ve never seen the genuine version of this watch - I’m going to assume it’s close since I don’t think they’d take the time with matching the movement and dial to gen and skimp on simple engraving. But I could be wrong. Still it looks elegant to my eyes.

vxelih.jpg

105yv74.jpg

FRANCK MULLER CRAZY COLOR DREAMS REVIEW PART VI

THE MOVEMENT

Now - THE BEST PART!

When I saw this watch - this is how I thought it would work:

I thought the hours and minutes would both sweep clockwise just like a normal watch - but because of the misplaced numerals - it would just look funny when the hands are at 3:00 but the dial says 11:00. It would be a bit of a mind bender for the first while. Like looking at a photo of the word RED when it’s actually printed in GREEN ink and saying the colour printed out loud. Fun stuff.

But no. This is not how it works. When I went to set the time - within seconds I thought the watch was broken. The hour hand was jumping all over the dial and I was sad. But then I saw a pattern. It wasn’t jumping randomly, it was jumping to the hours in order.

So, I present to you a short video I made. This shows the watch moving from 6 to 7 o’clock. I have not edited this video - this is what it does - don’t blink!

So, that’s pretty cool. I love it actually. It does mean one thing though… Think about it… What now - becomes totally useless about this watch?

You cannot really tell what time it is in the middle of the night when you look at the watch with lume. Unless you memorize all the number positions which you might over time. But there is also another problem here. The lumin is really horrible. It does not last more than 5 minutes. Even watching a movie with the TV on I could not read the dial after 5 minutes. It’s a real disappointment for me, as I need to be able to tell time during the night and don’t like a bedside clock. I’ve actually had to put on another watch at night for this. It’s too bad.

It’s a conundrum though. If the lume was fantastic and lasted all night I still wouldn’t be able to tell what time it is.

FRANCK MULLER CRAZY COLOR DREAMS REVIEW PART VII

THE SPECIFICATIONS

MOVEMENT: Asia 21J Automatic with modified Jumping Hour function (Like Genuine) 

CASE DIAMETER: Width 40mm X 47mm (Ht) - (Inclusive of Lugs - 55mm)

THICKNESS: 15mm 

DIAL COLOR: White Dial with Multi-Color "Crazy" Hours Numerals

CASE MATERIAL: Solid Stainless Steel

BRACELET: Solid SS Bracelet with Deployant Buckle

FRONT GLASS: Synthetic Sapphire

BACK GLASS: Solid Case back with detailed engraving

BEZEL: 

HACK MOVEMENT: Yes

CLASP TYPE: Deployant Buckle

This appears to be a ‘mid’ level rep as it’s goes for about $140 or so. 

FRANCK MULLER CRAZY COLOR DREAMS REVIEW PART VIII

HOW DOES IT WEAR?

I have 7.25” wrists. Every watch in my life that has ever had a metal bracelet I’ve had to remove 3 links. Always. Even with the taller profile on this - no exception. This allows it to fit not too tight, and not too loose. When typing this, the watch slides down bit towards my left, but this is the same for my Rolex, Seiko, Invicta etc. The downside of this has always been that 3 is an odd number. I will always remove the extra link from the top of the watch as this helps the buckle to take more of the desk dives as opposed to the bracelet (when typing etc my left arm always tilts out a bit naturally). That’s what a buckle really is to me anyways - protection for the bracelet from hard surfaces. Scratch the buckle, save the bracelet!

qnuvde.jpg

10rihx2.jpg

This is a tall watch - in fact it’s taller than the width of my wrist with the bracelet on - which I know is ‘bad’ to some people for aesthetic reasons. Luckily, I don’t care what other people think about what I wear so I’m fine with it. The regular version of this watch is shorter and maybe more appropriate for many people.

2jdkw9l.jpg

IN CLOSING

I really like this watch. For someone who’s eccentric, and has no worries about what other people think about what you wear - if you like different - this is a cool watch - even in the jumbo version. I’m actually so smitten with it - I’m very, very close to ordering a smaller version with different colours. There are a lot of variation of this watch. Almost too many and I want too many of them. Sigh…

The Lumin sucks. The dial is superb. The movement is fantastic in a ‘different’ kind of way. It’s solid.

But is it really too big to wear?

200op.jpg

Nope :) I've seen bigger!

Glaude

Great review my friend, very entertaining !

I'm curious to see what pattern you found for the numeral, according to the company they was a random choice coming from Franck Muller as he was bored on holiday by the strict schedule of the club he was in.
For the back of the watch, according to gen pictures, it looks the same !
The name of the technique used on the dial is the "guillochage" could take many forms, yours is beautiful !

This watch is BIG, the thickness I don't mind at all, but the height is too much for me.

Thank you for the review ! Keep em coming ! :clap:

Thommo82

Awesome review buddy

Numbers move around in lots of four, so I guess eventually you could get used to telling the time at a glance, may take a while though.

Congrats on wining a fantastic prize, eh

McGilli

Thanks guys. Turned out to be a fantastic prize.

@Thommo82 From looking around earlier today and even now - if you can find different let me know - but I think only the Jumbo version can be had in SS bracelet. All the smaller size are leather. 

@Glaude The pattern is definitely not random. Thommo was onto it. I think the goal was to get the hour hand zipping across the dial as much as possible. So, in order (1,2,3 etc) the numbers are always 5 (4 in between) digits apart. This ensures the hour hand gets maximum 'cross dial' effect.

And so by starting with '1' in the correct spot - the numerals 1, 4, 7, 10 - which are all 3 digits away from each other numerically - land in the correct place on the dial. Making it easier on the eyes to orient yourself for telling time since for the most part - the 4 corners are correct.

It's pretty cool design.

Thommo82

@McGilli I am yet to see a SS bracelet in a smaller size apart from a tiny 25mm ladies FM. @elloello would be the one to ask about this as FM’s are kinda his domain 

brang1

Great review mate, love the watch, just got rid off mine and now i miss it. Bloody kids have drawn all over your arms in case you hadn't noticed. Little buggers, fall asleep and out with the texta

McGilli
50 minutes ago, brang1 said:

Great review mate, love the watch, just got rid off mine and now i miss it. Bloody kids have drawn all over your arms in case you hadn't noticed. Little buggers, fall asleep and out with the texta

Thanks for the nice words. Yeah you know - I'm so sentimental I can't bring myself to wash it off :) 

brang1
1 hour ago, McGilli said:

Thanks for the nice words. Yeah you know - I'm so sentimental I can't bring myself to wash it off :) 

Good stuff mate

GC

Bravo sir, wonderful review. And of course, congratulations on the watch

55_F33_CA8-3_ACB-4_D71-9_A6_B-_FD2275_E4

Glaude
10 hours ago, McGilli said:

Thanks guys. Turned out to be a fantastic prize.

@Thommo82 From looking around earlier today and even now - if you can find different let me know - but I think only the Jumbo version can be had in SS bracelet. All the smaller size are leather. 

@Glaude The pattern is definitely not random. Thommo was onto it. I think the goal was to get the hour hand zipping across the dial as much as possible. So, in order (1,2,3 etc) the numbers are always 5 (4 in between) digits apart. This ensures the hour hand gets maximum 'cross dial' effect.

And so by starting with '1' in the correct spot - the numerals 1, 4, 7, 10 - which are all 3 digits away from each other numerically - land in the correct place on the dial. Making it easier on the eyes to orient yourself for telling time since for the most part - the 4 corners are correct.

It's pretty cool design.

That mean only one thing : I'm still shit with numbers... well not for setting the sentence back in the day... :D 

10 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

@McGilli I am yet to see a SS bracelet in a smaller size apart from a tiny 25mm ladies FM. @elloello would be the one to ask about this as FM’s are kinda his domain 

You mean like that .... : https://www.pf-818.com/franck-muller/curvex-crazy-hours/fmcr10011-curvex-crazy-colur-dreams-men-ss-white.html?___SID=U

McGilli
3 hours ago, Glaude said:

There's one! But - there are soooooooo many other watch faces in all different colours - and the regular size is almost always leather. Anyways - right now I cannot decide which one I'd buy. I love the silver accented numbers on this white dial... But... So many to choose from. Seems every site I go to has different variations.

Lerxst

As always, great review... even with the whacky movement, the conversation was easy to follow and fun to read.

Edited by Lerxst

Stephanova

Love the review. Radical and a Great conversationpiece for sure. 

McGilli

Thanks guys.

16 minutes ago, Stephanova said:

Love the review. Radical and a Great conversationpiece for sure. 

You're not kidding - but I think people are getting tired of me - usually at around 58 minutes past the hour - telling everyone to stop what they are doing and look at my watch for the hour change haha!

Stephanova

Love it!! 

muttsta

This is my favorite watch :) I have the gen 

elloello

Very nice ;) 

semperfi55

Elegant and eccentric watch? Sounds right up my street! :D

Thanks for a brilliant review. The video was especially useful. Onto the buy list this goes........