markmarky

What gens would you buy under $10K?

markmarky

What gens would you buy under $10K? To start with, it needs to be a watch which can't be repped well. Buying a gen watch as basic as 214270 and then you see its Super rep out there, it kills the joy of owning the gen version. Similarly, many of Tudor watches have Super reps. Omega has some Super reps. In current scenario where reps are getting very good, what gen watch would you select under $10K USD??

My personal choice of owning a gen for which rep is not worth it is... Hesalite version Omega Moonwatch.

Omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch

Edited by markmarky

tommy_boy

Damasko In-house.  DK14/DK15.  Sexy as hell.

boRkgxXl.jpg

drifterr

Omega LMPO for me.

It's a beauty

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sonofapreacherman

God, my grail would be a Rolex Submariner 6538. Something really old and a little beaten up. 
RPR_IMG_7053.jpg

GenTLe

The speedy and one of these that COULD be repped, but isn't repped:
Jaguar_8181d809be2f9121eaacadc3524fbfce.jpg

stüssi
22 minutes ago, sonofapreacherman said:

God, my grail would be a Rolex Submariner 6538. Something really old and a little beaten up. 
RPR_IMG_7053.jpg

Beautiful but no way this one is available below 10k...

henrychinaski

boRkgxXl.jpg&key=0d581fa267bf48453c9ddf194c19a0da2143435ceff50f34b44f5e58b65496ca

Please, no offence. But this is far, far from sexy in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boRkgxXl.jpg&key=0d581fa267bf48453c9ddf194c19a0da2143435ceff50f34b44f5e58b65496ca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deju

The Speedmaster is a solid choice, under your remit then really no Rolex hasn’t been replicated to a decent standard... oysterquartz is a possibility. 

Again franck Muller... repped well 

All Panerai 

I think that sub $10k there is little in terms of in house complications with intricate designed housings. 

I’d look towards Zenith and the defy el primero 21

RUSH2112

The most expensive gen watch I own is my seiko Astron  so I guess that’s the answer.  I just don’t like spending too much money on luxury items I guess.

Mn80

Could be super repped but nobody does it. Oris 65 in the grey and light blue colour way. Keep nearly going to get one on finance.

Oris-Divers-Sixty-Five_004.jpg

markmarky
6 hours ago, GenTLe said:

The speedy and one of these that COULD be repped, but isn't repped:
Jaguar_8181d809be2f9121eaacadc3524fbfce.jpg

I think they did Speedy rep but nothing which is a Super rep. They say it doesn't come out good coz of the movement and nothing to replicate Lemania movement in rep world. 

Khronos

@markmarky You kinda misunderstood his post. He advised you to buy a Speedy OR a Bremont ( see picture ), that could be repped, but isn't.

deju

Should just do as ARF Daytona and have faux sub dials...

I mean FFS I've never used the speedy chrono anyways

GenTLe
3 hours ago, markmarky said:

I think they did Speedy rep but nothing which is a Super rep. They say it doesn't come out good coz of the movement and nothing to replicate Lemania movement in rep world. 

I know mate, I've one :)

markmarky
7 hours ago, Khronos said:

@markmarky You kinda misunderstood his post. He advised you to buy a Speedy OR a Bremont ( see picture ), that could be repped, but isn't.

Thanks for clarifying. 

4 hours ago, GenTLe said:

I know mate, I've one :)

Good choice!! 

markmarky
12 hours ago, deju said:

The Speedmaster is a solid choice, under your remit then really no Rolex hasn’t been replicated to a decent standard... oysterquartz is a possibility. 

I’d look towards Zenith and the defy el primero 21

Some of the basic Rolex like Explorer, Airking or OP39mm are repped pretty well and can pass off as gen to 99.5% of the folks out there. 

I like your suggestion of Zenith, good choice!! 

RepGuy
23 hours ago, markmarky said:

What gens would you buy under $10K? To start with, it needs to be a watch which can't be repped well.

I thought the same thing recently, and opted for the 2017 model of the Oris Aquis date. The watch itself wouldn't be hard to rep, but nobody has done so. I believe that even if they did rep this model, it would still be a ways off from the gen in terms of build quality.

Excuse the poor lighting, the sun was down by the time I got the package back home.

JwmRNY.jpg

tommy_boy
16 hours ago, henrychinaski said:

I'm not offended. This hobby is very personal after all.  I'd be more impressed with your post if you'd have provided an example of a watch that you characterize as sexy.

cvp3

Only watches with a $50K+ MSRP.

Luxuracer

I bought my first Omega in 1990 and my first Rolex in 2002. Never owned a reps up until now. Two months ago, I was in the market for my next watch. While researched and tried to decide which Omega to buy, I accidentally ran into RWI. The rest is history. I am having so much fun spending would-be-gen money buying reps.

The watches that I was deciding were the Planet Ocean or this;

zoom-soldier-220-22-41-21-02-001.png

But you won't catch me buying any luxury gen watch for a long long time.

MartinP

Tousand people can make tousand decisions.

For me Zenith El Primero 42mm

JimboJames1972

$10K is a pretty substantial amount, not the sorts of sums I am regularly coming across...

So, assuming I was still in my current job/income/house etc and just got a $10K (£8K) windfall to spend exclusively on watches? I’d still look for ore-owned to get full bang for buck value.  A couple of local jewellers have a pre-owned sections in their stock; this afternoon I spotted a Rolex GMT2 for £4K, an Ariking for £2.5K and a Speedmaster for £1.5K. Those three would exhaust the funds almost exactly, but I’m sure that if I bought all three at the same time I could get a bit of discount/free service etc thrown in ;-)

Those would be a good start, and pretty much sort me for most occasions.

J