GingerApple

What has been your most accurate timekeeper?

GingerApple

I'm loving my latest ARF Sea-dweller, a great watch as I'm sure you'll all be aware, but I thought I'd check is timekeeping accuracy. I can categorically say it is by far and away the most accurate timepiece I've ever owned!

I set the time on Friday at 9.36am getting it correct to the second with a super accurate, online clock. 

As of right now, some three days later (75 hours to be precise), is running just one second slow. Amazing!

I've never owned a Gen Rolex (or indeed Gen anything), but I'm guessing that that sort of accuracy would beat most Gen Rolexes or not? 

How accurate has your best timekeeper been?

ARF - Smashing it out of the park!

mysterio

Good for you. I've encountered similar accuracy from a lot of my reps (when I wear them for around a week continuously) but I'm pretty sure gens can also meet that (it is nice to think that your ARF would beat most gen Rolex but no). Mechanical certified chronometers are allowed to vary as much as +6/-4 every day. But that doesn't mean that it will vary consistently, it will vary around that range. So after 3 days, it can be as much as +18s to -12s off, or it can be perfectly timed to an atomic clock.

GingerApple

Thanks Mysterio, interesting. 

I'd be interested to hear from those with Gen Rolexes what their average daily loss is.... Anyone?

mysterio
6 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

I'd be interested to hear from those with Gen Rolexes what their average daily loss is.... Anyone?

I'd be interested if any actual Gen Rolex owners would honestly reply with a less than exemplary performance. Basically your experience is your own and good for you but asking gen owners to own up and say "You are correct, your cheap ARF beats my gen Rolex." is too much IMHO. Not to mention your watch is only been running for 3 days. We don't know how consistent the performance will be down the line.

RUSH2112

Seiko astron constantly getting updates and always correct as long as it gets some sky above it.

GingerApple

Lol, correct to the nano second I guess. Although I was sort of talking about bog standard, mechanical watches....

loewenzahn

Well, I gave away my gen Submariner (14060 , bought new 1993) due to the fact that RSC in Germany wasn't capable to adjust the movement. Three years later, after having sent two times to the service I gave up and sold it.... making profit, of course ;-)

Hinclimincli

My gen Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36 stays at +1.5s no matter what. Worn, unworn, resting flat, on a side, etc. It's the most accurate watch I have ever had. And it doesn't sport any exotic movement, it has an ETA 2824 Chronometer Grade.

I love it when people laugh about ETA movements, forgetting that the Top grade and Chronometer grade have nothing to envy to any of the high end calibers.

Dammit, now I need to take off my 15202 quartz and get the Black Bay. Be back in a second!

iamonline

My gen Rolex sub has kept +1sec per month for years. None of my automatic or quartz reps come even close to its time keeping accuracy. Only watch that beats it is my solar Citizen quartz that receives nightly atomic time correction.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

deju

iPhone 7plus :rofl: 

black263

If a watch made to COSC standards can be within a couple of seconds a day, plus or minus, and you make thousands of them, the odds are that within that spread, some will be absolutely accurate.  If a cheap old chinese movement can be within 30 seconds a day, plus or minus, and you make thousands of them, the odds are that within that spread, some will be absolutely accurate.  Clearly, in the latter case, the vast majority will lie outside COSC standard, but it should be no surprise to hear tales of some incredibly accurate examples.

mysterio
1 hour ago, black263 said:

If a watch made to COSC standards can be within a couple of seconds a day, plus or minus, and you make thousands of them, the odds are that within that spread, some will be absolutely accurate.  If a cheap old chinese movement can be within 30 seconds a day, plus or minus, and you make thousands of them, the odds are that within that spread, some will be absolutely accurate.  Clearly, in the latter case, the vast majority will lie outside COSC standard, but it should be no surprise to hear tales of some incredibly accurate examples.

So in short, he got lucky. :)

NDJ
19 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

My 16710 GMT Master II has been consistently +2.5 sec per day for more than 10 years.

GC
19 hours ago, mysterio said:

I'd be interested if any actual Gen Rolex owners would honestly reply with a less than exemplary performance. Basically your experience is your own and good for you but asking gen owners to own up and say "You are correct, your cheap ARF beats my gen Rolex." is too much IMHO. Not to mention your watch is only been running for 3 days. We don't know how consistent the performance will be down the line.

My gen 14060 ran -20 sec a day consistently, it was not chronometer grade (it was a two liner, not a four liner). I brought it into WEMPE and asked if they could have it regulated, but they looked down their noses and said “no”. I was 20 at the time, the watch a gift for my 18th, and I was completely out of my comfort zone in WEMPE. I just said something stupid like , “oh, ok” and high tailed it out of there. 

So yeah, the gen 14060 ran -20sec a day  slow.  My rep 114060 with an A2824 runs -5 sec day slow. 

Such is life

btw: happy to hear the ARF SD43 is running that accurate, I just purchased one for my brother in law. 

Hinclimincli

Bear in mind that in good movements there won't be any variation across the years. Would be interesting to see if all these Chinese movements keep the COSC parameters in ten or twenty years.

mysterio
15 minutes ago, Hinclimincli said:

Bear in mind that in good movements there won't be any variation across the years. Would be interesting to see if all these Chinese movements keep the COSC parameters in ten or twenty years.

Maybe someone has a 10 year old Rolex rep that has been unserviced and un-adjusted all this time so we can compare.

WatchDog21
19 hours ago, RUSH2112 said:

Seiko astron constantly getting updates and always correct as long as it gets some sky above it.

Ditto, my Astron is always spot on!  A couple weeks ago I placed it in a travel case when I traveled to Ohio.  So it had no sunlight or GPS for 2 days.  The second I pulled it out of the travel case I received instant entertainment as I watched the watch correct itself and adjust the time all by itself!

Gazzla did a cool video showing it in action

loewenzahn
58 minutes ago, GC said:

My gen 14060 ran -20 sec a day consistently, it was not chronometer grade (it was a two liner, not a four liner). I brought it into WEMPE and asked if they could have it regulated, but they looked down their noses and said “no”. I was 20 at the time, the watch a gift for my 18th, and I was completely out of my comfort zone in WEMPE. I just said something stupid like , “oh, ok” and high tailed it out of there. 

So yeah, the gen 14060 ran -20sec a day  slow.  My rep 114060 with an A2824 runs -5 sec day slow. 

Nearly exact as in my case I posted some hour ago.  :)  

Not -20 sec but + 2 min, not Wempe but a local AD who gave it to the RSC. I was a little older than you at the time but not so self-assured in business affairs as today... so I gave in. 

The TC V6 2824 standard I now wear daily is -5 sec/day at max. Great piece !

NDJ

My 'Cartel' 1665 Seadweller from Josh at Perfect Clones is my most accurate mechanical watch, full stop.

It just has one of the ubiquitous, and somewhat hit and miss, A2836 movements, but I must have lucked out because it is (so far) proved to be an amazingly dependable timekeeper. I haven't been easy on it either, using it as a 'daily beater' I've operated power tools and hammers with it, built rock walls while wearing it, and dunked it in water when building a garden fountain.

20180103_105325.jpg

Screenshot_2018-01-03-10-54-35.pngpicture host

jmb

My vintage Accutron is within a couple seconds/month.

Hostage

The Seiko Ananta Spring Drive I had and should never had got rid of. It was 1-2 seconds per month.

PlanetZoom

My smartphone :)

brang1

The-Sun.jpg

Khronos

My Certina DS-2 Precidrive HAQ chrono, +1 second in 3 months..

20171018_161515.jpg

Khronos

And of course this little fella, +/-0.0000 seconds in about thousand years :D

20170705_161933.jpg