FrankPowers

Help with building a collection

FrankPowers

Through everyone's help at RWI, I recently purchased a IWC Ingenieur Laureus Edition from Noob factory and I am really enjoying it. Before RWI I used to buy not so great replicas, which look good at a distance but look flawed when you examine them. They're a 1990's Rolex Daytona replica, and a Panerai Pam 63 that I am looking to get rid of. 

I am looking to make more purchases for my 7 inch wrist. I really like the Ingenieur, except that at 14mm in height it does not fit under a dress shirt cuff for me. What's a good watch that can be predominately be used for wearing with a suit? I would also be wearing it casually at times too, with wool sweaters and t shirts/polos.

What's most important to me is finding a high quality replica that would be very difficult to get called out for. I would appreciate everyone's opinion. I am looking to purchase 1 or 2 from the list below, and I am open to new suggestions outside of the list. I am looking at:

1. Rolex OP 114300 JF grey dial - I know this is a super rep which I like and I know it needs to be serviced ASAP. Although I am young, I am pretty conservative dark grey and navy suit with white dress shirt kind of guy. I am not so sure about wearing a grey dial as an everyday dress watch.

2. Rolex Explorer 1 214270 JF black dial - I know there is a bit of spacing between "E" and "x" which I don't mind. I like the more masculine looks and extendable clasp, but I am not so sure about black watches as I have quite pale skin tone.

3. Rolex Daytona 116500 ARF white dial - Right now the most accurate Daytona. I like that the white dial on the Daytona goes with everything, and the chronograph fits in with casual wear too. Only thing that I dislike is the chronographs on the 3 and 9 dials don't work and that's a big call out. Should I wait for newer versions?

4. Rolex Submariner 116610 black ceramic no date Noob V7 - Probably my favorite in appearance, however I don't know if it will fit well under a dress shirt and if it will fray my dress shirts. I prefer the Sub with a date, but outside of TC or TW I don't think anyone has gotten the date right. I also don't like how the bezel color is not as silver as it should be on the Noob. Should I wait for newer versions in 2018?

5. Cartier Ballon Bleu V6F white dial stainless steel - I like that this is a super rep, but compared to others on the list it looks a bit feminine. There are a lot of women where I live that wear the female version, and I've yet to see males wear it.

6. IWC Mark XVI MK, black or white dial - I think I prefer the size of this at 39mm compared to the XVII at 41mm. However I do not like the cheap straps that they come with, where if I buy a quality strap replacement it would be similar price to buying a rep watch. I am probably leaning towards a black dial, as the white dial looks a bit like a toy watch.

7. IWC Mark XVII MK black or white dial - Ditto as above.

Thank you!

Edited by FrankPowers
Spelling

PlanetZoom

Subscribed.

lediable007

Have you seen the SD43? Truly a work of art. One of the best ootb reps I've ever seen, tbh. KfZlk7c.jpg

e0Fqf4B.jpg

FrankPowers
17 minutes ago, lediable007 said:

Have you seen the SD43? Truly a work of art. One of the best ootb reps I've ever seen, tbh. KfZlk7c.jpg

e0Fqf4B.jpg

Wow what a beauty. Thank you, I never thought about a SD43 but these pictures have me tempted. I am looking more for a versatile watch that will fit under a dress shirt cuff, but I will definitely keep this watch in mind for my collection.

GingerApple

Great watch, but much too chunky to fit under dress shirts.

The sub is pretty similar in quality, but a lot thinner.

However it must surely be the case that ARF are working on a Sub that will blow NF out of the water....?

Edited by GingerBubba

lediable007
9 hours ago, FrankPowers said:

Wow what a beauty. Thank you, I never thought about a SD43 but these pictures have me tempted. I am looking more for a versatile watch that will fit under a dress shirt cuff, but I will definitely keep this watch in mind for my collection.

It's imposing, surely, but I've worn it with a suit. It doesn't wear much bigger than my PAM111. If you want a do-everything watch, look no further than the Cartier Santos 100. Indistinguishable from gen (aesthetically). Replace the strap, and you're golden. If you want steel, then the Cartier Ballon Bleu 42mm or the Oyster Perpetual Grey. If you want slightly modified, then perhaps the ARF DateJust. Change the date wheel and the dial, and get the bezel rhodium plated if you want to go fluted. 

5 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

However it must surely be the case that ARF are working on a Sub that will blow NF out of the water....?

I am almost certain of it, GB. If ARF keeps going the way they are now, I will soon buy reps solely from them. When the SD43 arrived in the mail, I thought someone had mistakenly posted me a gen. This thing is unbelievable. 

Edited by lediable007

iamonline

I have the Rolex OP 114300 JF, and it is a very nice dress watch. While I don't own the gen now, I have worn the gen and it is difficult to differentiate the rep and gen.

FrankPowers
11 hours ago, lediable007 said:

It's imposing, surely, but I've worn it with a suit. It doesn't wear much bigger than my PAM111. If you want a do-everything watch, look no further than the Cartier Santos 100. Indistinguishable from gen (aesthetically). Replace the strap, and you're golden. If you want steel, then the Cartier Ballon Bleu 42mm or the Oyster Perpetual Grey. If you want slightly modified, then perhaps the ARF DateJust. Change the date wheel and the dial, and get the bezel rhodium plated if you want to go fluted. 

I am almost certain of it, GB. If ARF keeps going the way they are now, I will soon buy reps solely from them. When the SD43 arrived in the mail, I thought someone had mistakenly posted me a gen. This thing is unbelievable. 

Luckily you must be a big guy with big wrists. My cheap Pam replica doesn't fit well with suits unless if I unbutton the cuff sleeve and go jacket-less. But after your pictures I am going to the AD to see how the SD43 fits on my wrist. It's not what I am looking for, but I may buy it down the road as a casual watch. 

16 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

I keep hearing forum members indirectly mentioning about some surprises for 2018 and especially for the Sub. I have my fingers crossed.

GingerApple
On 31/12/2017 at 09:59, lediable007 said:

e0Fqf4B.jpg

Not only is it gorgeous, the timekeeping accuracy of mine is out of this world too (pure good fortune I'm sure). I set the time on Friday morning at 9.36am, making sure it was correct to the second with a precise online clock. As of right now, some 3 days later (75 hours to be precise), it's lost just a single second!!!!!! Amazing!!!!! Probably better timekeeping than most Gen Rolexes.

GenTLe

Plenty of watches that go great with suit! The BP Patek Nautilus, the Ap 15400 and 15202, some thin Blancpain, and the list is long...

FrankPowers
On 1/1/2018 at 04:27, GingerBubba said:

Not only is it gorgeous, the timekeeping accuracy of mine is out of this world too (pure good fortune I'm sure). I set the time on Friday morning at 9.36am, making sure it was correct to the second with a precise online clock. As of right now, some 3 days later (75 hours to be precise), it's lost just a single second!!!!!! Amazing!!!!! Probably better timekeeping than most Gen Rolexes.

I tried the SD43 at an AD, but unfortunately it is too big for me. The Sub C is perfect for me. I saw your thread of your collection and I am wondering, how would you compare the quality of your Sub Noob V7 to the SD 43 ARF? Is the ARF version of the SD43 higher quality and closer to gen than the Noob's Sub?

I am also thinking of additionally getting the ARF Daytona in white dial.  Do you wear your Daytona more or your Sub?

drifterr
I tried the SD43 at an AD, but unfortunately it is too big for me. The Sub C is perfect for me. I saw your thread of your collection and I am wondering, how would you compare the quality of your Sub Noob V7 to the SD 43 ARF? Is the ARF version of the SD43 higher quality and closer to gen than the Noob's Sub?
I am also thinking of additionally getting the ARF Daytona in white dial.  Do you wear your Daytona more or your Sub?
Arf Daytona is an awesome addition to the collection in white dial.

Here's mine. I don't care about the chrono functions not working as I never use them. The feel and finish on this is fantastic.

I also have added the SD43 to my collection as I wanted cyclop Rollie and have loved it since I got it.

More recently I have diversified into APs. I'll elaborate more later.
681822f1a46e522d1a51b1ec31a58a0f.jpg598f55318158ba6cd0305d1e05c2043b.jpg43d47a1dd134791122cdbb17b400af4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GingerApple
1 hour ago, FrankPowers said:

I've got some really bad news for you mate. You're going to have to buy them all. Maybe not straight away, but one day, and for the rest of your life. 

There's not a MASSIVE difference between the Noob v7 and ARF. The Noob is still a very nice watch, but the ARFs just feel better to me, a hard to define feeling of quality, especially the bracelet (although one of my ARF Daytonas has a stocky noisy rotor that I'll sort at some point). Oh, the bezel too isn't as good on the noob - lovely for day to day wear, but if you were side by side with a gen, it would probably be noticeable. You'll still be delighted with the Noob (unless you're one of those guys with weird, unrealistic expectations). But surely ARF are working on a Sub as we speak, how can they not be? Personally I would not buy a Noob sub if I was buying  one right now on that basis. By the way, I have no inside knowledge -  but the Sub is such a popular watch, why WOULDN'T ARF be making it!!?!

FrankPowers
1 hour ago, drifterr said:

Arf Daytona is an awesome addition to the collection in white dial.

Here's mine. I don't care about the chrono functions not working as I never use them. The feel and finish on this is fantastic.

I also have added the SD43 to my collection as I wanted cyclop Rollie and have loved it since I got it.

More recently I have diversified into APs. I'll elaborate more later.
681822f1a46e522d1a51b1ec31a58a0f.jpg598f55318158ba6cd0305d1e05c2043b.jpg43d47a1dd134791122cdbb17b400af4b.jpg

Hi driftterr, thanks for your help I appreciate it!

Wow. I wasn't a big fan of the ceramic Daytona as I thought the stainless steel looked better with a suit. But after seeing you wear the ceramic, it's a true beauty. What do you think of the thickness of the case relative to the gen, and how's the 4130 movement for you? Do you think ARF or another factory will release a Daytona that has a working chronometer, slimmer case, and better SEL links?

I like AP watches too, so looking forward to your opinion. I've looked at the AP ROO Divers from JF, but I prefer the 15400.

drifterr

Hi driftterr, thanks for your help I appreciate it!
Wow. I wasn't a big fan of the ceramic Daytona as I thought the stainless steel looked better with a suit. But after seeing you wear the ceramic, it's a true beauty. What do you think of the thickness of the case relative to the gen, and how's the 4130 movement for you? Do you think ARF or another factory will release a Daytona that has a working chronometer, slimmer case, and better SEL links?
I like AP watches too, so looking forward to your opinion. I've looked at the AP ROO Divers from JF, but I prefer the 15400.

The difference in thickness is negligible. From memory it's like 0.7mm vs gen. If you are particular this can be achieved by removing the rotor plate and shaving the case back. Domi in EU has done a couple already. Don't think I am that anal at this point.

The movement is a modified 7750 with working subdial at 6 and seconds hand. Subdial at 3 & 9 are frozen . To be honest this is good enough for me as I never used chrono functions In my gen tag Carrera.

I am sure there will be better version coming, this keeps happening in the rep game. There will always be imporovements however do note that at times they do end up fuckig something else.

The sels on the daytona are just perfect.

For me I was keen to add a white dial and this fit the bill perfect.

With respect to APs, I have recently gone crazy my acquisition.

I have the following pieces coming and think will satisfy my AP cravings.

15400 blue v2j jf
Diver V4 noob ceramic 2824
Diver v7 2824 by JF.

FrankPowers
48 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

I've got some really bad news for you mate. You're going to have to buy them all. Maybe not straight away, but one day, and for the rest of your life. 

There's not a MASSIVE difference between the Noob v7 and ARF. The Noob is still a very nice watch, but the ARFs just feel better to me, a hard to define feeling of quality, especially the bracelet (although one of my ARF Daytonas has a stocky noisy rotor that I'll sort at some point). Oh, the bezel too isn't as good on the noob - lovely for day to day wear, but if you were side by side with a gen, it would probably be noticeable. You'll still be delighted with the Noob (unless you're one of those guys with weird, unrealistic expectations). But surely ARF are working on a Sub as we speak, how can they not be? Personally I would not buy a Noob sub if I was buying  one right now on that basis. By the way, I have no inside knowledge -  but the Sub is such a popular watch, why WOULDN'T ARF be making it!!?!

Hey GingerBubba, thanks for your kind help!

Yes you're right. I bought a watch box that holds 6 watches to limit myself from buying too much, but now I think I need a bigger box! Yes that's my concern too about the Noob, the bezel is off, the dial paint is not silver enough, and the date window doesn't have the black hole -- although hard to see, it makes the rep noticable. Looking at how gen like the SD43 ARF is, I think I'm going to wait for the ARF version of the Sub.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I really enjoy the green backdrop of your wrist shots. 

FrankPowers
5 minutes ago, drifterr said:

The difference in thickness is negligible. From memory it's like 0.7mm vs gen. If you are particular this can be achieved by removing the rotor plate and shaving the case back. Domi in EU has done a couple already. Don't think I am that anal at this point.

The movement is a modified 7750 with working subdial at 6 and seconds hand. Subdial at 3 & 9 are frozen . To be honest this is good enough for me as I never used chrono functions In my gen tag Carrera.

I am sure there will be better version coming, this keeps happening in the rep game. There will always be imporovements however do note that at times they do end up fuckig something else.

The sels on the daytona are just perfect.

For me I was keen to add a white dial and this fit the bill perfect.

With respect to APs, I have recently gone crazy my acquisition.

I have the following pieces coming and think will satisfy my AP cravings.

15400 blue v2j jf
Diver V4 noob ceramic 2824
Diver v7 2824 by JF.

That's true, I'm a fan of ARF, this is the first time I saw a good Daytona rep.  I'm going to email my TD.

Nice collection. For the AP's which one do you like the most?

Rga7580
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 16:57, GingerBubba said:

That is AMAZING! Is both the case & bracelet 904L?

GingerApple
22 minutes ago, FrankPowers said:

I bought a watch box that holds 6 watches to limit myself from buying too much, but now I think I need a bigger box!

Bigger watch box already, lol! Good man!

24 minutes ago, FrankPowers said:

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I really enjoy the green backdrop of your wrist shots. 

Green countryside..dark, foreboding rain clouds. It can only be the UK right...?

GingerApple
5 minutes ago, Rga7580 said:

That is AMAZING! Is both the case & bracelet 904L?

No idea I'm afraid. TDs state that both bracelet and case are 904L, but who knows. I do know an ARF bracelet link was independently tested by a member and was definitely 904L. Either way, they're awesome.

FrankPowers
6 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

Bigger watch box already, lol! Good man!

Green countryside..dark, foreboding rain clouds. It can only be the UK right...?

I'm going to get a box as big as yours!

It looks like the Pacific North West, where I am from.  We get a lot of green and rain too.

drifterr
That's true, I'm a fan of ARF, this is the first time I saw a good Daytona rep.  I'm going to email my TD.
Nice collection. For the AP's which one do you like the most?
Both the diver v7 and 15400 are fantastic. I could never buy gens so this is as good as it gets.

The ceramic was an impulse purchase as I really like the case and orange details on the dial. Plus they were going for a good price .

palaufreak

The Rolex OP 114300 JF is a must have rep. Goes well is all ocassions

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

deju
On 31/12/2017 at 07:31, FrankPowers said:

1. Rolex OP 114300 - great suit and all round good watch

2. Rolex Explorer 1 214270 - great suit and all round good watch

3. Rolex Daytona 116500 ARF - More sporty, too flash with a suit IMHO, and I wear more fashionable/flashy suits than traditional  

4. Rolex Submariner 116610 - never for a suit, this watch shows that you may be unimaginative and a sheep that bought a watch just because. very nouveau riche to wear with anything uncasual (IMHO) if you wear a Sub then it has to be vintage to not look like a cock (IMHO) 

5. Cartier Ballon Bleu - Never go wrong with a Cartier  

6. IWC Mark XVI - great no nonsense watch not too flashy.

7. IWC Mark XVII - again great no nonsense watch not too flashy.

out of above I would air to 1 and 2.

FrankPowers

You guys are right!

The Noob Daytona with 1:1 4130 movement, case thickness, and 904L is coming out after Chinese New Year (CNY).  http://watchbus.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4278&extra=page%3D1

The Noob Sub with 904L is coming out after CNY. http://watchbus.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4334&extra=page%3D1

Both watches with 316L will come out first before CNY.