YoloWatchLover

Is it time to take the reviews to the next level?

YoloWatchLover

Hi!

As I'm waiting (in great patience) for my rep to arrive I've tried to come up with a more objective reviewing system. What do you guys think would it be possible to come up with some sort of scoring system for rep reviews? I mean it would be nice to get a little more comparison and quality standard for the reps - the watches can cost up to 400-700+++ dollards and there's so much high quality reps to choose from now days! IMO ppl would be intrested in some a little more in depth reviewing system that would help them choose what to pick next.

This is something I had in mind: (DISCLAMER: It's the very first raw version!!! With your help andinput/suggestions it will get even better!)

Total score: 100/100points

Looks vs Gen: 40 points

Passes for a gen from an arms distance - 15 points

Cant tell difference under inspection on the wrist - 15 points

Needs to be compared side by side with a gen to tell the difference - 5 points

Noticable only by a watch smith/enthusiastic watch lover - 5 points

Functions and movement: 40 points

All functions work as intended - 25 points

All basic functions work - 5 points

Reliability - 10 points

Misc: 20 points

Materials (steel, straps) - 10 points

Fine details (colours, hands, decoration, lume etc.) - 5 points

Available mods and spare parts - 5 points

I've given some sub categories more value for a good reason. This is also open for debate (how much and why and so on....). I made this fairly quick cause I dont want to do all the work myself ;)

What do you guys think? Shall we try to take this to the next level or nuke it from the orbit?

Cheers!

NCRich

I don't have time for that.  Maybe others do.

TimePeace

:popcorn:

deju

This would be  too hard, things like look and feel is a very personal thing and everyone has different standards. 

Many of the Members are old and grumpy and have extreme OCD. 

Ales Pam guide is the nearest to a good rating system. But even he is a realist when it comes to actual points based standardisation 

YoloWatchLover
4 minutes ago, deju said:

This would be  too hard, things like look and feel is a very personal thing and everyone has different standards. 

Many of the Members are old and grumpy and have extreme OCD. 

Ales Pam guide is the nearest to a good rating system. But even he is a realist when it comes to actual points based standardisation 

Maybe a little structure would also make reviewing easier? I'll have to check out Ales Pam guide!

Piloten

No

BadApple

Minus points for:

Specks of dust.

Fingerprints.

Pubes.

Bezel being 0.00000000000000012mm out of alignment.

And finally on datewheel having the 1 and 3 on 13 being ever so slightly raised that it is evident from the other side of a disco dancefloor.

Piloten
Just now, BADAPPLE12 said:

Minus points for:

Specks of dust.

Fingerprints.

Pubes.

Bezel being 0.00000000000000012mm out of alignment.

And finally on datewheel having the 1 and 3 on 13 being ever so slightly raised that it is evident from the other side of a disco dancefloor.

You forgot the date changing at noon instead of midnight

onzenuub

What about extra points for boobs?

fatarms

Can I get a ruling on a meteorite dial +/- ?

paccbet

You ain't seen @Glaude's reviews yet

GC
13 minutes ago, paccbet said:

You ain't seen @Glaude's reviews yet

Exactly 

NCRich

Have I told you guys how much I love you?   :lol:

Piloten

RepGuy

Wow, a new member who is here to revolutionize the forum. I'll play your game:

Total Score: 2/100

- Username: 0/25

- VIP/Supporter Status: 0/25

- Post Quality: 0/25

- Can I Masturbate to This Username: 2/25

greg_r

... or we could give each good feature an A, with especially good features a + mark.  Yeah! AAAAAAAAA+ reps! Now where have I seen that before... :woo:   

RepGuy
12 minutes ago, greg_r said:

... or we could give each good feature an A, with especially good features a + mark.  Yeah! AAAAAAAAA+ reps! Now where have I seen that before... :woo:   

AA+A+++AAAAAA+A+A++A

YoloWatchLover

At first I was like: "Well, maybe they are not all against it?"

Some ppl tried to give some constructive criticism (thank you) and some wanted to unload their bad day.  Maybe I just forgot this was the internet.

I get it - lets not waste any more time. Hope that no1 got too upset. My apologies!

@RepGuy That was a bit rude... Even on the internet scale. But I understand you prolly dont want us to be friends anyway - that's cool.

RepGuy
1 minute ago, YoloWatchLover said:

@RepGuy That was a bit rude... Even on the internet scale. But I understand you prolly dont want us to be friends anyway - that's cool.

If it makes you feel better, I treat everybody on the forum the same. Make stupid posts, and you'll get stupid answers. 

On a more serious note, how I read your original post was along the lines of, "I think we should use an Amazon-like rating system so I don't have to do any in-depth research of my own". 

tripdog123

The Look vs  Gen may be a problem - you 'd need to have access to an actual gen in order to do the comparison . Other than that it looks like a great idea - maybe use Robert Parkers note system for wine as a base - marks out of 100. Convert it all into a Powerpoint Infographic to make the info more accessible and you'd really be onto something.

Or how about this: If you like the  watch  and think you got a good deal, post a wristshot, if you don't like it, put the fucking thing up on M2M

Piloten
10 minutes ago, YoloWatchLover said:

At first I was like: "Well, maybe they are not all against it?"

Some ppl tried to give some constructive criticism (thank you) and some wanted to unload their bad day.  Maybe I just forgot this was the internet.

I get it - lets not waste any more time. Hope that no1 got too upset. My apologies!

Naw, how could I be upset about an opportunity to have fun

On the pointing out the blatantly obvious note, nothing stopping you from arranging your reviews that way

YoloWatchLover
4 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

If it makes you feel better, I treat everybody on the forum the same. Make stupid posts, and you'll get stupid answers. 

On a more serious note, how I read your original post was along the lines of, "I think we should use an Amazon-like rating system so I don't have to do any in-depth research of my own". 

Obviously that was not my intention. Ppl would still need to do a ton of research but I think a more structured review would make this quicker and help to compare different reps. Many more in depth reviews alrdy cover the categories I posted in some way. And I have to add that I ment no disrespect to the amazing reviews here - this was ment as a humble suggestion how to (IMO) improve things.

I get it that Im new here. I dont know all the models by heart. I havent witnessed the 15 years of rep evolution. There's like a bachelors degrees amount of information about rep watches here and as a noobs viewpoint some shortcuts would make life easier.

Peace!

YoloWatchLover
6 minutes ago, Piloten said:

Naw, how could I be upset about an opportunity to have fun

On the pointing out the blatantly obvious note, nothing stopping you from arranging your reviews that way

I get it :D

And yeah before posting this I might have tried to do something like this with some studio shots but I think Im gonna stick to a celly wrist shot and a short pros and cons list.

Jibuti
1 hour ago, onzenuub said:

What about extra points for boobs?

Aaaand goats and tractors, do not forget......

RepGuy
4 minutes ago, YoloWatchLover said:

Obviously that was not my intention. Ppl would still need to do a ton of research but I think a more structured review would make this quicker and help to compare different reps. Many more in depth reviews alrdy cover the categories I posted in some way. And I have to add that I ment no disrespect to the amazing reviews here - this was ment as a humble suggestion how to (IMO) improve things.

I get it that Im new here. I dont know all the models by heart. I havent witnessed the 15 years of rep evolution. There's like a bachelors degrees amount of information about rep watches here and as a noobs viewpoint some shortcuts would make life easier.

Peace!

The problem is the subjectivity of your review model.

- What regulating body will oversee the standardization of the review metrics to ensure a 5/10 review is equal across the board for all reps?

- How will this standard account for the wildly different quality of each individual rep, when even models within the same build batch can vary in these areas?

- How will this standardized scale factor in each individuals preference. What may feel acceptable to one may not to another.

My vote for the regulating body goes to S.H.I.T , or the Standardized Horological Institute of Timepieces