cattlerustler

Tom Lambert or Robin Simpson

cattlerustler

Been in discussion with a Robin Simpson via Facebook about buying a Rolex from him.

The price is good, not so stupid it must be a scam cheap, but about right that it makes the watch a good buy.

I'm just a little scared of distance buying and the odd little thing doesn't quite add up, he is happy to take my Visa card for payment so I'm protected in that way, just don't want the grief of getting my cash back if it is a scam

Just wondering if anyone on here has heard of or had any dealings with a Robin Simpson? I'm sure he is legitimate but I'm just very nervous paying so much money to a guy who buys and sells but has no website or premises 

He supposedly trades as Robins Watches Ltd

Thanks all

Left Coast Guy

Anyone selling on Facebook or Gumtree or the like is a scam 100%. You may get a watch, you may even be happy with it, but you will be 100% be overpaying for what you get. 9 times out of 10 these guys are buying low- to medium grade stuff that you'd buy direct for $70-$100 and selling it for $200-$300. Best case these guys are middlemen selling at a mark-up; worst case you get outright scammed or get an absolute turd. 

And the thing is, there is just no reason for it. You can buy a ridiculously good rep from a TD for $300 and find even better deals on the M2M boards if you follow them. 

So as nicely as possible, don't be an idiot -- buy from a TD here or on M2M. The safety and security of those avenues is exactly what his site is here for!

junbug5150

Take advantage of what these forums offer. TDs, m2m, and just all the info on whatever model you're looking for. You won't regret it.

bloon

Most TDs offer a warranty service in case the watch is defective for 6 to 12 months. With a Gumtree seller, you're stuck with a paperweight that has to be sent to a rep friendly repair centre. The TDs here have consistent track records. Why change what's working?  :) And you can choose DHL for faster shipping, if thats an issue

Glaude
3 hours ago, bloon said:

Most TDs offer a warranty service in case the watch is defective for 6 to 12 months. With a Gumtree seller, you're stuck with a paperweight that has to be sent to a rep friendly repair centre. The TDs here have consistent track records. Why change what's working?  :) And you can choose DHL for faster shipping, if thats an issue

This may be true for some TD or this may be a courtesy offered by someone, but when I buy a watch from a TD I don't take this into account.

The main difference between a non-TD purchase and a TD purchase is that you're most likely not to have a problem and if you have and can't sort it out yourself, the forum staff is here to help.

McGilli
On 12/20/2017 at 04:58, cattlerustler said:

I'm just a little scared of distance buying and the odd little thing doesn't quite add up, he is happy to take my Visa card for payment so I'm protected in that way, just don't want the grief of getting my cash back if it is a scam

HOW - is he going to get your Visa information? Are you going to give it to him over the phone? Email?Facebook?

You will have to give him your 3 digit security code on the back of your card.

It's one thing to order from Amazon or Best buy and give them your 3 digit code on their HTTPS website. But if you give that out to a person via direct communication - and they scam you - your CC company can come down on you hard in a "WTF were you thinking?" kind of way. AS you know - they say never give that out to anyone.

Sure all could work out fine. But if it's a scam, or the watch sucks - be prepared for a harder time through your CC company. And yes - I am speaking from experience :)

cattlerustler

I gave up too much didn't add up, I'm glad I walked away, I blocked his messages but he still had my email and never got back to me, I reckon he was a fraudster

tripdog123

Why buy anything off Facebook ?