AP_Superman

What's the 2nd best AP rep?

AP_Superman

It's universal knowledge that the v7 Diver is the best in terms of being a super rep. I think I would like a 2nd AP. Is there one considered to be a clear number 2?

black263

TNS#3 question, going on TNS#4.

SamsonAusKognito

My brain hurts to think about that...  

I'm a huge APisti and I think the second best would be a Royal Oak V2 from JF, because all the others have the same date flaw. 

The 3rd best would be the Z-GP, which I have. 

RepGuy

AP-Factory has a few models near 99% accuracy, so anything from them. 

Thommo82
31 minutes ago, black263 said:

TNS#3 question, going on TNS#4.

+1

Luxuracer
19 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

AP-Factory has a few models near 99% accuracy, so anything from them. 

Trust RepGuy

He should know ... He has AP for his profile picture ... Kakaka!

tripdog123

Number 2 is crap.

AP_Superman
50 minutes ago, SamsonAusKognito said:

My brain hurts to think about that...  

I'm a huge APisti and I think the second best would be a Royal Oak V2 from JF, because all the others have the same date flaw. 

The 3rd best would be the Z-GP, which I have. 

I'll have to look into those. Too bad the AP chronos have the seconds hand in the 12 position which makes them unreliable unless it's a franken build.

RepGuy
37 minutes ago, AP_Superman said:

I'll have to look into those. Too bad the AP chronos have the seconds hand in the 12 position which makes them unreliable unless it's a franken build.

Franken builds do nothing to make the time bomb seconds @ 12 movement more reliable. You can swap the movement to a gen model, which is frankly a bad move, or you can get the original movement serviced, which tends to help, but still leaves you with a potential $700 paperweight if it goes bad.

AP_Superman
7 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

Franken builds do nothing to make the time bomb seconds @ 12 movement more reliable. You can swap the movement to a gen model, which is frankly a bad move, or you can get the original movement serviced, which tends to help, but still leaves you with a potential $700 paperweight if it goes bad.

Well damn... I see so many franken chrono APs on these forums. It's crazy that people would risk spending that much if they can't address the chrono flaw. I thought that lmo movement for the frankens were addressing that somehow. Guess I was wrong.

fatarms
19 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

My understanding was the new models from the JF factory a couple years ago introduced transfer jewels?  Was that ever confirmed?

Also, can I get a ruling on the 5th best Girard Perregaux watch?  I don't have enough cash right to buy #'s 1-4, so I've decided to start with #5.  Thanks for the help, fellas.  Y'all are swell.

RepGuy
27 minutes ago, fatarms said:

My understanding was the new models from the JF factory a couple years ago introduced transfer jewels?  Was that ever confirmed?

They did introduce a transfer jewel, but it only improves the reliability of the movement, and doesn't fix anything. Kind of like putting duct tape on a leaky pipe.

black263

Which TD can supply the second best Sub?

tabuktime
5 minutes ago, black263 said:

All of them, but only to noobs...

mysterio
3 hours ago, black263 said:

Of course it would be the second best TD, but you're going off topic with that Sub question. We're talking APs here. Focus.

the_datta
4 hours ago, tabuktime said:

All of them, but only to noobs...

4 hours ago, black263 said:

hahahaha. 

As for your question, maybe ask it in a Rolex thread. Lucky for you JF as a solid 16610 out. Just have to change the date wheel out and wham.

AP_Superman

I won't lie. I've only bought watches listed as super reps so far. AP only has 1. But those chrono APs like the Panda are just so sexy to me. But that 12 position seconds hand is just a risk I don't know if I want to take. The lwo movements that frankens use isn't addressing that?

AP_Superman

Ok so it appears that using an lwo movement does correct the problem with the seconds hand in the 12 position. I don't know why RepGuy says using a gen movement is a bad idea since the lwo is relatively cheap.

Edited by AP_Superman

mysterio

Well just because something is cheap (to you) it doesn't necessarily translate to a good idea though. Not that I would specifically know why though. Given that RepGuy has the AP logo, I would probably make a wild guess he does know.

RepGuy
2 hours ago, AP_Superman said:

Ok so it appears that using an lwo movement does correct the problem with the seconds hand in the 12 position. I don't know why RepGuy says using a gen movement is a bad idea since the lwo is relatively cheap.

I say it's a bad idea because it's a $600+ dollar upgrade in the low end, and usually over $1000 just for the movement since you usually have to buy a complete donor watch just to get the parts.

Yes, a LWO 283 will fit a Franken AP, but I have some issues with using this:

1. A Franken usually denotes genuine parts being used, which a LWO 283 is not for an AP. While more reliable, you're paying a premium for that privilege and not getting much else.

2. I'm not speaking about you specifically, but tastes change. I personally went from Rolex, to AP, to Omega, to Gens, and I never had an issue selling off my reps to make room for new interests, which is because I bought stock reps that were easily sold at market rates. This potential project you are thinking about will run you at least $1,000 just for the base watch and LWO movement (not including modding labor if you send it out). Factor in other parts and these builds can get into the high thousands depending on how far you go. If something comes up, and you either need money, or want to move onto another watch, you'll have an incredibility hard time unloading a Franken watch. Most members came here because they didn't want to spend thousands on the real thing, and no matter how many gen parts you use, it can never be sold as anything more than a rep, which severely limits the buying market.

If this is a project you want to undertake, go for it, but my reasoning for it being a bad idea are out of practicality.

fatarms

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that the gen movement has different locations for the subdial pinions that won't match up to the rep dial.  Same with the date window not lining up with the date wheel possibly?

I might be talking out of my ass here, but I thought those may be issues you may run into with a gen movement and rep dial.  Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

RepGuy
13 minutes ago, fatarms said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that the gen movement has different locations for the subdial pinions that won't match up to the rep dial.  Same with the date window not lining up with the date wheel possibly?

I might be talking out of my ass here, but I thought those may be issues you may run into with a gen movement and rep dial.  Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

I agree about the sunken date wheel, but I believe the new movement would be a straight swap without any modifications. 

AP_Superman
1 hour ago, RepGuy said:

I say it's a bad idea because it's a $600+ dollar upgrade in the low end, and usually over $1000 just for the movement since you usually have to buy a complete donor watch just to get the parts.

Yes, a LWO 283 will fit a Franken AP, but I have some issues with using this:

1. A Franken usually denotes genuine parts being used, which a LWO 283 is not for an AP. While more reliable, you're paying a premium for that privilege and not getting much else.

2. I'm not speaking about you specifically, but tastes change. I personally went from Rolex, to AP, to Omega, to Gens, and I never had an issue selling off my reps to make room for new interests, which is because I bought stock reps that were easily sold at market rates. This potential project you are thinking about will run you at least $1,000 just for the base watch and LWO movement (not including modding labor if you send it out). Factor in other parts and these builds can get into the high thousands depending on how far you go. If something comes up, and you either need money, or want to move onto another watch, you'll have an incredibility hard time unloading a Franken watch. Most members came here because they didn't want to spend thousands on the real thing, and no matter how many gen parts you use, it can never be sold as anything more than a rep, which severely limits the buying market.

If this is a project you want to undertake, go for it, but my reasoning for it being a bad idea are out of practicality.

I'm aware of the cost and time and patience needed. It's not something I would try to do over a 2 month time period. I think for the level I'd go would cost me around 2500. I'm ok with collecting parts for a year and then sending off.

AP_Superman
23 minutes ago, fatarms said:

Yeah from what I've read I'd do a gen dial with it. The pinion and other connecting parts will come with the lwo donor watch. If I get the movement itself then I'd be missing a few parts. I'd also need to get a new datewheel.