trailboss99

PLEASE READ

bkg!
 I'd suggest setting up a cron job to  do daily/weekly backups of the DB and possibly look at dockerizing (or a similar container package) the site, so that new instances can be booted up off the repo in minutes :thumbsup2:

Really, I’d suggest that a flexiplex be placed on the doohickey and once the thingamajig has swollenified some what, the place a popsicle stick through the central turnapot and give it five minutes of frollops before adding a dollop of whatdayamacallits. If we all utilise our imagification, we could drum up some gotgetem and kickstart this thing.....

That’s literally what I read when you tech boffins write

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GingerApple
24 minutes ago, bkg! said:

Really, I’d suggest that a flexiplex be placed on the doohickey and once the thingamajig has swollenified some what, the place a popsicle stick through the central turnapot and give it five minutes of frollops before adding a dollop of whatdayamacallits. If we all utilise our imagification, we could drum up some gotgetem and kickstart this thing.....

That’s literally what I read when you tech boffins write emoji23.png

Thank God I'm not the only one!

Glaude
23 hours ago, Genius said:

I'd suggest setting up a cron job to  do daily/weekly backups of the DB and possibly look at dockerizing (or a similar container package) the site, so that new instances can be booted up off the repo in minutes :thumbsup2:

@GingerBubba, @bkg!

Traduction attempt :

cron job : automated task performed by the server
backup of the DB : backup of the database (database = the user generated and configuration of the website)
dockerizing : Docker is a container, like a big virtual box where you put everything you need to make your virtual box work
new instance can be booted up off the repo : Once you've set your virtual box of magic you can take it where you want and like a foldable tent for camping, just throw it on the right ground and make it work very quickly ; booted up = launch ; the repo = repository = the place where you store things

So in the end, in understandable English this could do something like this :

I'd suggest telling the server to save your data daily/weekly and possibly look at throwing a quick deployment pack of the site, so that a new site can be set in place quickly in case of problems.

GingerApple
7 minutes ago, Glaude said:

@GingerBubba, @bkg!

Traduction attempt :

backup of the DB : backup of the database (database = the user generated and configuration of the website)
dockerizing : Docker is a container, like a big virtual box where you put everything you need to make your virtual box work
new instance can be booted up off the repo : Once you've set your virtual box of magic you can take it where you want and like a foldable tent for camping, just throw it on the right ground and make it work very quickly ; booted up = launch ; the repo = repository = the place where you store things

I'd suggest telling the server to save your data daily/weekly and possibly look at throwing a quick deployment pack of the site, so that a new site can be set in place quickly in case of problems.

That's so sweet of you, but I think I prefer the following 'translation'.

1 hour ago, bkg! said:

iabounty

I just bought a new electric pencil sharpener and I got a bonus 6 pack of #2 lead pencils....:beer:

HorFan
I just bought a new electric pencil sharpener and I got a bonus 6 pack of #2 lead pencils....:beer:

Pics or it didn't happen!

DR3M3L
On 31-1-2018 at 23:12, Genius said:

Guessing a big part of the problem was the inherent vulnerability of the xenforo software hence the need to migrate back to something more secure.  

Exactly. If we would've made the choice to stay in XF we would've been back in just a few days. However, we made the choice to manually migrate back to vBulletin and develop a custom theme. Next to that we left add-ons for what it is, we're NOT going to use any 3rd party add-ons anymore and will develop every plugin ourself to ensure quality and safety. We've launched, for the first time, a full git project for RWI with the full git-flow integrated to create features, releases and auto deployment. We're working with code reviews and pull requests to ensure quality in every single line of code we produce.

We've made huge steps from a simple project to a quality development process which will bring RWI to a whole new level. On top of that our servers will now be fully managed instead of monitored by our own team. The company behind the hosting has made us a custom SLA and we've signed for hiring a engineer for a couple of hours each month to do some additional research and optimizations.

As a business owner in the development world I can truly say RWI just got to a level where most business owners dream of. The investments made on these changes are bigger than most can imagine and I do hope the financial part will recover soon after the website will be back.

The new server stack should be delivered today (!!), so I'm very excited.

GingerApple
4 minutes ago, DR3M3L said:

We've launched, for the first time, a full git project for RWI .

This is excellent news for RWI, though I'm afraid you've been beaten to the punch by RWG.  The first time a full git project was launched here was when @Thommo82 was allowed to join the site.

Regrettably 'Project Total Git Thommo' remains an ongoing project here.

tabuktime
8 minutes ago, DR3M3L said:

Exactly. If we would've made the choice to stay in XF we would've been back in just a few days. However, we made the choice to manually migrate back to vBulletin and develop a custom theme. Next to that we left add-ons for what it is, we're NOT going to use any 3rd party add-ons anymore and will develop every plugin ourself to ensure quality and safety. We've launched, for the first time, a full git project for RWI with the full git-flow integrated to create features, releases and auto deployment. We're working with code reviews and pull requests to ensure quality in every single line of code we produce.

We've made huge steps from a simple project to a quality development process which will bring RWI to a whole new level. On top of that our servers will now be fully managed instead of monitored by our own team. The company behind the hosting has made us a custom SLA and we've signed for hiring a engineer for a couple of hours each month to do some additional research and optimizations.

As a business owner in the development world I can truly say RWI just got to a level where most business owners dream of. The investments made on these changes are bigger than most can imagine and I do hope the financial part will recover soon after the website will be back.

How does this differ from the RWG platform?  Is this site any less secure because of its differences to those of RWI?

black263
21 minutes ago, DR3M3L said:

So to summarise, its going to be better.

Alhig72

This is good news,

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

DR3M3L
50 minutes ago, black263 said:

Exactly. Thanks for translating my technerdytalky into simple English.

QueTip
2 minutes ago, DR3M3L said:

Exactly. Thanks for translating my technerdytalky into simple English.

:D 

DR3M3L
15 hours ago, Glaude said:

@GingerBubba, @bkg!

Traduction attempt :

What are your thoughts on using a master-slave setup and using the slave state for backups?
I'm thinking in snapshots of the DB slave server every 4 hours.

trailboss99
On 01/02/2018 at 07:37, CoffeeandCard said:

There might not have been any traffic to the site but they'll still be charging you for both storage and what seems like heavy computes if you've been running batch processes that take 48+hrs. Hopefully, this won't happen again, but someone should be doing a postmortem after this is sorted, to ensure the downtime isn't as crazy if it ever were to happen. I'd suggest setting up a cron job to  do daily/weekly backups of the DB and possibly look at dockerizing (or a similar container package) the site, so that new instances can be booted up off the repo in minutes :thumbsup2:

That would have been the case mate but something or someone FUBAR'd our backup server . . .

The new servers are fully managed so zero chance of a repeat and just to be sure I'll be backing up the DB myself weekly as an extra precaution.  The longest hold up here is transitioning back to vB from the disaster that was XF. That created a huge amount of work as there is no process to do it on the fly. It had to be written and then vB set up from scratch. 

trailboss99
1 hour ago, black263 said:

LOL, vastly mate.

Glaude
4 hours ago, DR3M3L said:

What are your thoughts on using a master-slave setup and using the slave state for backups?
I'm thinking in snapshots of the DB slave server every 4 hours.

I'm not much of a sys/server admin, I usually left that to my programmer/sys admin but over the years I've managed to understand all his command-line speech :D 
On our biggest clients we work in a full git environment (we were on a svn before but git is better). Every change, every modification is versioned, commented, only one person can commit to the final server, all previous commits are done on a transition server.
We have an exact dev copy of the website where we can work without the fear of live failure.
In the end the process is the following : Commit to dev, check for stability then commit to production.
DB and files are on a daily backup task and there's always the dev version that can be put online in an instant if needed (the dev is supposed to be a carbon copy of the live but we can always take a step back via git if some untested changes have been committed before the failure of the production, people can still work on the dev and branch, when production is back on line, dev regain his development state and branch are merged).
Main advantage of git in case of suppressed files are that people always have them on their working computer and we don't auto pull from the git.

We've recently experienced some major hack due to a stupid third-party add-on on an old and very insecure Joomla installation (stupid client won't pay for an upgrade or a from scratch solution).

To finally answer you : go with what your hardware/bandwidth allows you to do at Max, I can ask my server admin what best solution he can think of if you want :) 

tomerh120
7 hours ago, DR3M3L said:

So,  is the environment already running on dev or prod ?

when will you start final testing?

Thommo82
9 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

This is excellent news for RWI, though I'm afraid you've been beaten to the punch by RWG.  The first time a full git project was launched here was when @Thommo82 was allowed to join the site.

That’s Mr. Git to you, and put some respect on it young man 

HAZZA
On 2/1/2018 at 21:08, bkg! said:

That’s literally what I read when you tech boffins write emoji23.png

Is that cause you read people like a machine?   :-)      Hope alls well!

HAZZA
On 1/21/2018 at 13:24, trailboss99 said:

Hazz! Good to see you bro!

Hey TB'  Good to see you fighting the good fight.  Sorry, you are going through it.        Heres something to distract you:   https://ycm-boutique.myshopify.com/   

I had to bring a vote in 3 meetings this past year to get them to have an "online" presence. 

That's what I can get my hands on :) 

I did buy something a bit bigger, but I'll wait til we're back up to show you :-)

Rx4Time

So would @thommo82 be the master or the slave in this scenario? 

Rx4Time
20 hours ago, DR3M3L said:

What are your thoughts on using a master-slave setup and using the slave

In this scenario would @thommo82 be the master or the slave? 

22 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

Thommo82
26 minutes ago, teddy875 said:

In this scenario would @thommo82 be the master or the slave? 

I’m versatile 

curtisjackson23

hope rwi will never go through this again

at least I hope it will never take that long to fix

Good luck with the remaining work staff