Sign in to follow this  
robinstyler

Help needed. Is this a gen Crystal?

robinstyler

So i bought this datejust last week and just noticed the crystal was put in crooked and one of the endlinks was broken inside. I got a good deal on it so its alright but I wanted to know if the crystal might have been replaced since it was inserted crooked. Thanks for the help guys, cant wait for RWI to be back up and I wish you all a Merry Christmas.

SBWtQ8J.jpg

robinstyler

If it helps, it’s a 2000/2001 serial 

Edited by robinstyler

live1

Looks gen 

robinstyler

Thanks a lot! Would be good to get some more opinions.

Mr_B

If you cannot tell, does it matter? 

bobandshawn
9 minutes ago, Mr_B said:

If you cannot tell, does it matter? 

I kind of agree, but it's nice to be able to say 'this is my bp datejust with gen crystal" and not look stupid...

robinstyler
15 minutes ago, bobandshawn said:

I kind of agree, but it's nice to be able to say 'this is my bp datejust with gen crystal" and not look stupid...

It’s not a BP though, the whole watch is gen I’m just wondering if the crystal was replaced. Same as it’s nice to know if the crystal of the fake Is gen it’s nice to know in a different way if the crystal of the gen is fake.

Edited by robinstyler

tripdog123

It looks gen. If you have one of those sticky balls for removing case backs you could try to get it squared up again. Wipe the crystal and the ball over with 80° alcohol, hold the watch case firmly in one hand, press the ball down onto the crystal and turn the ball anti - clock wise. It doesn't always work, depends on how tight the fit is between crystal/gasket/bezel. Failing that, take it to any competent watch smith, it'll take 5 minutes to fix it.

robinstyler
13 minutes ago, tripdog123 said:

It looks gen. If you have one of those sticky balls for removing case backs you could try to get it squared up again. Wipe the crystal and the ball over with 80° alcohol, hold the watch case firmly in one hand, press the ball down onto the crystal and turn the ball anti - clock wise. It doesn't always work, depends on how tight the fit is between crystal/gasket/bezel. Failing that, take it to any competent watch smith, it'll take 5 minutes to fix it.

Won’t the alcohol remove the ar coating? Sorry if that’s a noob question I don’t know if the coating is only inside or outside. Thanks for your help!

tripdog123
4 hours ago, robinstyler said:

Won’t the alcohol remove the ar coating? Sorry if that’s a noob question I don’t know if the coating is only inside or outside. Thanks for your help!

No.

robinstyler
17 minutes ago, tripdog123 said:

No.

Ok thanks, googled it too and found out there is no ar coating lol

Edited by robinstyler

GenTLe
3 hours ago, robinstyler said:

Ok thanks, googled it too and found out there is no ar coating lol

Even if there was, the only thing that removes a (well done) coating (chemically) is hydrochloric acid